3,000 Reviews
 (2,187)

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly makes one think.
Published on April 18, 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving, But Too Brief To Be Useful
Published on October 29, 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Certainly makes one think., April 18, 2001
By A Customer
This book is a best seller and continues to stay on the best seller list because in my opinion most people down deep understand the truth of Morrie's basic philosophy that people living exclusively in a materialistic world generally do so to replace what they feel is missing from their lives even though they may not be consciously aware, at the moment, of what precisely is "missing." What is missing ? I found part of this answer in a general sense in this book. I found even more precise and concrete answers in the book An Encounter With A Prophet. I highly recommend both of these books to anyone seeking to find out why they seem to continue to feel something is missing from life.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book to remind you of what really matters in life, February 7, 2000
L. Wallach (Virginia, USA) - See all my reviews
I read this book after hearing so many good things about it and the TV movie based on it. It's a very quick read - I finished it in two days, which is unheard of for me! The book is basically about Morrie Schwartz, a history professor at Brandeis University, who has been diagnosed with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and is dying. A former student, Mitch Albom, who had become a fairly well known sports writer, heard about his teacher from an interview with Ted Koppel on Nightline and decided to pay a visit. This visit soon turned into regular meetings - on Tuesdays - since at the time there was a strike at Albom's newspaper. Albom plots Morrie's declining health, which is quite depressing, but at the same time imparts Morrie's wisdom. One definitely can get a sense of what the important things in life are from someone who has little left, but Morrie is particularly eloquent and seems to carry an upbeat dignity to the end. Sometimes it takes the wisdom of a dying man to jog us enough to realize that human relationships and health are more important than all the gadgets, modern conveniences, pressures to get ahead professionally and monetarily combined. This is just the main point that Morrie starts "teaching" Albom and getting through to someone who, like many of us from time to time, have gotten obsessed with the real trivialities of life. The only complaint I have about this book is that it wasn't longer. I wanted to take more time and savor the wisdom and sweetness of this old man, but, like his illness's swiftness, reading the book seemed to go by all too quickly.

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is The Most Powerful Book I've Ever Read, December 9, 1999
J. Hoopes (Costa Mesa, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This book has had more impact on my life than anything else I've ever read, by far. It's a reminder to appreciate the simple, little things in life. It's a reminder that when you're dead, the things you've accumulated and the things you've done will disappear. What will remain is the ways that you've affected or touched other people.
This is a simple book with simple messages.
Live fully and in the moment. Treat others with respect, kindness, love, and dignity. Seek joy.
However, these messages are easily lost given the constantly increasing pressures we all face. This book is a guide to a way that you can live your life where you'll be able to look back at the end and feel peace and contentment.
I've given copies of this book to many people that I know. I encourage you to read this book and do so with an open mind and heart.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Inspiration, November 30, 1999
Deanna (Baton Rouge, LA) - See all my reviews
The summer after my high school graduation I was wondering why I felt as though something was missing. My view of life had become that of Mitch's, fast paced. In my rush to go on my senior trip and off to college I had forgotten the true meaning of family and friendship. Before leaving for school a dear friend gave me this book. As I began reading, I could not stop. Tuesdays With Morrie portrays the true meaning of life in such clarity that made me want to reach out to people (family and friends) of whom I had not been as close to as I would have liked. This book taught me to open my heart to people I hold dear and to consider dear my 'enemies' as well. It doesn't matter if you are rich or poor, you truly only need to love and to allow yourself to be loved. When ever I feel as though I'm losing touch with the importance of my life, I begin to read this book. Immediately after putting the book down I alway want to call my parents. They are the people closest to me and they are also the people who have made me and will continue to make me who I am yet to become (like Morrie and his father, mother, and step-mother). I do however find it a shame that Morrie did infact die, yet he made his death our inspiration. The lessons taught in this book are beautiful and I hope his book continues to guide me in my trying times. Allow it to guide you through your life, and pass on the book to a loved one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Relating to daeth with ALS, December 3, 1999
Unfortunately, I read this book 2 years ago--less than a year after my Mom died of ALS. When I read it, all I saw was the dreaded disease and someone coping with death. It helped me alot, but I'd like to read it again to get the other message that it celebrates LIFE! What a great story. If I could, I would buy 100 copies and give them out to anyone who was frowning, grouchy, or simply needed a lift! A great present for ANY occasion or no occasion at all!

