1,420 Reviews

Published 7 months ago by jjceo

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow To Release Forms and Too Much Marketing
Published 5 months ago by J. Land

2.0 out of 5 stars Slow To Release Forms and Too Much Marketing, February 2, 2014
J. Land (AZ, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TurboTax Deluxe Fed, Efile and State 2013 with Refund Bonus Offer (Software)
I've been using TurboTax since 1997, but this could well be my last year. The drill is pretty consistent year to year, so I can get through it quickly with some upfront organization - like reviewing credit card statements, checkbook register, and investment statements then consolidating my deductions and investment income in an Excel spreadsheet before starting TT. I'm usually ready to file after the first week of January, but end up waiting until February for everyone else to get their act together - whether it is the IRS or Intuit updating their software or banking institutions that take too long printing out forms with numbers that were already well accrued for the year - everyone seems to have an excuse.

I've successfully used the TT e-file to get my Federal taxes in this year. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to submit my Arizona taxes at the same time due to Intuit not having Form 140 completed. The software says I can't file, but gives no indication when this will be resolved - just check back for the update. You need to search for Inuit's web site where they list the details on form availability for both Federal and all State forms. It currently says I'll be waiting until Feb. 18, which is an extension beyond their previous forecast of Jan. 31. It's inexcusable to me that they can delay nearly half way into tax filing season before having a ready product.

Another point to be wary of regarding the "Refund Bonus Offer." I'm an avid Amazon shopper and I thought the idea of getting a 10% bonus for directing some of my Federal return to a gift card would be great. It helped push me over the edge on buying TT from Amazon. After reading the fine print, however, I'm not going to be taking them up on the offer. Once you're in the process of filing and you elect to take the gift card option, you are presented with a series of disclosure agreements that you must accept. It boils down to this. You agree to have a deposit account opened at Sunrise Bank. Your refund and personal information (it's not clear the extent of this, but it is at least your name, e-mail, refund amount, and direct deposit account numbers) is transferred to Sunrise Bank. They then handling the split between what goes into your direct deposit and gift card amounts. So, they transfer your direct deposit to your bank. Then they send the gift card amount to a gift card company in California, who then purchases the gift card from Amazon. All along your "personal information" is being sent and you agree to abide by their use of your information for marketing purposes. They state that they can use your information for up to a year, unless you call them to limit their usage. After walking through this process, I backed out. I couldn't justify the release of an unknown amount of personal data and 3rd party marketing, in return for a mere $50. ($500 + 10% gift card). Ultimately, it seems like you agree to them making money from marketing your information, in order to offset the additional 10% bonus - you pay for it in the end. Rightfully so, the Amazon fine print states that they are not affiliated with this gift card offer. Buyer beware.

3.0 out of 5 stars State download misleading; Quirks continue, January 14, 2014
K. Gregg (Tucson, AZ USA) - See all my reviews
I have been using TurboTax since about 1994, and have watched it evolve. In general, I like how it works, and am used to its overall approach. In the 2013 version, I noted a couple of things which I hope will be fixed in later versions:

1) When starting the process to select and download the one included "state" package, the dialog box shows the state you have selected in an area entitled "states not yet paid for." Along the top, there is a progress indicator, showing that the next phase will collect billing information. That was disconcerting and misleading enough for me to go back to the physical box and make sure I bought the correct product that includes one state for free. When I confirmed that I had the right product, I continued the process, and it turns out that it skips over the billing and goes right to the download phase - indicating that the one state was included for free. Whew. Good news, but the interface shouldn't imply that you will be billed unless you actually select more than one state.

2) This issue has been around for awhile, and I was hoping it would be addressed. I prefer to work in Forms mode, rather than spend time in the step-by-step interview mode. But no matter what mode you're in when you save and close, opening the return later always puts you in the interview mode. You can get back to Forms mode with one click of an icon (in the upper right corner), but when you get there, all the forms you had open before are closed. I would much prefer that it take me to whichever mode I was in when I last worked on the return, and if that was Forms mode, I would prefer seeing still open all the forms I had open when I last worked on the return. This is more of a pet peeve and annoyance, based on the way I tend to work (wanting to pick up exactly where I left off in Forms mode).

5.0 out of 5 stars A solid and reliable tax software program that I have used for many years!, November 26, 2013
I do our taxes every year and it is a tedious job. If it wasn't for TurboTax I probably would have it done. This year's version is pretty much the same as past years and I am glad because I have used the software for as long as I can remember and I like following the same walk through routine that TurboTax makes you follow. Using TurboTax is fast and easy and I like several features that I use every year:

* The ability to import last year's data automatically into this year's preparation.
* The ability to E-file your taxes with the federal government which speeds up your refund, if you are getting one.
* The itemized deductions for gifts to charity is very helpful as we donate quite a bit every year and it makes it easier to compile a list, keep it for your records and come up with a reasonable value to claim on your taxes.
* I actually pre-calculate my next year's taxes and print out the forms to mail in quarterly payments for the next year's taxes to avoid a penalty.
* The ability to keep a PDF copy of your tax return forms for your records as well as print out the forms it you need them.
* I always save my tax computer files and I buy the disk version of TurboTax in case I have to reinstall the software and make an update or file an amended tax return later on.

