5.0 out of 5 stars Rub a Dub Dub, Baby Loves His Tummy Tub
Customer Video Review     Length:: 0:34 Mins
Published on June 5, 2011 by fraujoolie

First, I find it a little disturbing that those posting negative reviews on here have gotten somewhat negative comments in response. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can totally see how their might be a range of reactions to this product.

Published on July 25, 2010 by Beanergirl

5.0 out of 5 stars Rub a Dub Dub, Baby Loves His Tummy Tub, June 5, 2011
Length:: 0:34 Mins

Here is our eight week old baby, loving his Tummy Tub. This is our second child. With our first, we didn't have the Tummy Tub and those early baths weren't this pleasant. He'd get cold, complain, gripe, and bath time would be over in a hurry. With the Tummy Tub, my baby is genuinely happy. Actually, he gripes when I pull him out. I use the tub for bath time, but also for when he's super crabby. Strip down and put him in the Tub, he's a happy camper. You'd be hard-pressed to find a video of such a happy little 8-weeker in a traditional bath. He usually falls fast asleep after his bath, no matter what time of day.

A word of advice: if you have a small baby (this guy was 6 lbs when he was born), wad up a small towel and place it in the bottom of the tub. It will help prop him up. I also didn't fill up to the line, when he was so small. Once he was around 10 lbs, he didn't need the towel anymore. Even now, I still don't fill it quite to the line, because it starts to get too close to his chin. I think armpit height is enough.

For anyone worried about the safety of the tub, you really need to relax. It's not like you should ever be out of arm's reach with your bathing child -- ever -- no matter what sort of tub you use. Baby is not going to spontaneously flip in the tub and instantly drown. Good parents are always right there, participating in bath time and keeping a close hand on the baby! If you're too stupid to stay close, then maybe you should rethink your choice to have a baby.

If you're worried about getting your baby "clean," here's another word of advice: little babies aren't super dirty. There is no need to scrub them silly. I read some reviews about parents having a hard time picking their baby up to scrub them. If they have a messy bottom, you should probably get a soapy washcloth and clean up that undercarriage right when they poop...

We also have the step stool holder. I guess it's something you really don't "need" (we were placing the tub within the sink at first), but I wanted to be able to sit, so I ordered the stool. It's expensive, but very cute. My 3 yr old uses it as a step stool, when not in use.

I would never recommend saving a buck and getting a wash bucket. It's not shaped right, you can't see in, the baby can't see out, and you don't know what sort of creepy chemicals it's made of. There is nothing classy about dunking your baby in an orange Homer bucket.

5.0 out of 5 stars Splish Splash In The Tummy Tub!, August 6, 2010
Length:: 1:39 Mins

I know we all have pictures of our newborns in their newborn bathtubs or sinks screaming their heads off. It's cold, they aren't covered all of the way and they hate it. I made Jon give Violet her first bath because I hate it so much! I feel so horrible. I would give anything to not have to go through that experience for the first couple of weeks.

When I was sent a TummyTub to review, I was so excited! I don't have a newborn yet, but my Hubby and I are working on #3! I did get to try this tub out on my 18 month old daughter and the results were awesome! I think those flat bath tubs feel unnatural to a newborn baby who has been all scrunched up inside a belly for 9 months. We always talk about the benefits of swaddling and how they like to be bundled up to mimic being inside the womb. It makes perfect sense to me that they would want the same experience in water.

When I received my TummyTub I was shocked. For whatever reason, I didn't think it would be as big as it was! I took it out of the box and my baby wanted to get right inside. I put her in and carried her around in it as a joke and when I went to take her out she screamed at me. She loved being in there and fit in it perfectly. For some reason I thought she would be too big for it, even though they say its great from birth to age 3!

My daughter loved being in her TummyTub and I loved that it uses much less water than a traditional baby bath! It has a very handy fill line, so you use the perfect amount every time.

Let me give you some of the benefits:

FOR BABIES
- Babies can relax into the familiar fetal position
- It is made out of a soft, baby-friendly material
- Babies can be immersed up to their shoulders and so they stay warm longer(love this!)
- Especially recommended for premature babies
- It is great for babies who get colic/gassy.

