Published on April 20, 2011 by D. Fowler

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plan but...
I don't think that this book qualifies as a diet book per se. The authors present their philosophy or method toward weight loss. They do present dietary guidelines, but insist that they don't focus on caloric restrictions and exercise regimes. Their approach incorporates eight steps to achieving weight loss and boosting the metabolism or "turbocharging" the body...
Published on April 14, 2011 by The Book Diva Reads

4.0 out of 5 stars TurboCharged is a program designed to change your life with an emphasis on losing body fat ..., April 20, 2011
This review is from: TurboCharged: Accelerate Your Fat Burning Metabolism, Get Lean Fast and Leave Diet and Exercise Rules in the Dust (Paperback)
Once when I was on an overseas tour, the guide looked me in the eye and bluntly claimed, "Americans are FAT." She had a point there because as Tom and Dian Giesel say, "we live in a society where we are quite literally eating ourselves to death." There are a plethora of diet books out there, most of which seem to make their way into library sales for obvious reasons. Most of them simply do not work for the average person, a person who is not committed to changing their lifestyle. Simply reading a book will not make one thin or fit. The Giesels maintain that they will "give you all the information and know-how you will need to lose not weight--which is comprised of water, bones, fat and essential organs and tissues--but excess body fat, the only thing you want to lose." (p. xviii). The enthusiastic introduction, which does read like an informercial, certainly garnered my attention.

TurboCharged is a "holistic process" presented in eight simple steps. The emphasis of TurboCharging is to lose body fat by starving "our bodies of those foods that trigger insulin release." (p. 7) If you are certain you want to explore the contents of this book and are going to purchase it, feel free to bypass this review. If you'd like to know what is actually in the book, keep on reading. I'll try to give a brief summation of the steps, without going into excessive detail ... that is the job the Griesels will do for you.

Step #1: "Forget What You've Been Told About Dieting." This step discusses common myths that prevent us from losing weight, the things most diets have in common, how you can eat nourishing foods without going into starvation mode, and how you will find "the perfect way to eat for the rest of your life.

Step #2: `Measure REAL Success." Because you will be aiming to lose body fat and reduce your body-fat percentage, you will learn what percentage you'll need to aim for and when to weigh yourself. There is a link given where you can find a free body-fat calculator, but later in the book there was a recommendation that one might wish to purchase a Tanita scale. Essentially, "The greater your actual fat loss, the greater the waist-measurement reduction."

Step #3: "The Fat-Burning Elixir." This step gives some of the key ingredients, so to speak, of TurboCharging. You will learn how to differentiate between hunger and appetite and how to curb unnecessary eating or bingeing. For example, one suggestion is that "maximum hydration, primarily with water, and secondarily with other zero-calorie drinks, is essential to triggering the release of hormones that results in the sensation of satiety or satisfaction with lower food intake." (p. 26) Other instructions and suggestions of what to eat and not to eat are included.

Step #4: "Fresh Breath Never Tasted So Good." No spoilers here, but this is an interesting little step three benefits that will "help dull taste buds" and keep you from thinking you "need" to eat. It "helps get your thinking back in line ...helps you get refocused, and is of great assistance in eliminating mindless eating." (p. 34)

Step #5: "Turbo-Charge Your Fat-Burning Metabolism With Activity." The Griesels disagree with the "30 to 90 minutes of aerobic exercise three to five times a week with several strength training sessions." (p. 37) They do agree that activity is essential will help you calculate your energy requirements levels. You'll read about a more sensible approach to exercise, how to calculate calories burned (a chart is provided), you learn several TurboCharged walking tips, and how you can help your body become a "superior fat-burning machine."

Step #6: "Muscle Power in 5 ... (Minutes a Day!) Additional tips are given so you can "get your body to use excess fat as its preferred energy source." (p. 57) There hare reminders about differentiating hunger and thirst and you'll be given some basic dumbbell routines to follow.

Step #7: "Eating to TurboCharge." After a brief review of the significant concepts already covered, you'll learn about different types of meals and "nutrient separation." You'll also learn about what NOT to eat when you are TurboCharging. One standout line was that you "do not eat refined foods in any form and [you should] drive right by any and all grain products." You'll also learn about vitamins, foods that will work for you, and you'll read brief portraits of how Tom and Dian both approach TurboCharging.

Step #8: "Seeing the Prize." The title of this step is almost self-explanatory. You'll be encouraged to see yourself as you want to be in the future, not as you were yesterday or what you see in the mirror today.

