4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tax Software Available (with a warning)
I have been using Turbo Tax for about 10 years. In general it is an easy to use program and I have never been audited. I only enter legitimate data that I have a receipt for. If I was to be audited it wouldn't be a big deal.

Published on November 29, 2011 by Stephen

1.0 out of 5 stars employee information data storage
Published on January 8, 2012 by Robert Callaway DVM

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Tax Software Available (with a warning), November 29, 2011
Stephen (Southern CA) - See all my reviews

6 years ago I had gone through the process of filling out all my forms but neglected to save the data prior to entering the E file area of the program. When I saw the state fee for E file, I tried to back out of the E file program section. All of my data prior to my last save was lost. This was about 6 hours of work. I know it was my fault for not saving my data, but I thought that the E file was included in the price of the program. I felt the program should require you to save the data prior to entering a section where the data would be lost if you backed out of the E file section. I called Intuit to let them know what happened and found the response to my issue underwhelming.

The Federal E file is free but the states may charge additional fee of about $20 to E file.

The next year I used an accountant which turned out to be a big mistake. It cost several times the price of the software package and all of my carryover deductions needed to be manually entered. I spent more time putting my information together for the accountant than I had spent in previous years doing the return myself. The accountant just made the deadline and repeatedly called asking for clarifications on deductions.

I learned my lesson from that experience. Now I always use Turbo Tax Home and Business but make sure I save my data throughout the entry process.

I'd give the product 4.5 stars if I could. I find the statement of E file to be slightly deceptive. The state filing is not included in the price the program. Intuit is much clearer about this now than they use to be. You just need to be aware of this and include that cost in your purchase decision. I print and file my state return to avoid the fee. There are also areas of the business deductions that require research from the IRS's website which can be tedious.

The program allows business deductions carry over to future years which save a lot of time and helps maintain accuracy. If you are going to use this program it pays to be a repeat user.

1.0 out of 5 stars employee information data storage, January 8, 2012
I have used this product since 1997 to do my taxes. Unfortunately, this year Turbo Tax decided to store the payroll information on their servers rather than the consumers' desktops. The result is my employees' information is stored where I have no control. I will forever need to worry about security issues considering this data. If at some point in the future I need to amend the return, I will be dependent on the goodwill of Turbo Tax to access this data. I will no longer be using this product.

1.0 out of 5 stars Buyer Beware - Turbo Tax Home & Business 2011 IS A DISASTER, January 25, 2012
This review is from: TurboTax Home & Business Federal + E-file + State 2011 for PC [Download] [Old Version] (Software Download)
I have used Turbo Tax for years. Two or three years ago I began using their transfer function to transfer 1099MISC information from the prior year to the current year, so that all one needed to do was fill in the correct dollar amount and not have to retype all the names and addresses. It worked fine in prior years, just as you could transfer your tax information for the 1040 from the prior year.

BUYER BEWARE!!

This transfer function DOES NOT WORK in the 2011 iteration of Turbo Tax Home & Business 2011. In its infinite wisdom, Intuit moved this transfer scenario from a simple file to file transfer and
put it instead, on line. It does not work. I am unable to transfer the 150 or so 1099MISC forms from 2010 to 2011 AND no one at Intuit/Turbo Tax seemed to know it doesn't work. I lost three
hours on line and then on the phone trying to get this function to work, speaking with tech specialists at Turbo Tax.

All you learn in the program itself, when you try to make the transfer USING THE FILE TYPE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO USE, is the infuriating message "Houston, we have a problem ... but don't worry we are not in outer space."

Well guess what, you folks at Intuit are indeed in outer space if you think it is acceptable to not have this function working as of 1/25/11 just six days before the IRS deadline to send the
1099MISC forms to their recipients.

THIS IS A DISASTER.

Do not buy Turbo Tax Home & Business if you need to transfer your 1099MISC information from 2010 to 2011.

Shame on you Intuit.

3.0 out of 5 stars Big changes in doing 1099s - mixed bag gets more mixed, January 12, 2012
WordLover (San Francisco, CA USA) - See all my reviews
Intuit is like lots of other aging software companies, dying to find ways to increase revenues with absurd complexification and attempts to extract rents from users. With TurboTax, there's by definition an annual need for a new package, but this year there are SIGNIFICANT changes to be aware of. The biggest, if you are preparing 1099s for contractors, is that the software seemingly requires you conduct the entire process on the Web. (Let's not even talk about Intuit's astonishingly offensive overriding of a user's set browser preference to fire up MS Internet Explorer frequently.) The claim is that this is at the behest of the IRS, which doesn't want to be processing paper. Regardless, there is seemingly no way to prepare the forms on your own machine first. HOWEVER, there is an undocumented way to do so: return to the home screen after starting the process of preparing 1099s, and click "File... New..." to start a new return. This will override the program and begin the basic, local process to prepare 1099s that we remember from prior years. No idea what will happen next year, but at least for this year you can avoid having everything forced through Intuit's online services.

1.0 out of 5 stars Once A Loyal Customer, Now an Irate One--Found a Work Around, January 28, 2012
Heidi Anne Heiner (SurLaLune Fairy Tales.com) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Yes, what took me about half an hour last year from download, install and data entry is still not done after at least six times that long and I am ANGRY. I am trying to create 1099s, a simple programming function compared to the rest of the tax needs I am going to have as I prepare our full taxes and THE SYSTEM DOESN'T WORK. 1099 and W-2 is now forced to be online and the system is horrible, doesn't work and each successful data entry takes at least three attempts. And then you aren't sure if it is successful because instead of freezing your computer, you get this message:

Houston, we have a problem...
Luckily, we're not in space. Rest assured, our programmers are on it.