FOR PARENTS
- Stress-free!
- Easy handling of baby
- Lightweight even when it is full!(I have had c-sections so this is especially important for me!)
- Ergonomic hand grips!
- Takes up way less space than a regular baby bath
- The wide rim at the top is great for arm rests for Moms and Dads

SAFETY
- Polypropylene allows for easy viewing of baby
- Easy handling of babies makes it safer
- No harmful substances
- No sharp edges
- Very stable!!
- Anti-skid Base

ECOLOGICALLY SAFE(woohoo!)
- Fully recyclable
-Uses MUCH less water(Love!)
- Saves energy

I love that I can use this as a big flower pot when my babies no longer need it!

The TummyTub has my love and recommendation for every parent out there. Bathing is so much easier with this baby!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the cost; NOT a glorified bucket - I tested this theory!, March 10, 2012
Seattle Mama (Seattle, WA USA) - See all my reviews
I have been on the market for a non-toxic baby bathtub. This is one of the most important baby items to make sure is made without harmful chemicals because you are putting warm water in it and soaking your child in it. If you put your child in a regular baby tub, you might as well call it BPA/pthalate broth.
So here's the tummy tub. Non-toxic. I show it to my husband to get his buy-off, and he, like many, declares it a glorified bucket.
So I tested this. We happen to have a number of food-grade plastic buckets hanging out in the garage. I fill one up with water and proceed to try bathing our 6 month old daughter. Complete and utter disaster. First, because there's no water fill line on the bucket and I'm blindly filling it, I filled it too high and she's breathing in the water as I'm furiously trying to dump the excess out. Then she's panicking because, like every food-grade bucket, it's opaque. She can't see outside of it, it's too tall and covering her line of sight, so she feels trapped. Also, because the walls of the bucket are straight, she's flopping all over the place. She was so upset I took her out of there fairly quickly.
So we try the tummy tub out of curiosity. There is a very clear water fill line, and the directions are clear about the optimal temperature for the water. The directions show me how to lower her in the water safely and slowly. The walls are clear so she can see what's going on, and the walls of the tub support her in a sitting position. She loves it!! She immediately takes to enjoying her bath-there's a smile on her face, she splashes around, she is calm and in good spirits. I never had this reaction from her in our old tub, the First Years infant to toddler.
Instant love!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Seemingly great for newborns, not so much for our 4.5 month old, July 25, 2010

Anyhow, onto the product review: We were super-excited for this tub to arrive. Our little 4.5 month old was starting to escape from the sling on his First Years' tub and previously had become upset during bathing in that tub due to being cold during/immediately following the bath. I thought this tummy tub looked like the perfect solution. And, I think it COULD have been, if we had started him on it when he was a newborn. I can completely see how this would be a great tub for a newborn or preemie to replicate the feelings of being in the womb. I was actually surprised that our little one didn't take to it a bit older even, as he still liked being swaddled at the time. But, he would just constantly shift around in this and try to stand, then plop back down and almost submerge his head accidentally (even with his head held and directions followed from the website; our baby is very strong and mobile). On the positive side, we actually gave it to a friend that had a newborn and they love it. So - overall, I think this product has merit, but potentially the most merit for a smaller infant or newborn that will enjoy this transitional bath experience more. We ended up switching to the Fisher Price Rainforest Tub, which has a better system for a "sitter" like our little one and he's totally into it. No more bath drama! So, for our situation, I'd give it one star and for a newborn, I'd give it four or more. So, calling it even at 2.5 stars!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not practical, June 5, 2010
L "Lane" (Portland, ME) - See all my reviews
Although I enjoy the water conservation and how cute my son (8 weeks) looks in it, the tub just isn't practical for cleaning him. I end up using the reclined sling seat that came with a tub I used on my older son at least every other bath to get him fully clean and the tummy tub for speed.. In the tummy tub it is difficult to get to his bum and other parts like arm pits while I'm trying to keep his head above water. I really have to wedge my arm under him to clean. Washing his hair is tricky because I can't tip him back but it's doable. Overall the soapy water with no real way to rinse and trying to get to hard to reach places makes it not worth it.

