Let me start off this review with a few items that I think will be useful to others
- This is the edition you want if you're filing your tax return in 2014 (because you're filing for the year 2013)
- You want to edition if you have business activity that you report on a schedule C (this activity flows into your personal return)
- You do not want this...
Published 13 months ago by Will C.

The manufacturer commented on the review below
1.0 out of 5 stars Turbo Tax Has A Problem for 2013
I have been using Turbo Tax for 15 years. It has always been a great program, and I'd never use anything else. It had always installed well, and ran perfectly. No Complaints whatsoever. Just bought 2013, and tried to install it. And I do mean TRIED.

Published 11 months ago by Raymond F. Kohn

5.0 out of 5 stars The only tax software I trust for my schedule C business (single-member LLC) and personal tax return, November 29, 2013
This review is from: TurboTax Home and Business Fed, Efile and State 2013 + Refund Bonus Offer [Old Version] (Software)
- You do not want this edition if you're trying to file a return for a corporation (C-Corp, S-Corp, LLC taxed as a corp) because you need to file a business return and then your own personal return. Look for TurboTax Business (or hire a CPA).
- You don't want this edition if you have a partnership where you need to issue K-1s. Look for TurboTax Business (or hire a CPA).

Now, I'm making this review based off of my initial time spent with the software since I just received it and wanted to get started on a few items I knew wouldn't be changing. There are always updates that come later to the software so I can't yet pass judgment on those.

If you've used TurboTax previously then this version isn't anything new to you. The user interface looks almost identical to last year and I'm glad. I think they've done a very good job of working out the kinks to make the interface intuitive and easy to use. There's no reason to change a good thing.

If you haven't used TurboTax previously, let me tell you a few of my favorite aspects:
- This includes five federal e-files, so I typically do mine and then also file for my siblings and parents from this one software purchase
- Information from the prior year can be pre-populated using the prior year's info
- The e-file process is extremely easy and quick
- Great roll-up of your schedule C business activity making sure you don't miss any important deductions
- Creates quarterly payment vouchers for the next year if you need to make estimated payments
- Your return prints directly to PDF for easy paperless storing (or printing if you wish)

Cons:
- Not really a con, but you have to pay extra for e-filing state returns. The software for your first state is included, but you will have to pay for the actual return, which was $20 last year I believe (I haven't checked the price yet this year since I haven't yet filed). I call this not really a con since they tell you it's not included, and if it were, they would just increase the price $20 so no loss.

TurboTax Home & Business makes the tax returns easy for people who are self-employed or who earn a little money on the side of their day job. I highly recommend it to friends and colleagues. You'll spend more time getting your records together than you will actually doing your taxes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Had local CPA review 2012 taxes done with Turbo Tax, December 28, 2013
Had a local, well-respected, established CPA firm review my personal and small business 2012 taxes done on Turbo Tax Home and Business , (last year's edition). They could not find a single additional deduction or mistake I had made with TT's help. Top that with the fact that I started a small business in 2012, so I had the start-up costs and the special depreciation schedules, (for equipment like electronics that I already owned, but now have to depreciate) and deductions that go with it.

I have been using TT for over a decade for personal taxes, but was a bit uneasy about filing my schedule c. I was worried I would miss deductions and cost myself money. So last summer, I took copies of everything, paid over a $120 for the review, just to be told, good job. We will charge at least twice as much for the same return. They use Intuit software.

On the other hand, it is reassuring to know it is done well. Also a CPA would go with you or for you to an audit, which with some small business is a serious concern.

I will buy TT again this year. Simply put, CPA cannot do a better job, I still have to get all the paperwork together for them, I can input it into the computer on my time and not have to wait around for CPA to get to it. And if I am worried about audit, I can take spend like $20 and buy TT audit protection plan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't do taxes without it., December 6, 2013
I've been using TurboTax for many, many years and have never had a problem. It is easy to use, with clear instructions. Don't do taxes without it. Depending on my situation, I have used several versions. The basic or what they call the deluxe will do for most anyone who has fairly straight-forward tax situations. They will still handle simple stock trades and capital gains situations, as well as simple business situations. It just requires you to be more involved and knowledgeable instead of asking you all their questions and then doing the work for you.