Throughout the pages of this book there are several vignettes of people who have successfully incorporated TurboCharging into their lives. Jerry claims that "This program is not about perfection, it's about achieving an intelligent balance so that you eat more and move to look and feel your best and do not feel deprived." (p. 52) Not everyone will be able to meet the demands of this program, yet it may encourage many to make changes in attitude or what they put on their plates. This book does use calorie restriction ... "300 - 800 calories a day" and discusses very low-calorie diets (VLCD), essentially what you may initially be doing.

The Griesels sensibly encourage a physical workup with your physician. There is a question and answer portion in the back of the book that did address many of the questions I had as I read the book. For example, they answer question like "Any tips for managing stress and mindless eating?" There is a lengthy list of additional reference materials that were referred to in the course of the preparation of TurboCharged, some of which you may wish to explore. I'm not in agreement with everything in this book, nor will everyone. This is a program in which you will be requested to make lifestyle changes, something that only you can do.

This book courtesy of the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars INSPIRING, IMPRESSIVE, MOTIVATING., December 13, 2011
Tom and Dian get it!

I used to struggle with losing weight and have tried several programs that promised success, but were met with minimal outcomes. Well, I recently discovered Tom and Dian Griesel's Turbocharged program and was shocked when I realized how quickly and easily I could accomplish my weight loss goals and significantly improve my overall health, well being and appearance.

Right from the start, I was able to make lifestyle changes that have made a difference in my overall quality of life. My outcomes turned out way better than anything of could have imagined - in less than six weeks I lost 25 lbs of body fat and 6 inches from my waist, reduced my blood pressure to ideal levels, improved the appearance of my skin and have returned to energy levels that rival my 30's. When you factor in that I have hypothyroidism, it makes my results even more amazing.

After learning their basic guidelines, which are based on our evolutionary diet, I realized that I had been eating as recommended by the traditional food pyramid model which had contributed to my weight and
health challenges." While applying the easy to follow principles proposed by Tom and Dian, I was able to quickly make changes and move closer to optimal health and nutrition.

Their book is easy to follow and packed with information about eating more like our ancestors, and developing slimmer, healthier bodies with outstanding results. I have no hesitation in recommending their book and their program (and I have!) to anyone who wants to improve their health. Turbocharging was the best investment I have made in myself in a long time. Thanks Tom and Dian for making achieving my weight loss goals easy and fun. I am forever grateful to you for your superb coaching, and feel incredibly fortunate to have discovered you and your Turbocharged program as part of my healthy lifestyle team and look forward to even greater weight loss success and lifelong health and well-being enhancements.

Tom & Dian are awesome and my life is better for it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars TurboCharged Gave Me Control of My Body Again...Highly Recommended!, June 14, 2011
I am a 30-year-old "fit" male, but my problem was this: Once I turned 30, I started feeling everything I ate in my stomach, my pants waist felt tighter, and I swear I was developing a muffin top. For the first time in my life my metabolism had slowed down. And I know from studies in the newspaper that abdomen fat is toxic for males. Disgusted and fearful it would get worse, and concerned that I was gaining weight despite being active, I turned to TurboCharged.

The first thing I did was feel great about what I read, although I didn't adhere to it. But my belly didn't go away, and I remembered I read some good stuff in TurboCharged--so I picked it up again and I am happy with the results.

I now consume a lot of water to make sure my hunger is not thirst. I used to have coffee and a bran muffin around breakfast time when I was hungry, but now I consume fruit. I have natural energy and vitality. At 6'2", I've gone from 213 lbs to 205 lbs, or a 4% reduction, of what I am pretty sure was all body fat, in just a few weeks. I watch out for sugar, and make sure the only thing I eat after 7 pm is fruit.

I don't count calories, and I don't spend hours in the gym; I only do recreational activities such as basketball and golf for fun.

TurboCharged educated me as to what small changes I could make to have the maximum chance of becoming slimmer. Before TurboCharged, without even knowing it, I had let myself go, and traditional methods weren't working--either they were too hard to adhere to, or ineffective. I feel like I have control of my body again, having employed what I learned in this book.

It's easy to read and to use. Armed with the dos and don'ts that get results, I recommend it to my friends.

