4.0 out of 5 stars Love Celie and Castle Glower!
This is by the same author as Dragon Slippers/Flight/Spear but aimed at a slightly younger audience.

Published on October 11, 2011 by Maria Waltner

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Story
Published on December 16, 2011 by never_more

4.0 out of 5 stars Love Celie and Castle Glower!, October 11, 2011
Maria Waltner (Cincinnati, Ohio United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

Celie is 11-years-old and the youngest princess in Castle Glower. And everybody knows the Castle loves her best. When the Castle is bored, which it usually is on Tuesdays since that is the day King Glower the 79th hears petitions, it opens up a new set of rooms. And one of Celie's favorite habits is to explore the Castle, mapping out the new rooms and finding it's secret passageways.

When Celie's eldest brother graduates from Wizard College, the king and queen leave Castle Glower to attend his graduation. When their carriage is attacked by bandits on the way back, everyone believes the worst but Celie, Rolf (the crown prince) and Lilah (Celie's very proper older sister) know they can't have been killed since the Castle hasn't changed anything about the king and queen's rooms. When foreign dignitaries arrive to "mourn" the passing of the king and queen, the royal children know that at least one of them is eyeing their kingdom in the hopes of taking over. The interlopers thought it'd be easy; what they failed to take into account was Castle Glower itself which helps the three royal children "play pranks" on those that would take what doesn't belong to them.

Some of the pranks are delightfully mischievous and would definitely appeal to the pre-teen reader. And some of Celie's escapades are quite daring. It has a very good pace to the plot and was never boring, even to me, and I am way outside the targeted audience range.

5.0 out of 5 stars Anyday at the Castle is a good day, October 17, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When tragedy strikes the royal family of Sleyne, Princess Celie works with her brother and sister to protect their home and save their kingdom. Celie may only be 11, but she's got the castle on her side with its ever changing floor plan, shrinking rooms, hidden passageways and more.

I absolutely loved this story. It was perfectly paced as it moved from introduction to political intrigue to danger and more. The story was both fun and serious. I couldn't put the book down because I had to know what happened next.

I loved the Castle. The kingdom knows that it is really the Castle who rules the land by deciding who is fit and who isn't. Those the Castle deems unworthy find their rooms shrinking and moving farther and farther away from the Throne Room, not to mention other mischief. Those the Castle favors find their rooms comfortable and convenient to find.

Princess Celie may be young, but she was a great character and easy to love and understand. Even though I'm in my 30's, I enjoyed reading about this young girl and her adventures. I laughed over the plots Celie and her siblings put into action and smiled over the way they cared for each other.

TUESDAYS AT THE CASTLE was a fast and easy read. The chapters are rather short making it easy to read just one a night with your child. This was such a fun story that I can't wait to read it again only this time with my kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Fantasy Romp Through a Magical Castle, October 16, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
`Tuesdays at the Castle' is the start of a new series from popular author Jessica Day George. Styled in the classic fantasy setting of knights, kings, princesses, evil councilors and magic castles; George adds a fun twist by giving the Castle Glower the unique power of change, and feelings. Eleven year old Princess Celie has a special relationship with the castle, and documents it's Tuesday architectural changes in her atlas. This becomes a key benefit when later her parents and older brother are attacked outside of the castle, and Celie and her brother Rolf and sister Lilah must navigate the treacherous duplicity of the King's councilors as they try and install the evil Prince Khelsh to the throne.

Descriptive, fast paced, with fun light-hearted characters, this is a great start to tale that has much more to give. Surprisingly advertised as a middle-grade novel, it really is an excellent read aloud for elementary school students, with it's vivid language, and detailed descriptions. The action never gets too scary or dark, so younger readers can definitely enjoy the magical transformations of Castle Glower, and the Glower children's bravery as they defend their home and realm .

3.0 out of 5 stars A Good Story, December 16, 2011
While I would put this particular book in the "independent readers) for difficulty, it deals with some older issues. Assassination, inheritance, lies, love, pretty much everything a good castle fantasy needs! It has a spunky young heroine girls can relate to, and many funny moments to alleviate some of the darker tones of the book. I enjoyed reading it, but the only reason I didn't like the book too much was the ending. I can't tell if it is supposed to lead into a sequel, or if it was just a hurried end. Everything finished off so quickly, it was hard to keep up with!

4.0 out of 5 stars Adorable! From Small Review blog, October 26, 2011
~Six reasons I loved Tuesdays at the Castle~

1.Family

I thought Tuesdays at the Castle was going to be all about Celie, and while Celie is the main focus (the third person narration has a focus on her), her older brother and sister are just as important.

I loved this! The interaction between the siblings was sweet and fun. I actually loved Celie's brother and sister so much that I would read the story all over again told from each of their perspectives.

