Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM
Customer Discussions > The Tudors: Season 2 forum

Tudors History

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 17, 2009 7:38:45 PM PDT
A. Watkins says:
Im facinated with the Tudors and have watched the show and enjoyed it but does anyone know of a good book on the actual History of the Tudors and Henrys many wives. I have read about Anne but never on the rest of them.

Posted on May 18, 2009 1:05:50 AM PDT
kellie says:
hey there :)
you'll be wanting to go with the traditional historians- alison weir and antonia fraser both have great books about henry viii and his wives, david starkey is another brilliant historian with a book about henry and his wives. these three are the ones that deal specifically with the era (apologies if i have forgotten anyone important) but if you only want to know about these characters then i would recommend anything by these three. probably starkey would be the best one to go for, and he has a documentary series about them as well.

the other thing you'll find is that most of the books about "henry's wives" are mostly about katherine of aragon and anne boleyn. not much is known about the rest in great detail in comparison to these two.

hope this helps you
kellie

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2009 5:28:23 PM PST
Snookie says:
WOW...where do I start! I completely understand your fascination with the Tudor dynasty. But there is sooooo much more than the VIII and all his domestic upheavals. I fell in love with English royalty over 40 years ago. So I've had time to trace alot of family lines. Don't stop with just the Tudors. The most exciting line to me is the Plantagenets. It lasted the longest.

Here goes what you asked for: (Authors first) Alison Weir - Henry VIII, The Six Wives of Henry VIII, The Children of Henry VIII, The Life of Elizabeth I. Carolly Erickson - Bloody Mary, Royal Panoply Brief Lives of the English Monarchs. Margaret George - Mary (Stuart) Queen of Scotland and the Isles. She was not a Tudor although her mother was one of Henry VIII's sisters. Charles Phillips - The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Royal Britain. Alison Plowden - Tudor Women Queens and Commoners.

Go on-line and just type in the names of the ones you want to read about. If you have a large public library where you live, go there and check out what they have. But beware of novels. They always have a bunch of junk in them.

Happy hunting!

Susan W. Brown
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  May 17, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about