In years where I have traded a lot of investments or stocks, and my business situation remains simple, I have upgraded to their Premier product. It walks you through all the purchases and sales, to make sure you are not getting hosed on the taxes. This year, my business got more complicated so I upgraded to the Home and Business product to handle it. If you look at the TurboTax comparison sheet, you will see this is the normal transition decision. Deluxe gives more detail and support about typical personal tax situations. Premier has everything Deluxe has, but it adds detailed support for investments. Home and Business has everything Premier does, but adds specific support for small business situations on Schedule C.

If you are totally confused by taxes and the whole process, but you have fairly straight-forward needs, you can turn to H&R Block or a similar company. If you have investments, complex business situations, or major life events (deaths, inheritance) I would suggest using an accountant. On the other hand, if you have a reasonable understanding of the tax process, business rules, and such, TurboTax can get the job done as well as an accountant at a much lower price. I used an accountant for many years and a couple of years before I decided to drop him, I used TurboTax and compared the results. They came out EXACTLY the same, so I dropped the accountant about 15 years ago.

1.0 out of 5 stars Turbo Tax Has A Problem for 2013, January 5, 2014

OOOOPS.... It wouldn't install. It gave me an error code 1603 Windows Installation Error. The program proceeded to try and fix itself by downloading a new version of Microsoft's NET Framework 4.0 (I guess they assumed that was the problem). But, NO LUCK. The re-install failed following the downlad, and resulted in the same error code failure.

I am currently running Windows XP with Service Pack 3, (which meets TTax requirements), and it wouldn't install. After visiting Microsoft's website, I confirmed that my XP is fully Upgraded, and I downloaded a New Copy of NET Framework 4.0, and again - NO LUCK. I visited Turbo Tax website regarding the problem, and it appears that quite a number of folks are having a problem with the 1603 Error code popping up and a Failed install. Many customers, like myself, have tried to "FIX" the problem following TT suggestions, with NO LUCK. Some folks using Windows 7, have also reported similar problems and results.

Turbo Tax blames the customer, and his computer. So, no help there. Given that I have never had a problem in 15 years with ANY Turbo Tax software, I kind of doubt its all of the sudden my fault. And, its all of the sudden my computer, which I have used for the past many years of TTax in 2012, 2011, 2010, etc.

Writing software is not an easy task, and "backward compatibility" is always an issue. But, why in the world would Turbo Tax play around with perfection, and cause problems for so many folks. I feel like I'm reliving Coke's fiasco when they changed Coke's 150 year old recipe.

So, if you buy Turbo Tax, make sure you keep your receipts, its a "coin toss" if it will work for you on your machine, or not. Do a web search yourself, and become familiar with the issues surrounding this software. No matter what Turbo Tax tells you, its NOT your fault, and its NOT your machine. So, be careful when they suggest major changes to your computer's operating system as they try and get it to work.

It is my hope that Turbo Tax will come up with a FIX soon.

UPDATE: Following the above review, I was able to reach Technical Support, at TurboTax, regarding the "2013 Installation Problem Error Code 1603, with Windows XP" During that phone call, TurboTax was very forthright in saying that they are aware of the problem when TurboTax is installed on XP Operating Systems. And, they are working with Microsoft to "FIX" the problem. At the present time (Jan 6, 2014) no fix is available. However, once a "FIX" is found, it would be made available to customers having this older operating system. I have every confidence that a current Fix will be developed, however, users with older operating systems like XP should be aware that Microsoft will be discontinuing support of XP effective April 2014, and so that may mean users will have to very likely upgrade their operating systems, or their computers, for next years TurboTax Returns. This is an interesting situation, because a great number of businesses really like XP, and continue to use it in their businesses today.