2. Pogue

This is a MG book, so the romance is really, really minimal (like, only implied), but Pogue is where it's at and his devil-may-care, charming and flirty personality makes him a character to watch.

Maybe we could get a book told from Lilah's perspective so I can get more Pogue (Pogue has a little thing going on with Celie's older sister Lilah)? I could go for that!

3. A character who owns a pile of puppies

Puppies! I'm firmly in the camp that believes puppies make everything better.

4. Celie

Celie is everything I want in a MC--she's inquisitive, determined, and she so gets the value of secret passageways.

Celie may be super awesome for standing up against some pretty rotten characters, but she's also a real girl with courage AND fears and I could totally relate to her while also admiring her.

Plus, she's a princess, so there's automatic points for that.

5. Castle Glower

If I hadn't already been sold on reading Tuesdays at the Castle because this is a Jessica Day George book and I'll read anything she writes, that castle that magically adds new rooms and features would have cinched the deal.

Half the reason I read so many castle/mansion books is because I get to explore big houses! The idea of a castle that is constantly growing and changing and adding new cool secret passageways (can you tell I have a thing for secret passageways?) and magical objects is just so full of win that I think they need to invent a new level of awesome just for Castle Glower.

The fact that the castle is also effectively a character in its own right who loves the royal family just makes the whole thing explode with awesomeness even more. Do you remember Nana from Peter Pan? You know, the dog who watches over the children? Imagine if she were a castle and could create magical objects. Pretty neat, right?

6. Political intrigue

This is a MG book, but I think the political intrigue was still pretty entertaining. I really wished I could reach into the book and start slapping the bad guys. They cook up some nasty schemes, and I liked how new layers were peeled back, slowly exposing their duplicity.

Of course this is a MG book, so none of the bad guys got a (well deserved) actual skewering, but Jessica Day George gave me plenty of opportunities to laugh at their comeuppances.

And, while I knew everything would work out in the end (it's a Jessica Day George book--she never fails to give me the Happily Ever After I want), there were a bunch of times where I was so wrapped up in the characters' plights that I was practically plunged alongside them into the depths of despair wondering how in the world they were going to fix everything.

~Stars off?~

I'm kind of just a teensy little bit of an impatient reader (which is probably the biggest understatement of the year). So the slower beginning made me a little antsy. It wasn't like nothing was happening, but it felt like there was a lot of waiting around in the beginning.

Pogue also gets sent off on a quest-type mission and I'll admit that I pouted and may have even stomped my foot a little when I realized *I* wasn't tagging along.

Instead I was stuck in the castle (which, yeah, I know as far as consolation prizes go this one wasn't half bad. But, but, I missed out on a QUEST, with Pogue! It kinda felt like getting stuck at the kiddie table when all the grownups are discussing juicy secrets).

~Bottom line~

I am a fawning, pom-pom waving fangirl for Jessica Day George, and Tuesdays at the Castle just reminded me again why. Somehow she always manages to spin a cotton candy confection of fluffy happy goodness with a captivating plot, endearing characters, and seriously bad villains.

Lucky for me, Tuesdays at the Castle is just the beginning! There will be at least two more books about Celie and her magical castle (and her brother and sister? And Pogue? I hope!)

But, don't let that scare you off because Tuesdays at the Castle can easily be read as a standalone. In fact, if I hadn't read on Jessica Day George's blog that there would be sequels, I never would have thought there was more to come (but I am SO so looking forward to more!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A parent's review: adorable, January 28, 2012
This review is from: Tuesdays at the Castle (Hardcover)
I'm a read-aloud mom with a family of boys, and it gives me a different perspective on children's literature.

First, my kids are not picky about what I read to them -- they love just about everything as long as we are spending time together.

Second, boys like stories with boy heroes and boy themes, but they also love stories with great adventures and beautiful vocabulary.

Third, even a princess story can be appealing to boys, if it is virtuous and brave.

This princess story IS virtuous and brave. It is a winner across the board -- great story, great characters, great suspense, great villain, great ending.

Don't miss this one -- it will stay in your children's imagination for a long, long time.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fabulous Fairy-Tale Princess, September 22, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Celie and her siblings are the daughters (and sons) of the 79th King Glower (of Glower Castle, of course.) That may sound stuffy and boring. I mean, when your dad's NAME is Glower, how happy can your childhood be? For Celie, Lilah, Rolf, and Bran, childhood can be grand. Their dad is the kind of father who notices what his children excell at and finds ways to let them use those gifts. Why make your oldest son the heir when he wants to be a wizard and your second son is perfect for the throne one day? Why tell your youngest daughter to stay tidy and sit at embroidery lessons when she is obviously born to explore your very special castle?

