Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on February 2, 2014
There is a lot of confusion about this. The main distinction to note is that there is a difference between *preparing* a tax return and *e-filing* a tax return.

There is also a difference between *e-filing* a tax return and just *filing* a tax return using TurboTax : E-filing means the prepared tax return is submitted to the tax authority electronically. You can, if you wish, print the prepared tax return instead, put it in an envelope, and sent it to the tax authority by mail - this would be *filing* the tax return, as opposed to *e-filing*.

For the TurboTax Deluxe Fed + Efile + State 2013 software, you are paying for software which will enable you to *prepare* up to 5 Federal tax returns and and *prepare* up to 5 State tax returns for ONE state only.

When it comes to submitting the Federal tax returns, there is no e-filing fee - you can e-file up to 5 Federal tax returns electronically with this software, and there's no additional cost to do so. You can still print them out and mail them in if you wanted do, but I don't see why anyone would want to since e-filing the Federal tax returns is free, unless you have additional documentation the IRS require.

When it comes to submitting the State tax returns, you have two options:
(1) you can print out the prepared tax return, put it in an envelope, and mail it to your state tax authority, and the only cost would be the stamp to send it, OR
(2) you can *e-file* the prepared tax return via TurboTax, and there would be an e-filing fee of $19.95 per tax return to do so.
That's basically all there is to that.

There has also been comments about a $29.95 refund processing fee. I'll explain what I believe this fee is about. When you have finished preparing your state tax return and elect to e-file it for the $19.95 fee mentioned above, you have an option to pay that $19.95 fee online by credit card right there and then, or have it deducted from your state tax refund. If you pay by credit card right there and then, there should not be any return processing fee. If you instead elect to pay that $19.95 fee by having it deducted from your tax return, guess what - you're going to get hit with a $29.95 refund processing fee. That is what that fee is all about, I believe. Clearly it is better to pay the $19.95 by credit card right there and then, if you are able to.

Another point to note: if you need to file tax returns in more than one state, you will have to pay for additional software to *prepare* returns for those additional state(s) - I believe the cost is around $39.95 for each state, and that will allow up to 5 tax returns to be *prepared* (not e-filed) for each state purchased. You will still be subject to another $19.95 e-filing fee for each state return filed as well.

For the 2013 tax year, I am aware New York State are not charging an e-filing fee if your Federal AGI is under $58,000. Whether TurboTax will still charge the fee regardless I am not sure.

If this helped clarify the fee situation for you, please click YES next to the "Was this review helpful to you?" below, and maybe it will stay on top of the reviews list for others with the same questions. Any Intuit TurboTax staff reading this please comment if I've said anything incorrect here and I will amend it accordingly.
1717 comments| 1,242 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on January 2, 2014
TurboTax has been a trusted friend for over 10 years now. The software itself is great - always user-friendly, and makes the tax-filing season a breeze. Highly recommend TurboTax for your tax needs. With that said...

... the Installation process from the Amazon download was a pain. My PC is not very old (running Windows 7 Professional with an i7 and 8 GB), so I figured the download/install process would be simple. I didn't see the other posts about people not being able to install it after downloading. After a couple of attempts at installing, with errors both times, I did some research and installed the most recent version of the .Net framework from Microsoft's website. Be patient, as it's a fairly lengthy installation process. Once that was complete, the TurboTax installation worked fine.

It's too bad I can't separate the installation rating (1 star) from the software rating (5 stars). TurboTax is a great piece of software, but this particular download and install is a hassle unless you take care of the .Net Framework first. Do that and you'll be a happy tax preparer!
4040 comments| 203 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 24, 2014
I have used TurboTax since they first hit the market. Never had a problem. This is the last year that I will ever buy TT.because of it's bugs this year and the "tough luck" attitude of Intuit. Forms that they say are available (and which are available in every other tax program ) are not being recognized by the actual software. An example is form 8379 Injured Spouse Allocation. You try to use it because you have received email from Intuit saying it is available but the program just continues to tell you that it isn't available yet. Crappy quality control. Should have been found before release. But evenmow that many people are telling them about this problem they still ignore it and just keep telling us it is our fault... we must be doing something wrong. We are not the problem and they should be ashamed of the quality of their program this year.
As I said, I'm ditching this and going to TaxAct. Just wish I could get a refund on TT this year but it is software so I probably can't.
on April 12, 2014
After trying to do due diligence on this purchase to find the terms and conditions of the Amazon Gift Card ( you get a web runaround to Intuit ) I purchased the product in order to get the 10% extra on my daughter's refund. At the very last step where you are filing the return, you get sent to the terms and conditions. If you are an Amazon customer, you are not getting a card from Amazon itself, who you probably have already given some limited financial information to such as a credit card number. You are entering into a relationship with Sunrise Banks of St Paul Minnesota. To agree to the deal you have to allow them to have and share personal information you filled in while doing the return, including but not limited to the taxpayers address, date of birth, and social security number. This can be used for marketing including joint marketing with any company they choose ( "affiliates") and their and "affiliates everyday business purposes" .