The nice thing is that you can update the program and make sure that you have all of the latest updates to the tax laws and forms. Having TurboTax walks me through the forms and helps me fill them out faster and easier than reading all of those tax pages written for lawyers.

I just use the combined federal and state version of TurboTax and file electronically. This version includes the ability to file up to 5 Federal tax reports electronically. You can download the state version of TurboTax for one state for free. If you want to file your state return electronically then you have to pay for the privilege. I like the fact that I can quickly do my state taxes after finishing the federal forms. I also always estimate my next year's taxes and print out the prepayment forms that I customize to fit what additional income I am expecting.

These are just a few of the main features that I like with TurboTax and I recommend the software to you as an easy tool to use. I do wait to find a good price on it as the price keeps going up and up every year.

The manufacturer commented on the review belowSee comments
3.0 out of 5 stars Reliable in the past but beware 2013 software is buggy!, January 16, 2014
As always, installation was incredibly simple and easy and instantly imported my previous tax return and employer W2 electronically so I didn't have to enter the data myself. After answering all of the interview questions, it determined which deduction was more beneficial (Itemized or the Standard deduction). It then analyzed my return for errors and found none.

However, I always double and triple check my returns myself. I did the SAME return online at Intuit's website and it imported the same return information and W2 from my employer only there was a $100 difference in my Federal refund. The software I installed on my PC had calculated my Federal refund exactly $100 less than it did on Intuit's website.

I then switched to view my 1040 Individual Income Tax Return form to look for any errors in calculations or mis-entries. I found none. All of the numbers were entered correctly in the correct boxes on the form. So then I downloaded the TurboTax mobile app from the Apple App Store to my iPad just to TRIPLE check since it lets you calculate returns for free before filing. It came up with the exact same numbers as Intuit's online website did.

So both Intuit's website and their TurboTax Mobile App are giving me the same figures, but my TurboTax Deluxe 2013 software I have installed on my PC is giving me a refund that adds up to exactly $100 less and cannot be accounted for.

Surely I want the higher Federal refund that both the Mobile App and Intuit's website are telling me I should be getting versus what their PC software is telling me. But what if it is correct and the other two are apps are wrong? Which one should I trust?

And yes, I have installed all updates to the program so the software is currently up-to-date.

I then deleted my return and uninstalled the software and reinstalled so that I could start over from scratch with a "clean slate" so-to-speak and kept getting the same irreconcilable figure as before that still did not match up against either their online software or their mobile app.

I have been using Intuit's TurboTax software for about 17 years now. It's usually simple and pretty reliable. I just hope they come out with an update to fix the bug in this year's software so that I can reconcile my return and get the exact same results on all three of their software filing solutions before I submit my returns otherwise I'll either have to A.) Amend my returns which is an inconvenience and hassle because you have to mail them to the IRS and/or B.) Get a letter from the IRS at a later date saying I owe them more money. I don't know about you but I hate getting surprises like that.

I generally prefer using TurboTax to do my taxes for piece-of-mind but this year, something just doesn't add up. I encourage all of you doing your returns with the PC software to do the same and double-check your returns against their website and mobile apps and see if your calculations are the same. It's YOUR money.

stem
The manufacturer commented on this review(What's this?)
Posted on Jan 20, 2014 6:27:30 PM PST
Dave... The Online and desktop versions of TurboTax use the same calculation code. There is no difference and in my many, many years with TurboTax I have never seen a documented case where it is different. I strongly suspect the data entered was not identical. The other issue could be that you were not using the latest version of the desktop software. The IRS continues to update forms regularly and your versions may not have been the same across platforms.

Bob Meighan, VP TurboTax

1.0 out of 5 stars had to get a download code for state software, January 30, 2014
the software wanted 39.99 for the state software even though it was included in the deluxe version. i contacted customer service, and it took over one hour to get a code to download the state software without an additional charge. i'm going to have to reconsider purchasing this package going forward if it requires additional time every year to get a download code.

4.0 out of 5 stars Most likely the best there is, but not perfect, January 20, 2014
DO YOU NEED TO FILE STATE TAX? Make sure you get a state version if you do, or federal only if you don't.

