Automotive Deals Summer Reading Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Water Sports

VINE VOICEon December 27, 2011
TurboTax continues to be a bright point in Intuit's line-up. As usual, critical elements of my 2010 return made the transition smoothly and I was able to put together an initial version of my return with no problem. Perfect for getting a picture of how my final taxes will look so that I can plan deductions, etc. for the reminder of the year. No problem installing and downloading updates. Works great all around. The download version from Amazon is a major plus (although you will only be able to choose wither the PC or MAC version). The DVD/CD option carries both verisons.
on December 25, 2011
TurboTax Deluxe 2011 is very similar to the previous versions, although of course updated for this year's tax tables

Note: This version does NOT include filing a state return -- it's Federal only. Using the built-in upgrade will cost you more, so if you need to file a state return, buy "TurboTax Deluxe Federal + E-file + State 2011" instead of this one.
66 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 13, 2012
I've been a TTax user for many years. My return is simple enough that I could probably get by without buying the Deluxe version, but I usually do. I thought about saving a few bucks by using the online version but I'm afraid to. Your data on someone else's server is another opportunity for disgruntled employees or hackers to destroy your life. And, when you get ready to print, their servers may be down or overloaded. So, I always purchase. The Amazon download and install worked flawlessly and the installer created a Windows backup just in case I had a problem. As I said in the title, one problem is that every year they make significant changes to the GUI. Some of these are clearly improvements and others are probably due to tax law changes. In the end, it's pretty easy to use the wizards to fill out the forms. The "final" check is very useful in that it finds "errors" that may or may not be errors. In my case, I left a 1099 placeholder for a bank that I thought I might be getting interest from. It saw that I had not entered data, a good reminder to do so (or delete, as I did later). Then, it said that I hadn't entered some data in another form. Selecting the "forms" mode, I was able to enter the missing data. I don't know if I forgot to enter the data or if TTax forgot to ask. Finally, it said that I had not entered data for "installment income". I don't have any of that. It requires a little bit of detective work to figure out how this form was generated. They COULD point you to one of the wizards to re-run and look for the source of the problem. In this case, it looked like there is a TTax error. On one page, the "installment income" checkbox was checked and could not be unchecked. I entered "none of the above" but the block remained checked. Fortunately, I was able to delete the form and finish. So, this looks like an error. From past experience, I'm used to getting TTax updated virtually every time I started it. But, my TTax said my version was "up to date". Here it is, mid-February, and we have "bugs" like this that should have been fixed. I'd like to go ahead and submit my return as I'm getting money back but I'm afraid that there will, as in the past, be more TTax updates. All in all, unless there was a large price differential in the future, I'm happy enough with TTax to stay with it.
on January 28, 2012
For the second year in a row, I purchased Turbo Tax Deluxe from Amazon online via download. The product was downloaded without a problem. Installation was not so good. I am one of those folks that prefers to install software in a location of my choosing. I proceeded to install on my Win 7 desktop. TT 2011 did offer me the option of selecting the location, but the installer crashed before I could even select the folder. I tried in "Safe Mode" with the same result. Just for grins I tried on my Vista machine with the same results. I tried the install on my XP (SP3) laptop and it installed fine. I then went back and tried a "Compatibility Mode" install on the Vista machine (SP2 because Vista doesn't have an SP3 mode). The installer said it had to have SP3 mode. So I tried it on the Win 7 in SP3 mode. It was the same as before... crashed before I could select a folder. Finally I just bit the bullet and accepted the default program location.... GRRRR! Come on Intuit! Get your act together!
on January 28, 2012
Once I purchased it, and I've been using it for years, I started seeing it in other places for half what I paid. There are rebates in stores, coupons in BJ's and even Capital One had an email offer for half price. Next year I wont order so early and defjnitely not from Turbo Tax online which is the most expensive.
on March 16, 2012
I've purchased the TurboTax CDs since the software was first introduced. This year, I thought I'd save time and money by purchasing and downloading the software--but the application was incompatible with Windows 7. I contacted Amazon about the problem and received a response that Intuit is "aware of the problem." Amazon provided a link to the TurboTax website, but the solutions weren't applicable to the problem and didn't reflect the operating system on my year-old computer. The download was a frustrating waste of time and money. The file won't install or launch. If you have a newer computer, don't bother...
on February 17, 2012
Sure, it will get your taxes done, but you'll have to go through pages and pages of "offers" like credit cards and other add-on services from Intuit much like their flagship Quickbooks software.

Intuit, when are you going to stop these practices? We've already paid for the program, so why bombard us with ads?

The software itself is just not very intuitive. All I wanted to see was the difference between filing jointly or married. All it would take is a nice tab, but after googling around, I found that you're supposed to hit forms, then type in "what-if", then pick a scenario....how in the world is a user supposed to know this?

Garbage.
on January 30, 2012
I have used TurboTax for the last several years to do my taxes. I don't have any weird situations, but I do itemize my deductions. For that reason, I have to use the "Deluxe" edition, which costs a little more than the basic version. Those of you who don't itemize, just do the free ones from TaxAct, H&R Block, or the free version of TurboTax. I have never used any of the other do-it-yourself tax programs for itemizing, so I don't have anything to compare it to. But I've been happy with it so far. I got the download version which is the same price as the CD version. The main cost of the program is the development, not the production, which justifies the price. You won't get an itemized tax return done much cheaper than this, unless you know somebody that will do it for you. Even then, I would probably trust this program. It finds every possible deduction you can take.
on March 20, 2012
I've used TurboTax for years. I decided to get the download because of the price and save a trip to the store. Well, first you have to download and install the Amazon software downloader, than you have to download TurboTax. After you've downloaded the program and start to install it, you realize it's just another installer and he has to download the rest of the program from Intuit. It took an hour and a half to download and install this year's TurboTax. Oh, and by the way, it's a memory hog and takes forever to load, pretty much like all of Intuits products. I gave it an extra star because, thank goodness, it only took 20 minutes to do my taxes.
on February 23, 2012
I've used TurboTax since its inception. It's become more difficult each year. This year I wanted to take advantage of downloading from places providing forms. It would not work until I talked to one brokerage (schwab) that worked with Intuit to solve their problem. It still does not work for any other provider of forms. At no time could I talk to a person at Intuit. They provide no help line for technical problems. The online version did not provide a url for my work product, form. I hope that intuit will get with it, and not through India (I also gave up on DELL products for this reason).