5.0 out of 5 stars 7 years and counting! The patch is still going strong!
Our tub is 25 years old fiberglass and was not installed properly with a support bed. Only two 2x4's were used to support the tub and at those stress points around the front 2x4 (where you stand to take a shower) a crack was created SEVEN years ago.

Published on November 28, 2008 by L. Watson

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S JUST OK
Published on November 12, 2009 by Punch Tech

5.0 out of 5 stars 7 years and counting! The patch is still going strong!, November 28, 2008
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit

We'd love to get rid of the tub.. but to delay such a major project and huge expense we decided to patch it and used the Bondo Home Solutions Tub and Shower Repair Kit. Well, we still have the tub after 7 years of everyday use.. and now a NEW 4" long crack formed this weekend near the same area, however the Bondo patch is strong as ever!

I pulled out the leftovers from the Bondo kit and one liquid had evaporated so I'm off trying to find a new Kit. This time I'm going use the whole container and cover a bigger area.

Maybe the NEGATIVE review is based on improper installation of the product? Maybe we applied it thicker? It IS a slight bump... but tapers down on the edges. It isn't PRETTY... it looks like a patch... you can mix the color to TRY to get a color match... but our tub is almond and we didn't get the patch color very close.

Just don't expect a perfect looking tub/shower... if you just need to repair a crack and can live with the way it looks, then you will be well satisfied with this product. It cures in only 2 hours. You cannot beat the price for quick fix. Water damage is far more expensive and to get a professional... well, you might as well replace the tub for that cost when you can patch it yourself for a mere 20 bucks. Good luck!!!

4.0 out of 5 stars minor correction to instructions, October 14, 2009
3M #20186 Tub/Shower Repair Kit

It doesn't actually look bad, and seems very solid. But if you have a major repair, such as for a crack, please note the following additions to instructions:

1) if crack or hole is in side of stall or tub, first use expanding spray foam to fill the void behind it, or the crack may reappear. Fill as much of the void as you can, and wait two days before sealing with product. Don't worry about overflow from the foam - after it dries, it will break off cleanly, and leave no trace in your stall or tub.

2) instructions say to use a thin coat of color-matched resin over dry patch to smoothen and prevent print-through. I did this, it looks good, but after 3 days and hours with a hairdryer, it still is not dry. Instructions probably should have read, use thin coat of unthickened, color-matched resin WITH HARDENER.

I dropped some hardener on the wet spots, and am still hoping for it to dry, in which case I expect it will work well. It doesn't look perfect, but pretty darned good.

3.0 out of 5 stars IT'S JUST OK, November 12, 2009
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
Ok, Heres the real scoop on a just a ok product. You better be good at reading directions because if you don't you will be lost. I am a professional punch tech and have years under my belt working with Bondo. the product did very well as far as blending in and repairing a hole in the shower floor in which I was working in.But i found it very difficult in matching the color to the shower floor. My advice would be now that I have used the product is use the white base and use only one drop of color (yellow/brown)at a time. mixing well after each drop until you get a close match. As far as the sand paper that comes with the kit you would sand for hours just to finish one job. invest in a random orbital sander and you will be pleased. and the blending of the product turned out much nicer.I do LOVE the stenght of the product and do feel it will hold up over time.just make sure your cilant knows there could be a difference in color.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Product, April 1, 2009
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
I was very pleased when I received this kit. It came complete with everything you needed even the sandpaper. I would make sure your ready to apply because once the color is added it sets up quickly. The product worked great and fixed the cracking and grazing in our fiberglass shower. I would highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, January 3, 2010
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
I was pleasantly surprised by the results of Bondo. You must read carefully, take your time, prepare your work area as described and prepare your actions. Be sure to match your color PRIOR to adding the hardener and take your time. There's no hurry at this point. HOWEVER, once you add the hardener you must act quickly because if you add too much hardener it will harden very quickly. As noted earlier..PLAN, PLAN, PLAN all your actions including having the fiberglass mesh cut to size PRIOR to adding hardener. Once the hardener is added and mixed thoroughly you have less than 3 minutes before it starts to harden. I initially painted the resin on the surface covering 2 inches past the area to be covered. Place the first layer of fiberglass and paint on a second coat of resin. Lay down the second layer of fiberglass and paint on a third layer of resin. Finally pour the remaining resin over the work area and use the squeegee to smooth it out being sure to cover the edges of the fiberglass. You WILL have fibers sticking out at the edges. Do not worry about it at this time but do make sure you pour extra resin around the entire fiberglass edge. Once it hardens (2 - 3 hours) you will be able to sand the high spots and the loose fibers will disappear and blend right in.