During my phone call with TurboTax, they kindly offered to permit me to use their On-Line Version to complete my Tax Returns. Unfortunately I am one of those folks who is overly security concious, and am uncomfortable having my data stored on someone elses computers. So, hopefully, TurboTax and Microsoft will develop a "FIX" for this problem.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 3:57:20 PM PST
Raymond... As our agents told you, we are working with Microsoft on Error 1603, which is a Microsoft issue. It is well documented and has been around for many years. For those who are affected by this, it is a challenging issue to fix programmatically. We cannot fix it ourselves and that is why we are working with Microsoft on a fix. As you also note, when our installer (which is a Microsoft installer) detects a corrupt .net framework, we try to fix it. It's hit or miss whether it can be fixed. Nevertheless, we are working diligently across companies to fix this issue without regard to whose problem it is because at the end of the day it affects our customers.

By the way, this is not a common issue. It is very uncommon, but does seem to affect XP users more than others.

1.0 out of 5 stars The CD version is faulty., January 10, 2014
K. Kolb (California, USA) - See all my reviews
Raymond wrote an excellent review and he's right-on-the-button. I bought the Home & Business version from Costco and returned it. The CD version won't work on most PC's; check the Intuit website for error code 1603 if you want verification. They know there's a problem, but the fix isn't coming. I may be forced into the downloadable version, but it's not my first choice. I'm not saying it won't work on your PC, but if you get error code 1603 or 65535 during the installation process, stop the download and don't waste any more of your time. I've spent at least 10 hours trying to get this program to work and I'm finally giving up. I've formatted my hard-drive, loaded in three different versions of the OS and it still won't work; the problem is in the installation software on the disk. I don't give negative reviews lightly, but this software deserves it and Intuit deserves to take a financial blow on this one. I also tried the Deluxe version and it failed too, so the problem is more far-reaching than just one version of the software. I've been using TurboTax since it's conception and MacInTax (it's predecessor in the '80's) before that, so I'm not a newbie at this.

Update; Fix available on the 24th from Intuit. Read the comment to this post for their contact page.

Posted on Jan 20, 2014 9:17:04 PM PST
This is an operating system error and affects an extremely small number of users (generally those using old PCs). Nevertheless, we have identified a fix that will be put into an update Jan 24 or a few days later than that. Thanks.

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax

4.0 out of 5 stars Most likely the best there is, but not perfect, January 20, 2014
DO YOU NEED TO FILE STATE TAX? Make sure you get a state version if you do, or federal only if you don't.

This review is for TuboTax 2013 Deluxe for Federal Returns. Fortunately I live in Texas and there is no state income tax so I don't have to worry about the state portion.

TurboTax has had its share of issues but I came back to it because it does seem to be the best there is, but I'm knocking off a star because of the history of issues I've had with the program in previous years (like it not calculating tax correctly until I deleted some assets and then re-entered them). However, I was a little shocked to read that it requires 515MB of HD space PLUS up to 1.5GB more if Microsoft .NET 4 if not installed (Mac is only 360MB). Wow! That could be over 2GB of HD to do taxes. How inefficient we have become, bat at least HD space is cheap nowadays.

The system requirements specifically mention Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7/8 but not Windows 8.1. When I installed it on my Windows 8.1 64-bit machine, installation (mid Jan 2014) seemed to go well without any problems. When it checked for updates, it found 4 updates and they all seemed to install properly... so no major install issues for me (unlike a few years ago).

NOTE: Deluxe will do a Schedule C just fine, but it may not provide as much help as the Home & Business version. If you have been doing taxes yourself for awhile then you might not need to pay the extra money for the additional help.

I will update this review as I continue to use the product.