As for the castle itself, it is a very - um- unusual place to live. Why would it need exploring? Why, of course we must explore a castle that grows rooms (and shrinks them and discards them) at will. It is important to pay attention to the paths in a place where the paths all move. (To be perfectly fair, there are two paths that never move so you can always get to the throne room or the kitchen, and aren't they the important bits, anyway?) The castle also seems to notice and feel and think. It may even be able to predict future events. (Why else would there be ginger cookies, rope and a dictionary in a newly opened room?)

So between this marvelous castle and these great parents and fun siblings, life here should be grand. And it is until the King and Queen are lost in a gory ambush and a very persistent enemy gets comfortable very close to the heart of the kingdom. Without their parents, Rolf (the Crown Prince), Lilah (the older daughter, very capable of castle management) and Celie (younger daughter and possibly the Castle's favorite royal) will have their hands full keeping danger at bay and saving the kingdom. With some unexpected allies, they just might be able to do it.

This is a wonderfully fun read for upper elementary and young tweens. Avid fairy tale fans through the end of middle school might even enjoy it since Rolf and Lilah are nearly main characters, and they are older than Celie's 11. Like other works by Jessica Day George, the writing is snappy and quick while the word choice and flow are nicely sophisticated for the target readers. Of course, if you are the teacher or parent of a prospective reader, you should definitely test it out before you give it to them. (Oh, OK, that's just because it is also fun reading for adults who love kid lit and you wouldn't want to miss it!)

5.0 out of 5 stars My daughter LOVED it!, November 5, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My third grader adored this book. Her words: "I enjoyed the plot, which is about Celie's 14-year-old brother becoming king after their parents were ambushed and the Council trying to get a member of their group, who is a foreign prince, to help him rule. The foreign prince tries to become king of that land."

She thinks other kids would like it "because it's pretty interesting to read about a princess who lives in a castle that builds itself and helps her stop the bad guys."

She adds, "The author has a real skill that makes the story seem like fantasy and realistic fiction at the same time, because except for the castle building itself, this probably could be able to happen in real life."

Due to the crazy Halloween snowstorm, we were faced with a snow day---no school! I handed her this book and didn't hear a peep for hours. Two thumbs up!

2.0 out of 5 stars Half the Book is Good, November 13, 2012
Josephine Roberts (Richmond, Kentucky) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tuesdays at the Castle (Paperback)
I found this book to be agonizing until about half way through. The kids think their parents are killed and are emotionally distraught throughout the first portion of the book. Not a good pick for kids who are not thrilled with the idea of their family being brutally murdered. The book seems too long; the first half drags on and could be greatly condensed. The second half of the book was much more entertaining; it was refreshing to read about something other than funerals, memorials and the kids crying so hard that they soaked their clothes. The living castle concept is very original and adventurous, too bad it was wrapped around such a negative storyline. I would love to see if the author can continue the series in a more positive, less bloody manner.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yearning to Read Review, July 11, 2012
SUMMARY -
Princess Celie loves Tuesdays. That is the day the Castle, Castle Glower, grows a new room. Celie prides herself in knowing the Castle almost backward and forward. She's even working on a map of Castle Glower - something that has never been done before. All is well for the royal family - except that her parents have gone off to her brother Bran's graduation without her. But when the King and Queen's carriage arrives back at the castle, covered in arrows and empty except for a royal guard, Celie's parents are presumed dead. Nothing can stop Celie, however, from believing they are alive. But what shall be done about the schemers, liars, and murderers in court? It is up to Celie and the castle to protect the throne and find the King and Queen, before it's too late!

MY THOUGHTS -
Jessica Day George is just wonderful. I love her books... They're so satisfying and undeniably adorable, and Tuesdays is no different.

The story starts off on the slower side, but that doesn't mean it's boring. Celie is adorable and the Castle is mind-bogglingly fantastic, so you can do without the action. But when the action does start up, there's no putting the book down! Celie's adventures and smart thinking are so fun to read about!

I love books and movies where kids outsmart the bad guys or trick them into a trap. Like Home Alone type stuff. There is plenty of tricking and trapping in Tuesdays - enough to make me laugh out loud a few times!

Celie's bravery, hope and endurance really shines in this book, but the others are just as important. Lilah, Rolf, and Pogue (sigh...) worked and planned and tricked right alongside Celie to get the baddies away and save the kingdom!

Before I close - Castle Glower itself was amazing. I think it's a brilliant idea and I seriously am ecstatic to see what else JDG does with it - because just sitting here I've thought of, like, five different stories she could write with the castle alone! Celie's relationship with the Casle was so sweet and personal and I'm looking forward to more of that!

And Pogue - can we please have some more Pogue? PLEASE??!

This book reminds me of...
Lots of colors
Cobblestones
Pointy-nosed, funny-accented villains
Pranking the enemy
Strong family ties

For the Parents -
Nothing! Recommended 9+

Tuesdays at the Castle
Tuesdays at the Castle by Jessica Day George (Hardcover - October 25, 2011)
$16.99 $12.92