Truck Month Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Eric Clapton Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Father's Day Gifts The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation

on January 26, 2015
I don't know how anyone could not enjoy this book. It is a charming and informative journey down one of the fascinating tributaries of the river of history. I remember reading about the tulip craze in a brief passage of a book I once read in high school. I was always curious about it. These little sideshows of social and economic history have always been a passion of mine. peterjpuleo.blogspot.com Author "Cop on the Scene" available on Amazon.
on December 7, 2006
I read this book years ago - and it's still with me. Observing the stock market, real estate, or gold, I'm reminded of the lessons it imparts.

How often can you say that about a book?

And it was fun to read - if you like histories, of course.
on September 4, 2001
A quick and most interesting read. Considering recent events in our own stock market this historical recount of greed and wild speculation in tulip bulbs over 300 years ago is quite timely. Businessman and history buff alike would enjoy this book.
VINE VOICEon September 17, 2005
I like my history in bite-sized chunks; focused on one event but written broadly enough that it gives a decent feeling for the precedential value of the subject. Of course, we all know the relevance of the tulipmania, having lived through the internet boom--but it is particuarly fascinating to discover the parallels that teach, again, that history repeats itself.

Is the lesson that market bubbles are the result of the destruction of barriers to entry? Do bubbles result when those who previously could not afford to enter the established futures/equity markets are suddenly granted the ability to profit from speculation? (One thinks immediately of the contemporary refinancing craze) Are there parallels to the Roaring Twenties, to the skyrocketing price of land at the present time? Most certainly. Are we too dumb to see it coming? Probably.

I found that Mr. Dash strikes an excellent balance between telling the story and providing ancillary history, between depth and breadth. I'm no Doctor of Economics, but I felt that the work went into sufficient detail to allow parallels to be appropriately drawn from the event. And, it was a fun read. I'm going to plant tulips.
on July 6, 2002
Tulips are one of my favorite flowers and wanted to learn more about the history of the flower. Mike Dash's description of the Tulip speculation in seventeenth century Netherlands is fascinating and colorful. It is interesting that the most coveted tulips were the "diseased" variety and one that we will never see in our lifetime. I think it would be interesting to see a "Semper Augustus" today.
Dash tries to explain the reasons for the tulip mania in both Netherlands and Turkey and he succeeds with the little evidence he could muster. The book is entertaining and worth every penny.
on May 28, 2013
Whether or not you are interested in flowers, the book gives quite a unique inside to the era, reading more like a mystery book than a history book. Well written and an easy read, it is a highly recommended read.
on March 28, 2002
Mike Dash has written an engaging work on a rather obscure subject-tulips. I bought this work to find out about his style before reading "Batavia's Graveyard" and found it enjoyable. My only real quarrel with Dash is his tendency to skip around on dates and events. It is quite distracting.
on January 18, 2016
Well written, easy to read history. I love history. I loved this book.
on May 13, 2014
I found this book very hard to get through, though I did finish it. It is more of an economic history, for people who are more financially inclined that I am. I would have preferred a more people-oriented focus.
on August 1, 2013
Craziness. People betting on prices going up, up, up. Taking loans, flipping tulips, gambling on futures. Everyone was nuts over tulips and then it was over just like that.