4.0 out of 5 stars NOT just an expensive bucket, October 4, 2010
I have read reviews from many on the Tummy Tub and the Wash Pod by Prince Lion Heart. One reviewer said that it would be better to buy a bucket at Home Depot since she felt they are about equal. I found the following comment on a forum that will hopefully clarify things for others who are reading reviews.

"DO NOT use a household bucket!!!
A household bucket is not designed, and the overall shape is not suitable, for bathing babies safely. Normal buckets don't have an anti-skid bottom.

The bottom is not curved like the tummy tub, and therefore does not give the baby any support.
Babies discover their new world by touching with their hands and tasting with their mouths. The pigments in plastic buckets will most likely contain toxic elements, as normal buckets aren't meant for bathing babies.
You can view your baby from all sides, because of transparent material of original Tummy Tub baby bath tub.
The handle of the bucket can easily hurt the fingers of the baby. It also brings an extra risk, as an older brother or sister could, by holding it, pull the bucket from the table.
Normal buckets are too low and narrow and the children can't stay warm.
Using a bigger bucket doesn't give the child the support and a comfortable sitting position like the Tummy Tub does.
A normal bucket would never have the TÜV and BSI approval for baby bathing like the Tummy Tub baby bath tub has."

Read more: "Tummy Tubs" Are The Latest In Child Pacifiers | Baby Chums [...]

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!, September 27, 2010
Excellent product... My baby girl LOVES tummytub time, and has been using it since she came home from the hospital 3 days old.

5.0 out of 5 stars We love our TummyTub, September 23, 2010
I have a TummyTub for my 7 month old and love it! She sits down in it and splashes and plays in the water the whole time I'm bathing her. I stand her up to wash her then sit her to rinse her off which makes it easier for me than trying to wash her underwater. This is my go to shower gift for all moms to be! The TummyTub is different than any bathtub I've used before and like with anything new there will be a little bit of an adjustment period. Give it two or three days and you'll love your TummyTub too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Tummy Tub Review, September 20, 2010
The Tummy Tub is a unique baby bath. It looks a little like a bucket but its deeper and taller. What makes it better is that you can set it on the floor, on the table, or just about anywhere. There's no bending so it isn't hard on your back. Your baby is held in an upright position, even if they can't sit up yet. Plus it will remind your little one of their time in the womb. It is really one of the coolest baby tubs I have come across to date. I wish it had when Willow was a newborn, but even now at seven months, she enjoyed her bath more than she ever had before. To make the Tummy Tub even more convenient, add the stool and make it the perfect height to clean the baby while seated in a chair.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Tub, September 9, 2010
Having a child that is now two years old and another one on the way, I consider myself a mom that is in the know about lots of products for babies to toddlers on the market.I'll be reviewing the Tummy Tub today, a product I would have loved to know about and owned back when my daughter Melody was born.

First and foremost, bath experiences for your baby should not be upsetting or traumatizing in any way. This brings me to remembering the first few baths given to my daughter once we were home from the hospital. I had purchased one of those long bath tubs that's a massive space hog because I didn't know any different and that's what was available to me in the stores I shopped at.

My daughter would end up crying for her entire bath and be completely freezing no matter how quickly and much I tried to keep warm water on her. Also when she got a little bigger but not quite able to sit up on her own yet, she would end up getting bruises on her back from lift that was in the tub I purchased. I was not happy with that at all and neither was she as you can tell from the photo on the right.

My second child hasn't been born quite yet and with that being said, I have only been able to test and review the Tummy Tub with my two year old daughter. Before I received this tub, I was skeptical if she would even fit but low and behold she does and absolutely loves her bath times even more!

I like that I can sit over the side of the bathtub and easily wash my child without bending over uncomfortably or kneeling on the floor, very helpful to a very pregnant mommy with an already achy back I might add. Though if wanting to wash your baby elsewhere, you could easily purchase the stool accessory also available on the Tummy Tub website which also doubles as a toddler step stool.

I've been using the Tummy Tub for about a week now and have had no issues with it whatsoever. Will I use this with my newborn? You can bet that I will though I will be careful because bathing a newborn baby in a sitting position can be a little tricky with them not being able to support their own head quite yet. I will note the more I have used this tub, the more comfortable I have gotten using it.

I highly recommend the Tummy Tub to all mothers.

Tummy Tub Baby Bath - Green