on April 16, 2014
In my experience, Tumi Alpha-series suitcases are literally indestructible. Unfortunately, airlines have been changing their acceptable dimensions for carry-on luggage, so my former Tumi Alpha rollaboard, which I once expected to use indefinitely, is now frowned upon (too tall for today's domestic flight requirements). On a semi-whim in a Tumi store I ended up acquiring the Super Leger, which has exceeded my expectations. While dimensionally smaller than the old Tumi rollaboard, the lack of an interior "perimeter" frame makes it so flexible you can stuff in *a lot* more. Like, just keep cramming. Somehow, it all fits without damaging the zipper. And even wildly overstuffed, it will slide into an airline overhead bin without a big fuss. Plus, it meets international carryon size requirements (which are even smaller than domestic), and the lack of frame cuts maybe 2-3 pounds off the weight of the bag.

The only downside I've found is that it's less stable when left to stand alone (like when you need both hands to extract your ID). It won't *definitely* tip over, but it very well might, and placing a heavy secondary bag (i.e. briefcase/tote/"personal item") on top of it can add to the unsteadiness unless you find a way to make that a counterweight. All this could probably be resolved if the Super Leger had four wheels instead of two (making it a "spinner" style), but it's still a terrific suitcase as-is. Just be aware that it needs a little more attention than many similar bags. It'd be no problem for a frequent traveler speeding through airports alone, but is probably not the right choice for, say, someone traveling with small children.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
on February 21, 2014
My last bag broker after less than two years so I picked up this Tumi as they have a solid reputation for quality. The bag doesn't have any cutting-edge features but it gets the job done. I wanted something that won't fail me and so far this delivers.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again