Pros:
* Price includes federal E-File
* Overall, probably the best tax program there is
* Does not say it works on Windows XP 64-bit (but does with 32-bit XP with SP 3+) (anyone even use XP 64-bit anyway?)
* Works on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7/8/8.1
* Deluxe version can do a Schedule C for the self-employed - but it doesn't provide as much guidance as the Home & Business edition
* Claims that your return will be accurate, guaranteed* (with some fine print)

Cons:
* Not perfect (but how can US taxes ever be perfect)?
* Have encountered bugs in previous years that caused me to have to delete and re-enter assets
* Might take over 2GB of HD space on Windows according to the system requirements
* I'm not happy with the reports I've read indicating saying that Intuit lobbies Congress to keep taxes overly complicated, presumably so they can make more money from sales of their tax software.

WARNING ABOUT THE ONLINE VERSION (DOES NOT APPLY TO DESKTOP VERSION):

* Intuit has removed the ability to do Schedule D and E in TurboTax Online Deluxe (you need Premier)
* Intuit has removed the ability to do Schedule C and F in TurboTax Online Deluxe (you need Home & Business)

2.0 out of 5 stars This is the last time for using TurboTax, March 10, 2014
I have used TurboTax for the past ten years. I always felt it was the best product out there. The last couple years when the price has gone up-up-up, I was afraid to switch due to long-term depreciation assets. I just wasn't clear on how TurboTax was calculating that and didn't want to make an error that may set me up for an IRS audit. However, after this year, I'm saying never again. Due to the fact that I make less than $20,000 in self-employment and my husband had to work in several states this past year, I wound up paying $225 (three states plus federal for home and business). That is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much and ridiculous!

I knew about paying separately for e-filing state in the original package, but then in addition to having to purchase each of the two additional states I needed at $39,99 each, then I still had to pay the $19.99/state additional for the e-file. I would have thought for the $39.99 the e-file was included, and it didn't actually specify, so if you're in the same situation of having to file multiple states, it is NOT. Also, there is no help available for state (so why am I paying the $39.99 each for them????).

As others have stated, the cryptic messages on errors with the inability to see the return to figure it out until after you have paid is very aggravating. I started out with the slightly less expensive online version, everything entered, and then received a message that in order for TurboTax to correctly figure the states in which my husband worked, but I had no income for, I had to use the CD/download version. In the download version you can view the forms to figure out what it is telling you is wrong, along with some Internet search of the individual states' filing instructions, but it's definitely much more difficult and requires more research on your own part than you should have to do for the price.

Now that all my 5 and 10-year depreciations are done, I'm done with TurboTax and their greedy price gouging. Next year it's TaxAct for me. Fool me once, shame on me, but you won't fool me twice. Extremely disappointed in how dramatically the cost has gone up in order to get a Schedule C. Any small business must file it, and we're not making that kind of income to justify these prices.

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy, Helpful and Quick., December 27, 2013
Turbo Tax worked great and walked me through the whole process. I only got hung up a bit on some Schedule K issues. I saved a lot by not hiring a CPA.

5.0 out of 5 stars TurboTax is a winner, December 21, 2013
I have used TurboTax for several years and found it to be the best to organize taxes forms necessary to satisfy IRS. It is a "hand-holder" all the way through an unpleasant task.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed after 10 years!, January 7, 2014
I've been a loyal TurboTax customer for over a decade. I needed to do my taxes as early as possible and bought a copy of the 2013 software at Costco in early January 2014. It would not install. I tried for an entire weekend. After reading other reviews on the Internet, I realized I wasn't the only one. Couldn't do an update if it wasn't installed, couldn't get ahold of anyone and I didn't want to download more programs on my computer. Took it back and will either wait till it's improved and PROVEN or try TaxAct.

Thank goodness Costco allows returns.

Sorry TurboTax. You lost a customer.

Posted on Jan 7, 2014 5:32:35 PM PST
Attitude498... Sorry about the experience. Although I see a number of issues with install, most of these are related to a .net issue (Microsoft) or virus protection conflicts. Nevertheless, we treat each one as our issue and will do what it takes to solve them. I appreciate your effort in trying to install and have 2 suggestions that might work if you still have the software. 1) If you're using Avast antivirus software, please update that software. 2) Disable any other virus protection software as some incorrectly flag TurboTax as malware. Thanks.