TurboTax Home & Business Federal + e-File + State 2010 - [Old Version]
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscChange
Price:$11.27 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on December 6, 2010
Platform for Display: PC/Mac Disc
[I purchased the download version TurboTax Home & Business Federal + e-File + State 2010 [Download], but as this is essentially the same product, I am reviewing it here, too]

I have been a Turbotax user for quite a while, and have definitely seen a progression in quality and features of the Turbotax product. I remember last year, there were some installation issues for some. Turbotax 2010 downloaded and installed on my Windows 7 64-bit quickly and without issue. After executing the program, it immediately downloaded some updates and I was ready to get to work.

As usual, the State software is included free. This year, the integration with the State software seems even better. While the State download wasn't available yet, it gave me options for notification and what the status of availability was.

There doesn't seem to be many new features over last year, in fact, as far as I can tell, they don't come right out and say what is new over last year. However, the ones that are there are very nice:

* The Live Community is integrated even more into the software and is a handy feature. It is context sensitive, so the most popular questions for each section appear when you enter that section.

* There is also a Flags section which allows you to easily mark sections to work on later, which has proven valuable when trying to complete forms for which you only have preliminary data.

* Switching between Forms and Interview seems to be smoother as well, and there seems to be several ways to navigate to exactly the data you want to work on.

* It seems to be all about options, for many areas, the software offers you multiple ways of calculating the data so that you get the best possible return.

* Finally, ItsDeductible is still integrated and is a great tool.

Tax software has a unique problem; the features are to provide the smoothest and fastest tax preparation as possible. So, the better they make the product, the less time I need to work with it.

I plan to update this review as I complete my personal/business returns.

** UPDATE 12/28/2010 **

2010 figures are summarized side by side with (imported) 2009 figures, which is very helpful in identifying data that you might still need to enter.

I found that the set of guided questions about entering home office information misleading. Once a home office is added, you must click the Edit button to continue entering more information or else your entry will be incomplete, even though there is really no easy way to tell. That button should be a Start/Update button as found in other sections.

Yes, it is still preliminary, but on the Final Review section it does indeed provide a list of forms that haven't been finalized yet, and an expected due date for each. So you do have some idea of what calculations may change.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 23, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I have used Turbotax for the last 6-7 years and have always liked the product. This year, however, I don't believe Intuit / TurboTax did a very good job of debugging the software. It runs incredibly slow and tends to lock up for a few minutes (yes, minutes) when entering data into a data field. I have found a work-around in that after entering data, clicking on "file" or "view" (or any of the drop down menu's) will force the information in the data field and allow to continue to the next section (irritating and ridiculous but at least it works...). There are also issues with some data fields not appearing and therefore, data cannot be entered (again, the workaround is going directly to the forms view and entering the data direct).

Hopefully Intuit will push an update that will fix these problems soon!
on January 30, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I've used TurboTax for over 25 years. This year they seems to have changed their business model with respect to the ability to do a state tax return. As stated in the product description and printed on the box, one (1) state software download is included. In past years, this one state software download would process more than one state tax return within that state.

However this year, when actually using the product, it will only allow you to process a single tax return for that state. In the past, I have always done my own and my kids' returns - both Federal and State (all in the same state). I first processed my own Federal and State returns. When I proceeded to do my kids' returns, I could process all three Federal returns without a hitch. In order to process their State returns (all in the same state as my own), it demanded another state download for each kid's return at a cost of $39.95 each.

