Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on December 27, 2012
Although the text indicates that OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) is supported, there is a critical caveat. The software only runs in 64 bit mode. There is no 32 bit version. OS X can run in either 32 or 64 bit mode, and some Apple HW does not support 64 bit mode, only 32. First check your OS: <apple symbol> -> About this Mac -> More Info -> Software. In the System Software Overview, check the line "64-bit Kernel and Extensions" if the setting is 'No', then you should not purchase this product. [Revision 3/7/2013 - Look at <apple symbol> -> About this Mac -> More Info -> Hardware. If your processor name is Intel Core Duo, as mine is, this product will not run. If your processor is Intel Core 2 Duo, it _may_ run as others report, I cannot verify] Here is the Intuit information regarding this. [...] It should be much more obvious that this product is incompatible with a large number of otherwise perfectly functional Macs.
2020 comments| 151 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 25, 2012
This application downloaded, installed (iMac) and runs fine (of course... an iMac always runs fine :-). I worked with it for a couple of hours so far... and did not experience any operating issues. There are always updates to be received, which is the nature of the product. The application is designed to be able to continuously revisit previously entered information and it always recalculates the return with each update received. Perfect for entering tax return information as received or to break the filing task up over time. This is my tenth year of using Turbotax... I've never had a problem with the use of the application or the results. Became even more convenient several years ago with the ability to save PDF versions of returns (previously had to keep a copy of the software installed on the computer to be able to open an archived tax returned).
on January 3, 2013
I read a review stating that if your mac is running in 32bit mode in Snow Leopard, that the software will not work. However, that isn't the case. As long as you have a mac running a core2duo or higher, this software will run fine. My early 2008 macbook pro had no problems opening it in snow leopard 32bit. Seems to work the same as turbotax has for the past few years. No complaints.
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 9, 2013
I paid the stated price for the software, did my Federal and State taxes and then when I am ready to E-file - I find out I have to pay an EXTRA $20 (on top of what I paid to Amazon) in order to E-file my state taxes. I was very disappointed that this fee was not disclosed up front. The software is great, but they should do a better job of disclosing all the prices and fees up front.

For my state taxes, I didn't pay the $20 and went directly to my state Department of Revenue website. I was able to E-file it for free with no thanks to TurboTax.
on January 5, 2013
Another review lambasted this version of TurboTax for not working with Mac's Snow Leopard (OSX 10.6.8). It very well may not have worked for them. HOWEVER, the information they gave to determine if it will work or not was totally wrong. By their information my system would not have worked, but indeed it does. If you follow the tech support links they provided to Intuit, then to Apple, you get to [...] which has a little table to show you what processor is 64 bit:

Intel Core Solo 32 bit
Quad-Core Intel Xeon 64 bit
Core i3 64 bit
Core i5 64 bit
Core i7 64 bit

If so, you can run this version of TurboTax. For instance, my 2010 iMac uses a Core i3 processor, which is 64 bit, and TurboTax works. However by the other incorrect reviewer's reply, my computer would have "failed".
on November 27, 2012
I have used TurboTax for several years so I purchased it again . . . this time using the download to Amazon library so I can install on more than one computer (I hope). Downloading went great and install was a whiz as usual, including the transfer of last years generic data.
on May 28, 2014
It's likely cheaper to use the TurboTax software as opposed to hiring a professional to do your taxes. If your taxes are not too complicated (not a business owner), then you can definitely use this software even if you have no idea about taxes. Their friendly UI will walk you through your taxes step-by-step and takes about an hour or two to get through all the questions. You will learn a lot about your taxes by going through the process and filing them will only get easier year after year.
on January 5, 2013
Just bought & downloaded this to my Mid-2011 Mac Mini running Mountain Lion. Download took about five minutes. It installed with no problems. It immediately downloaded a new version and then some updates. It seems to work just fine so far. I've used Turbo Tax for years with no problems. So far it appears this year will be the same.
on February 10, 2013
I'm running this fine on a MacBook Pro, early 2008 model, under Snow Leopard, 10.6.8. It works like a charm, updates without a hitch. Here are the details.
-----------------------------------------------------------

A couple of reviewers have given Turbo Tax only 1 star, labeling it defective, blasting Amazon and Intuit for not providing the right information, claiming it doesn't run on laptops without a 64-bit kernel extension, saying it doesn't update.

For example, some claim that if you look at the System Info, Software, and see this

"64-bit Kernel and Extensions: No" it won't run. Well, it does, and runs fine. The key, according to the Intuit site and its linked Apple info, is that it be an Intel Core 2 Duo or more recent. (System Info, Hardware)
----------------------------------------------

Some have also claimed that the "Software is Defective" writing that the software from Amazon doesn't update. Well, that's not true; it updates just fine.

You buy it, it downloads a .dmg file. You click on that; it opens an Amazon downloader, which does the downloading. That results in a classic window, with the Turbo Tax icon and a big arrow indicating you should drag it into the Applications folder.

Launch it. It asks you to register. You then get the opening screen, with a large Begin button. Click it; it says that there are updates. Click and it downloads them -- only 95 megs or so (Feb 10). It relaunches the program, presents you with the opening screen. You click Begin again and it checks and reports that there are no updates at this time--and you're ready to start doing your taxes. Of course, there are no updates--it just downloaded them for you!) I think that's what may have thrown another reviewer.
---------------------------------------

My only regret is that I didn't buy the boxed DVD version. It costs the same as the download, but comes with a promotional code to buy a boxed version of Quicken. Of course, for the Mac, that's Quicken Essentials which has received some of the poorest reviews I've ever read--and still hasn't been brought back up to speed. So, maybe it's no great loss.

Plus, I can start doing my taxes right away. Oh, joy! No, seriously, with Turbo Tax, it's always more fun than labor.
on March 3, 2013
I checked the operating software on my Mac which is 10.6.8, therefore, I purchased through Amazon for the digital download. It downloaded, but there is this big white circle with the X on it and it would not install. I phoned Turbo Tax, they told me I have to buy a new computer, that it is not compatible.