2.0 out of 5 stars Good plan but..., April 14, 2011

I have problems with this approach for numerous reasons. First the author's presume that everyone that is obese or overweight is eating as much as 3500 calories each day. Second they state that anyone can do their program even those that are bedridden. I know many overweight people that consume less than 1800 calories each day (possibly eating the wrong things but definitely not more than 2000 calories) and they aren't losing the weight. Since one of their eight steps includes daily mini-activity sessions (i.e., exercise) that are based on lunges, body weight squats, standing heel raises, etc., I don't see how people that are either paraplegics or bedridden could possibly commit to this system. In addition, the authors state that this isn't based on calories and one need not count calories but the book later states that you'll need to consume 300-800 calories on the "expressway days." This is definitely caloric restriction.

This book is written in a way to attract and keep the reader's attention. It is definitely written in a way that is easy to understand. I don't necessarily disagree with many of the premises that the authors put forth in this book. I just challenge the premise that it can and will work for everyone. I don't feel that any one diet will work for everyone (if there were only one then there would be no more need for books, gyms, etc.) but if this does, then great! For those people that can commit to the food restrictions (no grains or breakfast allowed), daily mini-activity sessions, and temporary caloric restriction days, then this may be the program for you. For the rest of us, this may not be the answer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthy living book everyone should read, May 14, 2011
As a reviewer, I get certain genre(s) in cycles. Right now I am in the Health/Weight Loss genre cycle.

In the past 4 months, I've read 4 books on these subjects. One was actually more about mental health but physical health plays a role in that area, so the book reached out in that directions too.

But TurboCharged by siblings Dian Griesel, Ph.D. and Tom Griesel is one I would call a stand out. In the introduction, the first statement is very bold, "The TurboCharged steps as presented in this book will out-perform any other diet or exercise program you may have tried in the past." I like bold statements like that.

Every paragraph provides another piece to the puzzle, without overwhelming you with facts. As explained, all of the information makes perfect sense. The only "trick"? You have to work the steps.

One point discussed focused on water consumption. I've always been a sipper. I carry my glass and plastic straw around all day, sipping. TurboCharged explains why this is not enough to handle how much water my body really needs. It took me a few days to get into the habit of drinking more each time I picked up my glass and after having tried the TurboCharged way for one week; I experienced quite a few changes.

Two other chapters I found to be worthy of a book alone, were #6 Muscle Power in 5...Minutes a Day! and the 100 calorie and under list in chapter #7. I'm thinking a poster of each of these chapters would be great. Lots of information at one glance.

Another great chapter, #8 "See" the Prize. I am a firm believer in visualization and meditation. Here Dian and Tom discuss the importance of relaxing our minds and how doing so positively affects the body and our quest to be healthy.

I think that's the main point here. If we want to be healthy, it takes effort. Start by making the effort to read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Addictive & easy reading...fast, life changing results!, June 27, 2013
I would like to start by saying, I AM TURBOCHARGED!

In November 2012, my wife saw a Today Show segment that featured Turbocharged. She sent me an email link to the web site. I took a look at it and thought that it sounded pretty good so I ordered the book.

I have struggled with my weight ever since I can remember. This was mainly due to poor food choices and lack of activity. After going through the holidays, I was carrying 264 pounds on my 6'3" frame. I had been on three different blood pressure medications for six years. My doc said that my total cholesterol was at 228 and I was getting close to needing medication to control it. It was at that moment that I knew it was time to act. I looked over on that nightstand and blew the dust off the book I had bought 2 months prior. It was addictive and easy reading and I was done with it in a day.

So, day one: January 4, 2013 my BF% was 37%, 17 inches on the neck, 47 inches around the belly button, cholesterol was 228, and I was tipping the scale at 264.4 pounds.

After starting the program, I could not believe the results that I was seeing. (Even though you told me in the book what would happen) I was literally dropping off 1-2 pounds of fat per day. My family and friends were dumbfounded. After the first month, I had dropped down to a BF% of 29%. After 3 months my BF% was at 26%, I had lost 7 inches off my waist and was down 48 pounds to 216.4 pounds. At that point, a cholesterol test showed that my total cholesterol had gone from 228 to 166 without medication.

Today, 5 short months after getting on the super highway, I am proud to say that I am completely off all of my blood pressure medications, my BF% is at 20.1%, 11 inches off my waist, 1.5 inches off my neck and my weight is at 191 pounds. I've got to tell you, I am enjoying driving this new car around town!

I can not thank you enough for sharing your research in such a way that it was easy to understand and follow. I am TurboCharged, and it has added years to my life! My kids, wife and I certainly appreciate your dedication to helping people improve themselves!

