Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

VINE VOICEon December 23, 2011
I have never had any issues with TurboTax. I've used the product for at least a dozen years, even to do the taxes for a home based business. There is no issue with using the tool or the effectiveness. (Still puzzles me how Tim Geithner couldn't figure it out.) I have a few serious issues that do not affect the use of the product, just personal gripes. The first, is selecting the "right" version for you to use. Effectively, the most basic one will work for everything you need. The pricier versions provide you more "hand holding" through the process rather than just quoting the IRS language. It is a bit annoying as you enter different areas in the software, how they try to get you to "upgrade" online, with veiled threats of what might happen if you don't take advantage of their support and the IRS finds an error. Another, is the need to buy a "full version" every year. Seems to me, once you buy TurboTax, you could pay a lower fee each year to upgrade to the next year's version. Finally, there are situations such as mine where I live in a state with no income tax, yet to get the version I need, there are only versions with the State Income Tax software included. If I bought a lesser capable version, it can be bought for several dollars less without a State form as an option. These are just annoying things I am reminded of every year when I buy what I need to do my taxes.
1919 comments| 147 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 18, 2011
I have been using Turbotax prior to Intuit's purchase of Chipsoft, more than twenty years ago. I have all my disks, either floppy or optical for more than twenty years. Living in San Diego, Turbotax's headquarters since its inception, I know personally CPAs or Enrolled Agents (IRS specialists)who review every form or page of instructions provided in the software every year. Prior to Turbotax, I used Howardsoft's Tax Product and for a time MacInTax and one year I attempted to use TaxCut without success. But for me, its been Turbotax's drive to constantly improve and add more value in their products that sets it apart. I admit that I was annoyed a couple of years ago when I was forced to upgrade online to the Premier version from the Deluxe to successfully complete my Schedule D. I waited to the last minute to file. My girlfriend at the time, used Turbotax to discover that her longtime tax preparer had miscalculated her return which resulted in an $1100 error. Showing the preparer the Turbotax return, the tax preparer submitted a 1040X to correct the error but it took more six months to get the money back. I admit that Turbotax is and primarily a Windows based product and that most the problems complained about here were Mac issues. As I stated in my review title, Turbotax is the best Non-Professional Tax software available today without exception.
on January 1, 2012
I have been filing my own taxes since I was 16. I am now 60. I have tried most of the programs out there. Turbo Tax is by far the best. H&R Block, by far the worst. I use the "Turbo Tax Premium" because it has rental properties on it. It keeps track year by year (by importing last years form, from a saved Turbo Tax copy) on depreciation and prompts you for all deductions. You can't beat it. WalMart had the same program for $84. Amazon comes through again.
on January 13, 2012
I bought this program based on Turbo Tax's representation that I could "easily" import last year's tax data from their competitor's programs. (It was on sale at Costco, so I decided to get an early start on taxes.) Not only can't I import data "easily," but it appears I can't at all. But to learn that, I've been on a chat line with Turbo Tax for over an hour as the well-intentioned but incompetent folks on their help line try to figure out why I can't do what their company claims I can do. It's just maddening.

Perhaps this program is just fine if you've been using it for years or if you don't care about importing last year's data, but I hate misrepresentations.

Back to H&R Block. They're not perfect, but at least their product is what they claim it to be.
1313 comments| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2012
Horror story (non fiction)---
I owned and occupied a duplex 2005 and 2006. I am retired and peronally did a healthy amount of repairs to the property and kept a complete set of expense records w/Turbo Tax including depreciation; capital improvements,taxes/ and included prorating 50% attributable to my unit. Every item was listed on a spread sheet for the years involved.
Mistake #1 I was notified of an audit in 2007 and assumed it would be just a formality.
Mistake #2 I was gullible,assumed the audit would be fair, equitable and without preconceived intentions.
Mistake #3 I was not prepared for the "shock" of being told all deductions expenses and depreciation were denied.
Mistake #4 I asked to see her supervisor and was told, quote, "You can call next week and setup an appointment".

Try and find a lawyer who can / will truly and adequately represent you? Sure, you sign an aggreement and the lawyer will make money for doing very little and you are still screwed. My arbitration was set (by IRS) to take place in another city in another state over 120 miles away 3 trips (info don't go and they win) and all they did was rubber stamp the decision.

I bought a complete set of the IRC (revenue code) and fought them (PRO-SE). They stalled and stalled did not want to respond but I finally got the notice so I could proceed to Federal Court 2(1/2) years later. Thanx to my excellent Turbo Tax 2005/2006 Premier preparation and the Quicken Spread Sheet......
I WON !!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon January 12, 2012
This review is for TuboTax 2011 Deluxe for Federal Returns. Fortunately I live in Texas and there is no state income tax so I don't have to worry about the state portion.