So, the install went just fine and luckily for me I only had to add white color agent as my shower stall is pure white...lucky me! I can see the patch but I really do not care because at this time it's saving me thou$and$ of dollar$ not having to replace the shower stall. Now all I have to do is wait a few months to see how well the patch holds up to my 210 pounds every day. If you've ever worked with Bondo on a car then you know this product should hold up just fine...we'll see.

4.0 out of 5 stars tub/shower repair, June 4, 2009
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
This was better than I had expected. My grandson slipped and punched hole in bathtub, and I am on limited income, so to replace tub is too costly. This, while not looking professional (more me than product), is not noticable unless one looks closely. The tub is physically sound. Easy to use--though instructions could be ordered differently, and better clean-up instructions (minor complaint), and does a very good job. Recommend for even large damage. It works.

4.0 out of 5 stars shower repair, May 4, 2010
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
hardest part of the repair is to match the color. patch works great otherwise

3.0 out of 5 stars Saved me remodelling my bathroom., May 17, 2013
Richard D.H. Cook (Redmond, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
It works, the patch is ugly. BUT it saved me thousands of dollars remodeling my bathroom.

Who would know there are so many shades of White!

Bath has not leaked since, so I am happy.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a difference a year makes! 400% Price increase!, April 28, 2010
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
I ordered this product 11 months ago for a crack that had developed in our fiberglass shower enclosure. At the time I ordered it was from Amazon.com fufilled by Polsteins and it was a super-deal $16.52 plus 8.25 for shipping. That's a total of $24.77 delivered! Meanwhile, after I got the product, I was somewhat intimidated, so I let it sit until just today (11 months later). The crack had gotten worse so I decided now was the time to act.

After reviewing the directions several times, and equipped with an extra pair of rubber gloves and trusty knee pads - I took the plunge today. It turned out to actually be fairly easy. It took about 45 minutes because of all of the checking and rechecking of directions to mix the parts properly. Then after putting on a couple of coats of resin over two layers of fiberglass we let it dry for the recommended 2 hours.

Then all it took was some sanding to feather the edges and finished off with some rubbing compound (everything was included in the kit except for the extra rubber gloves I used and the knee pads I used for extra comfort.

Honestly it looks great. Came out a perfect match to our white shower enclosure and the patch is barely noticeable. Most importantly, I have stopped the damage and don't have to worry about the crack leaking water into our slab.

Overall its a great product. Highly recommended. The only drawback is they raised the price by a factor of four!!! To buy the kit today it will cost you almost $100 delivered --- four times what I paid. That's quite a gouge, since inflation hasn't gone up 400% in that same time period.

4.0 out of 5 stars Preparation Goes a Long Way, April 19, 2010
This review is from: Tub and Shower Repair Kit
I needed a solution for repairing a crack in our fiberglass shower floor. The alternative was to tear out the builder-installed shower shell and replace with a new one. I was hopeful of saving some money, at least temporarily, by using the Bondo repair kit.

I opened the box and was a little disappointed to see some of the chemicals had been spilled inside. The odor was quite strong and requires a lot of ventilation while working to avoid being overpowering. The instructions are somewhat detailed, however don't expect to reuse the gloves and brush after the first application. The resin and hardener are so sticky, that the tools used to apply it become useless after hardening. I used the repair kit to patch a large crack on the shower floor. Applying the resin and fiberglass is quick, as you only have a few minutes before it becomes too hard to work with. The key in making it work is to spend your time preparing the surface area first. The included sandpaper helps, however I used a Dremel tool to clean the crack and prep the area even more. After applying many layers of fiberglass and hardener, the patch was dry after 12 hours.

The color-match tubes are a nice thought, however if you don't prepare enough resin/hardener mix before your first application, the stickiness makes it difficult to prepare/mix a second or third batch. My suggestion is to premix more than you need. This will also make the color consistent between multiple layers.

It's been a few weeks and the shower floor is holding up. So far, the band-aid approach has worked, saving me money until I can replace with a tiled shower.

Tub and Shower Repair Kit