That may work if you sign out, sign in and try that again.
If you see this again, please contact us so we can help.

I am not amused. NASA wouldn't have ever gotten to the moon with TurboTax 2011 Software. They'd never gotten to the launchpad. Or the rocket built. We'd still think it was made of swiss cheese.

Then, of course, when you go back and try again, your data is often correct--after all you just entered a four digit number! Why would that break a system?

So, yes, believe the reviews. I haven't even started the individual tax return and I am worried. I might be buying TaxAct or whatever I can find before this tax season is over because my trust level is kaput. I could do 1099s online at the IRS site or handwrite them, they are the easiest, simplest form I will deal with over the next few months. But I bought TurboTax to make it even easier. And if it can't handle these, well, I shudder and I worry.

And if you are in the same boat as me and bought early before the reviews and WANT to try this anyway, well, the functionality is slightly better in Google Chrome over IE 8. Not much but at least I got a file to transfer on my sixth attempt on Chrome. So my names were imported from last year's file. Never mind that it said it didn't and then it transferred the file twice and now won't let me delete the duplicates without that lovely Houston message I shared above. I finally got one to delete after 8 attempts. I may not be so lucky with the rest of them.

So yes. Crap. Utter, useless crap. I want a refund but it is software so that's not possible since I've ripped open the box and loaded this simulation of a tax preparer.

This is my 9th year using TurboTax and by far the worst experience I have ever had with it. Phooey on Intuit.

UPDATE on 1/31/12:

After countless attempts at data entry in the online 1099/W2 Reporter system, I finally got my 8 1099s completed. It took me 6 hours of repeated attempts to get the data entered. Yes, I was foolish. I could have done it somewhere else in less than an hour. Then I read in another review here that there is a backend way to do the reports through the software.

Click FILE in the upper left hand corner menu and select NEW TAX RETURN and the selection like previous years. For kicks and giggles I decided to do that after finally printing up and mailing the 1099s today, a few days past when I intended. The whole process took me 15 minutes, what it has done in previous years. Why did Turbo Tax not give us the outright option? Why did they release extremely flawed online software? (Even selecting a state doesn't work in the drop down boxes unless you hit a hard enter after selecting, otherwise it clears out the field when you move to the next one. Nevermind the inability to process submitted info, the forms can't even handle data entry such as 5 digit only zip codes, etc.)

So this is too little too late for me and for you, but perhaps someone will be saved the headache.

And do save that return for the 1099/W2s in the software (the work around) because even though you save it, it doesn't not come up as an option for your ongoing working returns in the open file page. You have to browse for it on your computer--know where you saved it!--if you need to access it again.

Pure idiocy...

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't ignore the reviews like I did..., January 28, 2012
Dan Heath (Boston, MA United States) - See all my reviews
OK, I have no one to blame but myself. The reviews say very clearly that this product is a disaster. It is. I have always used TurboTax, so I thought, "How bad can it be?" Well, bad. I just spent 30 minutes online trying to prepare TWO (2) 1099-MISC forms. The product has a new feature which forces you to do this online (it used to be very easy on the desktop software). The site is like something from 1997. I almost expected a Lycos search box to pop up. After many long, painful attempts to make progress, I hit a random error message -- which had some kind of cutesy warning like "Houston, we have a problem" that made me want to reach through the internets and throttle someone. Now I find myself in search of another software product that can actually help me! Please, innocent tax-filer, I beg you, don't make the mistake I did...

2.0 out of 5 stars Unhappy with move toward online private data storage., January 30, 2012
I've been a happy Turbo Tax customer for over a decade. Now for the first time they are requiring that I put my employee's private information online in order to produce 1099's. It's January 30 and the forms are due tomorrow and I'm stuck! Will be going out early tomorrow to buy competitors software, and it will give me a chance to see what else is out there. Never thought I would leave TurboTax. What were they thinking?
Update: Found a workaround by beginning the the return manually. Still the company is moving in the wrong direction with its online data push.

3.0 out of 5 stars Turbo Tax Home & Business, January 4, 2012
This software changed this year as the W-2s and 1099s are now only electronically filed which should be a choice. If you do not have internet at the time you wish to prepare these forms, it is going to be a problem. If you can live with this, then same as usual for Turbo Tax Home & Business; if this electronically filing requirement was an option, then I would have rated the software a 4 star or more.

1.0 out of 5 stars RIP OFF, January 24, 2012
If your looking to start your tax return immediately; don't count on it. I received several error messages that would not allow me to download the software I have already paid for! It is very inconvenient that I had to write a lengthly email to the company regarding "the fix" that did not "work". I will never buy turbotax again.

1.0 out of 5 stars Online Services Totally Unreliable, January 30, 2012
I've been using various Intuit software for years, including TurboTax. I use the Home and Business version as that is the only version that will handle household employee income reporting. Intuit made this change a few years ago, requiring DeLuxe version users to upgrade at additional cost to obtain the same features. Now Intuit has taken another step backwards. The 2011 Home & Business version now requires that W-2 and 1099 forms be generated online. However, their online service doesn't work at all. No response. Intuit's approach: pay more money; get less service or none at all. Don't buy!