5.0 out of 5 stars This Is It!, February 3, 2012
This book is a must read for anyone who has tried to diet and then gained the weight back. I think I have probably tried every diet known to man, Scarsdale, South Beach, Atkins. You name it, I've tried it. And they worked for a little while. But I couldn't understand why I kept gaining the weight back and looking fatter and worse each time. Has this happened to you? Want to know why? It's in the book and now I get it. It will never happen to me again! I have been following the 8 step Turbocharged plan for only 30 days and have lost 10 lbs! I fully expect to lose another 10 lbs. in the next 30 days. I am a female in her mid 50's and trust me it does not get easier to lose in your 50's. It gets harder. Much harder. But this really works! I can see the difference in my muscle tone and definition. Yes, I am finally getting some back. It is not a particularly strenuous plan - it's certainly easier than the hour I spent each day for the last 6 months doing aerobics and GAINED 7 lbs.! The book even has a name for that - it's called fit fat. And after the last diet I was on the food is wonderful and the best part? I am never hungry! If you've done all the rest, now try the best. You will become a believer too! But the very best part of all? It is easy. Easy to follow, easy to prepare meals, easy exercises! What could be easier than that? This is the best $9.99 you will ever spend!

5.0 out of 5 stars Success at Last, May 22, 2013
I've struggled with my weight for over 40 years - TurboCharged is the first "system" that has truly worked for me. TurboCharged is an easy read; the advice is simple to follow and to incorporate into my typically hectic workday. Love being able to eat fresh fruits and veggies in abundance, and the ongoing support provided by Tom and Dian via the website is top notch. After dropping about 20 lbs quickly last summer, I've steadily continued and have now lost a total of 57 pounds, but more importantly reduced my body fat percentage by almost half! My sister has followed the plan a bit less rigorously, but has already lost 35 pounds too.

For those who complain that fresh fruits/veggies - especially organic - are expensive, I have found that cost has largely been offset by not purchasing so many refined foods, or meals on the go and the reduced packaging associated with all those cans/boxes, etc. is eliminating waste as well. The emphasis on walking vs driving is also environmentally friendly.

The only negative about this plan is that one must have a good tailor and be ready to update one's wardrobe...there are far worse excuses to engage in retail therapy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some novel ideas about nutrition and health, July 25, 2012
I'm approaching 70 years old, and I've been overweight since my mid-teenage years. I've tried a number of weight loss plans and had success, but the pounds always returned. Last year, I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, which has motivated me more than any other factor to lose weight and live a healthier life. When the author emailed me to request a review of "TurboCharged," I was happy to oblige.

The author claims that the TurboCharged program will outperform any other diet or exercise plan. The theory behind the TurboCharged program is that by burning body fat for energy instead of burning muscle cells, weight loss will occur by removing excess body fat.

Some of the requirements for TurboCharged weren't surprising, such as eliminating refined sugar and reducing or eliminating grain products. I've seen that in other nutrition books. Some of the steps, however, were unique, at least to me, such as drinking water a couple of glasses at a time, instead of sipping water constantly. The theory behind this seemed reasonable.

One concept that was new to me was measuring your success not by pounds lost or BMI, but by percent of body fat. The book has a link to an online body fat calculator. I input my numbers and as expected, my body fat percentage is too high.

Exercise was another topic. TurboCharged emphasizes regular physical activity in lieu of bursts of intense exercise. This more closely emulates how our ancestors lived before the mechanized age.

Finally, the book covers some ideal foods for TurboCharging your body. Interestingly, it also emphasized which foods should be eaten together for optimum digestion, and it actually discouraged eating balanced meals.

There's a 33-page Q&A section that should answer most questions, plus an extensive supplemental reading list.

I mentioned that I'm a diabetic. When I began reading the book, I was concerned that it might overlook the effects of the program on diabetes, but every chapter included information about the impacts on glucose and insulin levels.

The TurboCharged program was presented with a mix of theory and practical advice. In my opinion, the author made a strong case for TurboCharged. For many people, going on the program would require significant lifestyle changes. I'm not sure if I could make these changes at my age, but it's worth considering for anyone who wants to be healthier.

5.0 out of 5 stars A new way of eating!, February 3, 2012
This book is wonderful and the program is easy to follow! I purchased it after seeing a 9news broadcast on it. I don't look at it as a new diet book, but a new way of eating forever. I've lost 15 pounds in the 30 days I've been on the diet and feel great! The program is so easy to follow and I've learned so much about my body and nutrition needs. Thank you Tom & Dian for putting this out there! Looking forward to a recipe book!