TurboTax has had its share of issues but I came back to it because it does seem to be the best there is, but I'm knocking off a star because of the history of issues I've had with the program in previous years (like it not calculating tax correctly until I deleted some assets and then re-entered them). However, I was a little shocked to read that it requires 515MB of HD space PLUS up to 1.5GB more if Microsoft .NET 4 is not installed (Mac is only 330MB). Wow! That could be over 2GB of HD to do taxes (last year it was over 1GB). How inefficient we have become!

Fortunately the system requirements says it works on 64-bit systems, and now it specifically mentions Windows 7 64-bit as well as Vista. When I installed it on my Win 7 64-bit machine, installation (mid Jan 2012) seemed to go well without any problems. When it checked for updates, it found 4 updates at 13.2MB and they all seemed to install properly... so no major install issues for me (unlike 2 years ago), however I did have a minor issue. I accidentally canceled the initial updates because the program responded slowly when I clicked the Update button and so I clicked it again. The problem was by the time my 2nd click "registered", Turbotax had changed the button to a 'Cancel' button. No big deal though but a little annoying.

NOTE: Deluxe will do a Schedule C just fine, but it may not provide as much help as the Home & Business version. If you have been doing taxes yourself for awhile then you might not need to pay the extra money for the additional help.

I will update this review as I continue to use the product.

Pros:
* Price includes federal E-File
* Overall, probably the best tax program there is
* Does not say it works on Windows XP 64-bit (but does with 32-bit XP with SP 3+)
* Works on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Vista and Windows 7
* Deluxe version can do a Schedule C for the self-employed - but it doesn't provide as much guidance as the Home & Business edition
* Claims "100% guaranteed accurate calculations"

Cons:
* Not perfect (but how can US taxes ever be perfect)?
* Have encountered bugs in previous years that caused me to have to delete and re-enter assets
* Might take over 2GB of HD space on Windows according to the system requirements

Other:
* Their marketing continues to be "guide you step-by-step like a GPS" to get your max refund... hope it doesn't make mistakes like my GPS does sometimes! But they seem to have toned it down this year (good if you ask me).
on January 2, 2012
I filed my 1040 returns with Turbotax Premier during the last the 10 years - it is easy to use but my confidence in its accuracy diminished when for the second year my returns were audited by the IRS for inaccuracy. Both time they found that the mistake was in the program, not in my inputs (estimated tax payments disappeared in the electronic transmission).
on February 20, 2012
I have been using TurboTax for about 22 years and loved it. This year I sold four mutual funds and elected to purchase Premier rather than Deluxe thinking it might provide more instructions. When imputing mutual fund basis data it is not user friendly in the slightest. It doesn't differentiate between original purchase and reinvested dividends, doubles up on entries on Schedule D and Form 8949 (if you can find it) and doesn't explain the questions it asks. Some areas cannot be corrected even if override is selected. In exasperation I called TurboTax. Good luck there also. It took me an hour to find the phone number to call. The "Tax Expert?" I spoke with for two hours was very nice and tried to help, but really wasn't very knowledgeable. I think the problem lies with the changes the IRS made this year in basis reporting. I think I will use a CPA this year for the first time in my life. I called one today and he said he hasn't seen had one yet that required the new reporting rules, so I guess I will wait a few weeks. Maybe TurboTax will update their software by then also.
Added 02/21/2011
I had a copy of H&R Block at Home Delux that they sent me Free in December to get me back. (I had used their software in 2009)I loaded it today and completed my fairly complicated tax return in four hours. I had spent two whole days trying to get four mutual funds into TurboTax. No need now for the CPA and Good By forever to TurboTAX Welcome back H&R Block.
on January 6, 2012
As an accountant I appreciate the value of a buck, especially this year. I have been using TurboTax for years because I have never found a better tax software. When I began day trading stock and expanded into rental property in addition to my accounting salary life got complicated. That is when I upgraded to TurboTax Premier. Now I have the peace of mind of knowing that I will not miss deductions or make a math error. Issues like remembering if I have deferred tax credits from last year and is my depreciation schedule up to date are not problems because TurboTax automatically brings the figures forward from last years tax return. Also there is the matter of the reputation of TurboTax. The IRS loves Turbotax with its electronic file because it is accurate and be electronically processed very quickly. Time is money, your money.
55 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 3, 2012
Turbotax is usually seamless, but not so this time. It has trouble reading online bank accounts and investments, resulting in some rather large numerical errors. Maybe the upgrades before tax time will resolve the issues; one can only hope.

Addition to this review on 02/19/2013: I think that the problems encountered above were due to my banks' websites. I would upgrade Turbotax to a 5*.