They have apparently changed their business model; and this is just not right! I'm very disappointed!
on January 13, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I've used TurboTax for about 6 years. It's generally a great time saving product. Every year it gets slightly better but it doesn't change much. When your situation is quite complicated you may need to do some additional research but this is always obvious when TuboTax fails to ask about something you've done. This has come up twice in the six years and I have always found out how to enter the information correctly with little complication. This year I switched from Windows to mac. I couldn't be happier about the easy transition. I moved my 2009 data file from the pc to the mac. I installed TurboTax on the mac. I started TurboTax and it immediately found the 2009 file. Doesn't matter where you put it on the mac. TT finds it and it's 100% compatible. All my info was ready to go for 2010!
on April 10, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac Disc
14_Joanna E: Thank you for contacting Intuit Turbotax, how can I help you today?
kenneth phillips: Hi Joanna, I signed up for turbotax premier online federal only for 38 dollars. then when i went to file today, it asked me for 75 dollars to finish filing.
kenneth phillips: the agent showed me anemail about the price going up. i told her that i did not get this email. its funny because i got my password reset email but not this email.
14_Joanna E: It will charge you for filing the state even if you are not filing it
kenneth phillips: I am a florida resident, i do not need to file state.
14_Joanna E: It will still charge you
14_Joanna E: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
kenneth phillips: ok, is there a solution for this?
14_Joanna E: No sir
kenneth phillips: why does it offer for you to sign up at a certain price "federal only" as an option if it is not really an option?
14_Joanna E: I do not know sir. I do apologize
14_Joanna E: Is there anything else I can help you with today?
on January 9, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
While I am a "salaried rat", my wife is a consultant and uses a limited liability company as her legal entity for her work. So the Home & Business version of Turbo Tax is very helpful in not only handling a salaried employee but also in handling an independent contractor type such as my wife. It really helps with the categorization of business expenses for the LLC. I've used this product for years and always feel very comfortable with it.
on February 4, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I am the go to guy for my family when it comes to taxes. I generally prepare around 8 returns a year for family members. They fill a wide range of needs when it comes to taxes, so I get the home and business version to cover the entire range. As for the product itself - I have used this version for at lest 7 years running. That should tell you something right there. I simply trust TTax better than I trust myself. Although I am pretty knowledgable about taxes, they are complex and I need TTax to help me remember things that I would probably forget if I did them by hand. Plus the ability to bring information forward from previous years also helps me remember things about the relatives I do returns for that they themselves have forgotten. It has saved me many times.

My only complaint is that starting last year TTax started putting in a max of 5 returns per license. They didn't announce it and it messed me up a lot last year, because I did some "dummy" returns to check out different scenarios (married filing separately, etc.). Went aganst my number of returns. Now I know to do some of the simpler ones on the onling free version. I do wish that TTax would raise the limit to like 10 or so.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 6, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
My wife is a professional tax preparer has used this program for years. She just loaded 2010 business version and says that it is easier to use than in the past.
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
I cannot believe that I purchased TurboTax Home & Business and it is totally useless. First of all, when installing it went through a plethora of updates. Each time it attempted an update, the program crashed. I was able to overcome this by not clicking on the "OK" button and letting the updates run, in spite of the program asking for validation of the update installs. Once the updates were seemingly complete, the program froze and required a hard reset to return to a condition in which it allowed me to startup. I then spent over an hour entering my data from W-2, 1099's, deductions, etc., and then the "Save" option was grayed out. HOW CAN INTUIT ALLOW SUCH A PIECE OF GARBAGE TO BE RELEASED???!!! I have used TurboTax every year for the past 6 years. This is absolutely unacceptable. This is not just a matter of Quality Control problems, this borders on fraud! I am sure they were rushing to get this out and trying to hit certain revenue numbers, yadah, yadah, but if I were a shareholder of this company, I would hold the CEO to task on this one!! I am sending this back to Amazon for a refund and am going to find another way to do my taxes this year. NEVER, NEVER, NEVER again will I use TurboTax. DO NOT BUY. And, Amazon, if you read these messages, you should send all of your inventory of TurboTax back to Intuit for a refund. I am surprised at you, Amazon Buyers. Don't you test products before you sell them????
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 14, 2011
Platform for Display: PC/Mac DiscVerified Purchase
This product is far worse than useless. I lost $550 applied overpayment from the previous year because of a software glitch. I would not recommend this software.