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming tale of human relationships, December 14, 1999
By A Customer
Three novels have moved me to tears this year--East of the Mountains, The Triumph & Glory, and this wonderful book, Tuesdays with Morrie. It is about facing life's difficulties with honesty and courage, friendship, and farewell. Ten stars and a grateful thank you to the author.

5.0 out of 5 stars No money promised , just answers, November 1, 2004
This review is from: Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson (Paperback)
Within this story about the special connection between a spiritual mentor and his pupil, the old man imparts his wisdom his pupil regarding many troubling questions about human existence. This book along with the book An Encounter with a Prophet both present spiritual, not religious, answers to anyone open to truth.

These two books unlike many of the popular "spiritual books" that tell you how get your millions, speak of real meanings and values. I highly recommend both books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweetness and Sensibility in "Morrie", December 22, 1999
My mother is one of those Oprah's Book Clubbers who always reads the latest top sellers and tries to force them on me, her lit student daughter, when she's through.
Needless to say, I usually refuse.
For some reason, however, I accepted her copy of "Tuesdays With Morrie." I'm not sure what prompted me to open the cover and give it a shot...but for the next hour or so, I found myself completely absorbed in the book.
Okay, so it's not the best writing. And yeah, okay, it's sort of cliche at times. But it's sincere. This book was created from a very real place in the author's heart, and I've gotta give that some credit.
Oh, alright...and I got a little weepy near the end.
Most of all, I completely understood the book's mass-appeal factor. This is a story for everyone: young; old; educated; non-educated; white collar; blue collar...it doesn't matter. It's not a story about being something...it's a story about just being.
This book isn't going to tell you anything you haven't heard before, but it may make you listen with a different perspective.
And for what that's worth, I recommend it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Moving, But Too Brief To Be Useful, October 29, 1999
By A Customer
It's difficult, and perhaps unkind, to say anything negative about this book. Morrie Schwartz showed a remarkable courage facing his difficult death, and Mitch Albom cares a great deal about Morrie. Morrie's words ring true, and if we all followed them, we'd be better off. But too little space (and depth) is devoted to each idea, and too little recognition is given to the difficulty of changing oneself for the better. As a result, it's unlikely that Morrie's words will have a lasting effect on anyone. This is the kind of book that one reads, nods sagely at the advice, sheds a tear or two--and then goes on behaving exactly as before.

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW... Yesterday I Wept., March 14, 2000
For those of you who think the importance of life is to get more, have more, be more, STOP. Sit a while take time to read the book, no don't just read it, absorb every lesson that is held within these pages. I never knew how much time I wasted on the trivial things until I sat down and read this. I was so inspired by Morrie, who even up to his death kept on giving, quenching Mitchs' thirst for knowledge, showing him the direction to go in. A direction that would lead him to a truly happy and fulfilled life. The book is so easy to read, the chapters are short, they get straight to the point and a lesson can be gained from each and every one of them. Morrie Schwartz was an articulate man, who knew just what to say at the right time - like a wise uncle. He had his share of grief, and throughout his life learned from everything he went through. Since reading this book I have bought a copy for every one of my family members and a few close friends (the bookshop thought I had gone crazy!). We all waste too much time on the things that aren't important, and never seem to have the time for things that are. Well, read the book, learn the lessons, and your life will never be the same again..... It will be truly enriched.

Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, a Young Man, and Life's Greatest Lesson