Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback Learn more

VINE VOICEon January 18, 2011
A lens hood should help a photographer sharpen and restrict his subject, shield the lens from unwanted light, and provide desirable differences in the final photo. This one casts shadows and creates artifacts and is therefore not recommended.
on April 5, 2012
Not what I thought, but what in todays economy did I think $3.81 would buy. This one does cast shadows, adjust and live with that, ok. The problem is or at least for me, as soon as I took it out of the box I noticed the threads had a pulled look to them, first thought soft plastic. I was right even though I was particular in intalling the hood and tightning the ring, it almost stripped. I put the camara in the camara bag and upon removal after a trip, the hood had popped off. Oh well get what you pay for, but hardly nothing anymore is what it used to be. For us over 50 we understand a little. Think I will use this one for a float test. Throw it overboard and see if it floats.
on January 27, 2012
This hood fits perfectly, yes it does cause a slight shadow on the edges if you are using an 18mm lens, but move it in slightly and none. Also people complained because the hood would be set in the wrong position due to auto focusing, just unscrew the hood very slightly and move it, works perfectly. Come on it was cheap what do you expect.
on April 4, 2012
This lens attachment is kind of sketchy. When I went to screw it onto my kit 18-55mm lens, I could actually see the "petals" [of the "tulip" hood] in the eyefinder, in the sense of vignetting. Although vignetting is practically inevitable with almost any lens attachment, I truly wasn't anticipating it with THIS particular accessory. It takes a bit of jerking around to find the "sweet spot" with the lens hood when you put it on the lens by using the included "placekeeper," (or whatever it's called) piece that screws on the rear of the lens hood and could lock a specific spot where the lens hood is currently screwed into. The "sweet spot" for me is BASICALLY with the lens hood facing vertical (at the minimum focal ranges I am hindered to use as a result of the lens hood's natural vignetting: 21-25mm). A trick I figured out was find the sweet spot that produces the least amount of vignetting at 18mm, and then... simply don't shoot at 18mm! Sounds really ripoff-ish, but sometimes you have to build a house with no tools. I found it safe to shoot at at least 21-25mm; anywhere within that focal length range (as a MINIMUM) eliminates any vignetting. If you can sacrifice the couple feet for using a longer focal length, I strongly advise you do so. I do recommend this accessory to (obviously not to professional) photographers that simply need a lens hood for their natural purpose of inhibiting the transmission of DIRECT lightwaves into the lens, and yadda yadda. Until I figure out a better way to eliminate the vignetting, I, too, will be using longer focal lengths to stay safe. Abarrations like this DO, actually, benefit the learning photographers. As I was saying before about not using the bare minimum focal length with {THESE particular] kit lens (18mm), having an accessory that vignettes your image [at minimum focal length] forces you to shoot in a different "norm," that norm being a longer focal length. I have been shooting at 35mm at my last photoshoot around the city, and it definitely teaches you new things. It's always good to learn. Photography is an art - there is no end to creativity! Do make the best of what you have; I'm sure you won't regret it!

***Note that this lens hood only fits lenses with 52mm mounts! I am using a Nikon D3100 with the kit 18-55mm lens. Yes, the product description says it goes for most Nikon D-series DSLRs, but I just wanted to clarify so.***
on December 29, 2012
This was offered for a riduciously low price so I thought "Why not?"

There are many reviews complaining about the vingetting when used with a 'wide-angle' lens. True, the lens hoods for such lenses need to be rather narrow.

This item is for a lens with a 52 mm threaded front. It works great on my Nikkor 1.8 50 mm lens, it screws right on with no trouble and easily locks in place with a locking ring. Problem is that with it installed, the lens cap will not fit. Also, unlike the tulip lens hood for my Nikkor zoom lens, you can't take it off and reverse it to store it on the lens when you put it away.

If you are using the +1 ~ +10 macro filters (the magnifying lenses that screw on the front) this must be screwed on last.

Now, to address those who complain about it being visible on wide angle lenses--the inscide of the lens hood is scribed with lines. It makes it possible to take a pair of pliers to the long petals of the tulip and snap off the bits of plastic that get in the way of the wide angle lens. At the low price this is offered, it would be possible to get a few and modify them to the needed size.

Four stars for the simplicity and minus one for the lack of putting the lens cap back on the lens when this is installed.
on March 16, 2014
I saw complaints about the threads, shadows, and vignetting - all of which were particularly considerable. I also saw reviews that said nothing about these matters, which makes it tough to decide one way or the other. So, for a few bucks I bought it. I had no problems with any of these issues, as long as I used it with the lens ONLY. I like to keep a a skylight filter on my lens and often will add a polarizer. This renders the hood useless. The product description does not claim that it is for use with a lens and these filters.
on March 7, 2012
Once attached to the lens, the tulip hood revolves and there is no way to adjust the tulip. Also at 18mm, the tulip edge is visible in the frame.

Worst design possible. Dont buy.
on April 29, 2014
this is the only front cover I use on my Nikon 5201 taking pictures it's great that controls the the light if needed if you can get you can relocate the large tulips to the other side and its very very useful
on August 20, 2013
I like the hood but the threads that screw into the camera lens are not so good and it takes some effort to get it on...it also can pop off real easy if you bump it up against something and its not on right. Its ok for the money you just have to get used to it.
on April 30, 2013
This can't be used with any type of adapters as the angles are designed
for mounting on the camera directly or on a very thin filter.
Too much depth from the camera lens will get shadows around the edge.
This is to be expected and is not a defect.