4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly but yes there is a bit of shadowing
This hood fits perfectly, yes it does cause a slight shadow on the edges if you are using an 18mm lens, but move it in slightly and none. Also people complained because the hood would be set in the wrong position due to auto focusing, just unscrew the hood very slightly and move it, works perfectly. Come on it was cheap what do you expect.
Published on January 27, 2012 by Philip B. Davison

1.0 out of 5 stars Casts shadows and creates artifacts
A lens hood should help a photographer sharpen and restrict his subject, shield the lens from unwanted light, and provide desirable differences in the final photo. This one casts shadows and creates artifacts and is therefore not recommended.
Published on January 18, 2011 by loce_the_wizard

1.0 out of 5 stars Casts shadows and creates artifacts, January 18, 2011
This review is from: 52mm Hard Tulip Lens Hood for Nikon D5100 D5000 D3000 D40x D60 (Electronics)

2.0 out of 5 stars Not up to par, April 5, 2012
Not what I thought, but what in todays economy did I think $3.81 would buy. This one does cast shadows, adjust and live with that, ok. The problem is or at least for me, as soon as I took it out of the box I noticed the threads had a pulled look to them, first thought soft plastic. I was right even though I was particular in intalling the hood and tightning the ring, it almost stripped. I put the camara in the camara bag and upon removal after a trip, the hood had popped off. Oh well get what you pay for, but hardly nothing anymore is what it used to be. For us over 50 we understand a little. Think I will use this one for a float test. Throw it overboard and see if it floats.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fits perfectly but yes there is a bit of shadowing, January 27, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars NOT GOOD AT ALL FOR NIKON D5100, February 24, 2013
DO NOT BUY THIS FOR NIKON D5100 THE HOOD GETS IN THE WAY OF EVERY SHOT! I DEFINITELY DO NOT RECOMMEND!

1.0 out of 5 stars Lens Rotates with zoom and blocks field of view - Worst Design Possible, March 7, 2012
Once attached to the lens, the tulip hood revolves and there is no way to adjust the tulip. Also at 18mm, the tulip edge is visible in the frame.

Worst design possible. Dont buy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., April 4, 2012
This lens attachment is kind of sketchy. When I went to screw it onto my kit 18-55mm lens, I could actually see the "petals" [of the "tulip" hood] in the eyefinder, in the sense of vignetting. Although vignetting is practically inevitable with almost any lens attachment, I truly wasn't anticipating it with THIS particular accessory. It takes a bit of jerking around to find the "sweet spot" with the lens hood when you put it on the lens by using the included "placekeeper," (or whatever it's called) piece that screws on the rear of the lens hood and could lock a specific spot where the lens hood is currently screwed into. The "sweet spot" for me is BASICALLY with the lens hood facing vertical (at the minimum focal ranges I am hindered to use as a result of the lens hood's natural vignetting: 21-25mm). A trick I figured out was find the sweet spot that produces the least amount of vignetting at 18mm, and then... simply don't shoot at 18mm! Sounds really ripoff-ish, but sometimes you have to build a house with no tools. I found it safe to shoot at at least 21-25mm; anywhere within that focal length range (as a MINIMUM) eliminates any vignetting. If you can sacrifice the couple feet for using a longer focal length, I strongly advise you do so. I do recommend this accessory to (obviously not to professional) photographers that simply need a lens hood for their natural purpose of inhibiting the transmission of DIRECT lightwaves into the lens, and yadda yadda. Until I figure out a better way to eliminate the vignetting, I, too, will be using longer focal lengths to stay safe. Abarrations like this DO, actually, benefit the learning photographers. As I was saying before about not using the bare minimum focal length with {THESE particular] kit lens (18mm), having an accessory that vignettes your image [at minimum focal length] forces you to shoot in a different "norm," that norm being a longer focal length. I have been shooting at 35mm at my last photoshoot around the city, and it definitely teaches you new things. It's always good to learn. Photography is an art - there is no end to creativity! Do make the best of what you have; I'm sure you won't regret it!

***Note that this lens hood only fits lenses with 52mm mounts! I am using a Nikon D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens. Yes, the product description says it goes for most Nikon D-series DSLRs, but I just wanted to clarify so.***

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I wanted!, March 12, 2014
Love this tulip lens hood... I use it for all portrait shots indoors and out. It's suggest for other Nikon Dseries cameras, however it fits my D7100 just fine.

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like each pic taken will have to be cropped, August 17, 2014
I wish I didn't buy this lens hood for my Nikon D5100 because the picture has a shadow around it caused by this hood.
Looks like each pic taken will have to be cropped.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not too bad., July 3, 2014
It's spin when lens focusing but it's ok with my lens kits . Not too bad .

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 3, 2014