This review is for TuboTax 2013 Deluxe for Federal Returns. Fortunately I live in Texas and there is no state income tax so I don't have to worry about the state portion.

TurboTax has had its share of issues but I came back to it because it does seem to be the best there is, but I'm knocking off a star because of the history of issues I've had with the program in previous years (like it not calculating tax correctly until I deleted some assets and then re-entered them). However, I was a little shocked to read that it requires 515MB of HD space PLUS up to 1.5GB more if Microsoft .NET 4 if not installed (Mac is only 360MB). Wow! That could be over 2GB of HD to do taxes. How inefficient we have become, bat at least HD space is cheap nowadays.

The system requirements specifically mention Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7/8 but not Windows 8.1. When I installed it on my Windows 8.1 64-bit machine, installation (mid Jan 2014) seemed to go well without any problems. When it checked for updates, it found 4 updates and they all seemed to install properly... so no major install issues for me (unlike a few years ago).

NOTE: Deluxe will do a Schedule C just fine, but it may not provide as much help as the Home & Business version. If you have been doing taxes yourself for awhile then you might not need to pay the extra money for the additional help.

I will update this review as I continue to use the product.

Pros:
* Price includes federal E-File
* Overall, probably the best tax program there is
* Does not say it works on Windows XP 64-bit (but does with 32-bit XP with SP 3+) (anyone even use XP 64-bit anyway?)
* Works on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7/8/8.1
* Deluxe version can do a Schedule C for the self-employed - but it doesn't provide as much guidance as the Home & Business edition
* Claims that your return will be accurate, guaranteed* (with some fine print)

Cons:
* Not perfect (but how can US taxes ever be perfect)?
* Have encountered bugs in previous years that caused me to have to delete and re-enter assets
* Might take over 2GB of HD space on Windows according to the system requirements
* I'm not happy with the reports I've read indicating saying that Intuit lobbies Congress to keep taxes overly complicated, presumably so they can make more money from sales of their tax software.

WARNING ABOUT THE ONLINE VERSION (DOES NOT APPLY TO DESKTOP VERSION):

* Intuit has removed the ability to do Schedule D and E in TurboTax Online Deluxe (you need Premier)
* Intuit has removed the ability to do Schedule C and F in TurboTax Online Deluxe (you need Home & Business)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Product -- Year after Year, November 29, 2013
Roger N. Bryan (Ooltewah, TN USA) - See all my reviews
I've used TurboTax for many years and found it to be a good product. There is, however, no reason to order it before, say, mid-January inasmuch as most of the forms are, at best, tentative awaiting IRS finalization. The 2013 version is pretty much the same as the versions for the last two or three years -- in fact, I can't detect any changes. The carry forward of "stuff" from 2012 (if you used TurboTax in 2012) is handy especially if your taxes are the same (except for amounts) from year to year. TurboTax has some minor shortcomings but it sure makes it MUCH easier to wade through the myriad of IRS forms and their embedded illogic..

1.0 out of 5 stars No good for stock trades, February 1, 2014
Can not do a basic sch d with stock trades, they made me upgrade to premier. After 15 years of using Tt deluxe you think they would make it more know to people. They had me upgrade, gave me a 10$ Code for credit which I could Not enter, then spent 30 min, on chat explaining what happened, they finally credited me back the whole amount I paid for the upgrade.

1.0 out of 5 stars For Mac users, Efile for both federal and state fails, February 1, 2014
If you have a Mac I would purchase other tax preparation software. Just like last year, once you have completed inputting your information and have essentially hit the very last button in the process, you receive a validation error which indicates you need to install an update. Unfortunately the update doesn't resolve this problem. I am not alone, there are tons of people who have posted this question in the Troubleshoot section, and don't receive the proper answer from Turbo Tax. Goodluck waiting for support, minimal wait time was an hour.

4.0 out of 5 stars Follow directions, and you'll be fine., December 26, 2013
JboneCA (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
This is all you need if you have a typical tax return. If you're a college student, or just got your first job, and have little or no investments, odd deductions, or "well, what happened was…" stories, this will do the job and save you the hassle and money of a professional tax preparer.

All of the negative comments could have been prevented by considering the following:

1. This is not a silver bullet. It will do 90% of the work for you, but you still need to be able to follow simple directions, have access to pertinent records, and be willing to put in the work to discover the tips and tricks the professionals already know.

2. Time is money. You COULD complete your entire tax return with this program, but keep in mind that the more complicated your finances the more time you'll have to invest. In some cases, it's worth it to just pay someone to do it for you.

TurboTax Deluxe Fed, Efile and State 2013 with Refund Bonus Offer
TurboTax Deluxe Fed, Efile and State 2013 with Refund Bonus Offer by Intuit, Inc. (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / 8 / Vista / XP)
Add to wishlist