4.0 out of 5 stars Solid version.....
Published on February 16, 2012 by Austin Grisham

3.0 out of 5 stars Turbotax for tax year 2010
I filed my 1040 returns with Turbotax Premier during the last the 10 years - it is easy to use but my confidence in its accuracy diminished when for the second year my returns were audited by the IRS for inaccuracy. Both time they found that the mistake was in the program, not in my inputs (estimated tax payments disappeared in the electronic transmission).
Published on January 2, 2012 by F. J. Schmidt

3.0 out of 5 stars Turbotax for tax year 2010, January 2, 2012
F. J. Schmidt (Sanibel, FL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: TurboTax Premier Federal + E-file + State 2011 for PC [Download] [Old Version] (Software Download)

3.0 out of 5 stars Some Bugs this Time, January 3, 2012
Turbotax is usually seamless, but not so this time. It has trouble reading online bank accounts and investments, resulting in some rather large numerical errors. Maybe the upgrades before tax time will resolve the issues; one can only hope.

Addition to this review on 02/19/2013: I think that the problems encountered above were due to my banks' websites. I would upgrade Turbotax to a 5*.

1.0 out of 5 stars This is worst thing ever, March 17, 2012
I was using Tubotax for the last two years. This year is really bad. It calculated my state Tax wrong. The total income is added up $100k for no reasons. I checked my inputs,no mistakes. But the State tax income is wrong!!!! worthless junk!

1.0 out of 5 stars Buggy software that does not live to its promise, March 27, 2012
If you used H&R Block program last year and want to migrate to TurboTax, BEWARE! TurboTax promises that it can import last year data from H&R Block tax preparation program, but when I try it with my tax file, all I get is an error:
"The selected file cannot be transferred. Select another file for transfer."
Not very helpful since THIS is my last year file and I do not have another one. The file itself is perfectly OK and it can be opened in the last year's copy of H&R Block without any issues.
TurboTax attempted import produced a few error files in its directory, but they are all empty. So, it gives no clue why it failed. From the technical point of view (I'm a software engineer myself). if the file is not corrupted, the program should be able to read at least SOME of the data. If it reads nothing, it just means lousy engineering. I will ask for a refund.

1.0 out of 5 stars Slow and buggy, March 2, 2012
Worst TurboTax experience I've had. Last year I used the website. This year, for some reason, I downloaded the software from Amazon. It has been horrible. Very slow. I'm on the phone right now trying to get tech support to get this stupid thing to work. Going on 75 minutes tonight. Lots of time last night, too. They blame my computer, ISP, firewall or virus software, but who in 2012 can't figure out how to process a credit card payment? Very, very disappointing. Do not download this software!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not for frequent traders, April 6, 2012
After buying this product and spending many hours I came to learn for the first time that this product limits the number of trades that can be downloaded and even if manually entered it then tells you that the dollar value of the transactions exceeds what is allowed and you can not e-file. Not sure why after many years of using this product that TurboTax took this action.

I will no longer use this product.

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid version....., February 16, 2012
Turbotax, as usual, provides a user friendly interface that makes tax preparation relatively straight forward. I only have two small issues with it. The first being the load time of the program, as the sluggish Turbotax rivals most high end video games in the time it takes to be up and running. Secondly, the downloaded version of Turbotax needs to be immediately updated, why doesn't Turbotax update the their downloadable version every day?

But other than those two issues this has been the least trouble prone version of TT in years. It is especially useful for investors who need a robust vesion for more complicated tax reporting.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worst Version in 10+ Years - changed child status, April 3, 2012
Be very careful if you file a child's taxes with this version of TurboTax. If messed up by changing our son's status from "dependent of someone else" to "non-dependent" person.

This is the 10th+ year that I have used Turbo Tax to do our families taxes. All of the other years I have never had an issue. I currently have a son as a student. We did his taxes (Imported from last year), and set him up as a dependent of mine for his personal filings. We completed his simple return and efiled. Since it was an easy filing, I did not make a detailed check of his forms assuming Turbo Tax did it correctly, stupid me. Unknown to us, TurboTax desided to change his filing status from a dependent of mine to a non-dependent. Thus when I attempted to file our taxes, it was rejected due to his SS# already being used (his personal return). So now we are required to file an ammended return for him (both Fed and State). His ammended taxes now have to be filed by mail and can take 8 or more weeks to be processed. We are no longer allowed to efile our taxes due to this messup. So not only do I loose my $19.95 for my State efile, but now I have to mail our returns also which will cost. To send all of the taxes to the Fed and State will cost in excess of $10. The worst part is that we have to let the IRS (both Fed and State) know that our son's taxes were ammended and we will have to wait until his ammended taxes are excepted and processed before ours are handled. This will take over 3 monthes waiting for our return.

I would have thought it might have been us, but we have friends that also had this issue and were smarter then us and examined the forms before filing them and caught the problem.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very thorough & complete, but with annoying errors..., July 22, 2012
I have been using TurboTax every year since at least 2000. For the most part I have found it very helpful. However, there are times I don't understand the way something is worded on the TT screen, but selecting Help takes me to IRS instructions which don't explain the TT wording or for which the connection to the TT screen is not clear. I believe the Help materials have decreased in quality over the years.

I also have an uncommon situation: I live in a foreign country which requires me to pay income tax. For that reason, I choose not to take the Foreign Earned Income (FEI) exclusion, because I would rather the US gov't get my money than the gov't where I live. But this year TT would not let me not take the FEI exclusion. No matter how many times I chose not to take it, the program would always automatically change my answer! Tech support could not find a way around this. The bottom line is that I struggled with this right up to the filing deadline & ended up needing to file by mail, because the program would not let me e-file the way it was. I missed the deadline due to this bug.

Which brings me to my final gripe: Tech Support. The last guy spent 4 hours with me on a chat trying to figure this out, which is really above & beyond. But the prior contacts with Tech Support were more like efforts to convince me that I was doing something stupid and there was really no problem. You have to badger these people incessantly to admit that there is actually a bug in their program. Even then, they're not about to fix it! (After finally admitting to a bug, Tech Support then sent me another e-mail detailing a work-around which had already been tried several times to no avail.)

1.0 out of 5 stars Bad, bad, bad for stock traders, April 13, 2012
Last year I became an active stock trader and this year, doing my taxes in Turbo Tax was a frickin' nightmare.

(1) TurboTax can handle amounts only up to $10,000,000. So, if you traded in and out of stocks, IN TOTAL, greater than that amount, you will be screwed.

(2) I had over 2000 trades which I imported from my brokers. However, this caused the program to GRIND TO A HALT. Apparently, it just keeps recalculating the return over and over again and starts going EXTREMELY SLOWLY!

(3) TurboTax customer service is really spotty. One representative will tell you one thing, one will tell you another.

(4) I needed to enter some business information and TurboTax told me that I needed to upgrade from Premiere to Home & Business which I did. However, as one competent customer service rep told me, that screwed up my software. I had to uninstall it completely and re-install a clean version.

(5) I tried to delete all the trades that had been entered. TurboTax would not successfully "unimport" the imported trades. Doing it by hand took minutes a trade to delete.

I'll never go near this product again.

Rate and Discover Movies