By the way the card won't be for up to your whole refund, it is on some arbitrary fraction that they decide.
on March 23, 2014
Intuit has sneaked in a price increase on customers who have previously relied on their products for small business and investment tax filing. Now they took away the forms and force us to pay double for what we used to pay.

I have never seen this kind of aggressive price increase ever!! Up 100%!!

Users beware.
on April 10, 2014
It's silly to hide that you need to pay another $20 to file in the state, when you label the product suggesting otherwise.

But, on top of that you insult people's intelligence when you first offer them the ability to deduct that $20 from their refund at a cost of another $30.

Finally, even after deciding to pay it directly with your credit card you get charged $25 instead, with no explanation.

(Additionally, offering to pay for your taxes via credit card is nice, except charging 2.5% is lame, but not disingenuous).

Overall, the product works well, but I was very disappointed at the insulting pay structure.
on March 19, 2014
The free gift card allows sunrise bank to sell your information e.g. Social security numbers income address Dependents info etc. Had I known that this was the deal before purchasing the product I would have gone with the less expensive product I normally go with. I purchased this since I could get 10% back off of the tax refund by putting money into gift cards.

The software worked fine. But they positioned this in a shady way, and don't tell you until you've already purchased the software, and are ready to submit your return. I will never buy another Intuit product, and suggest you don't buy this with the intent of getting the gift cards. Unless you really don't mind your most sensitive financial information being sold.

On the plus side, I can expect better targeted telemarketers and mailers. I'm sure I'll get to perfect my pitch shutting the telemarketers down.
on March 25, 2014
I have used Turbo Tax before and it fulfilled its purpose again this year. My problem was with the refund bonus offer that came with the product. I elected to have a portion of my tax refund applied toward an Amazon gift card, and Intuit was to issue the gift card with an additional bonus. I filed my return more than 6 weeks ago. Within 9 days of e-filing, I had received my refund. The refund reflected a reduction to account for the gift card that Intuit was to deliver. Yet, Intuit has yet to deliver on its promise. What's more, I have tried to communicate with Intuit about it but it is non-responsive. They have taken part of my tax refund!!!
VINE VOICEon November 30, 2013
Seems like people either love or hate TT. If you've used it for years like I have, it is so simple to move over your previous years return plus any accumulated capital losses that may go back a couple of years (a big plus for me). I don't have a particularly complicated return - no partnerships or LLC's, just your basic income and expenses but TT has pointed out more than one deduction I would have missed on a manual basis. And besides, who really wants to plow through the convoluted IRS forms! As always, the early release is subject to numerous updates before it's complete so don't buy it early if you want to file and be done. I like to get it as early as possible so I can do some year end tax planning based upon my overall tax picture and it's perfect for that. I do wish they would start including a free state e-file in the deluxe fed + state version but good old Intuit loves to nickel and dime its customers to death and when you own the vast majority of the market you can get away with it, unfortunately.
The manufacturer commented on the review below
on February 15, 2014
Beware - this refund offer has elements of a scam. All the advertising states you can apply your full refund towards an Amazon e-gift card (maximum card value of $2000). That's simply a lie. Intuit holds back $200 from being eligible for the gift card. Intuit claims this holdback is to cover filing fees on the Fed refund. That's also a lie. I can't imagine anyone having anything close to $200 of Turbotax fees for filing (if they do, they should be dumping Turbotax for an alternative). In fact, I had $0 filing fees and Intuit still applied the $200 holdback.

Complaints regarding this can be found on Intuit's customer forum.
44 comments| 7 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse