Most helpful positive review
14 of 15 people found the following review helpful
Practice Makes Perfect
on September 4, 2009
For the past 4 years, I'd used a HAI Stik ceramic flat iron, and it worked OK. I never loved it, and the other day it died. So, I need a new straightner STAT, and my hair dresser had used the Croc on me once, and I loved how it looked, so I decided to purchase this one.
I have fine wavy hair -- not super thick. If I let it dry naturally, it'd be a frizzy mess, so I blow dry and straighten.
The first time I used this flat iron, I cranked it up to the max (450°F), and it totally fried my hair. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE SUPER THICK, DURABLE HAIR, START WITH A LOW, LOW SETTING AND WORK UP! I now use it at 360°F, and it gets my hair super straight super fast.
- Heats up FAST (like in under 30 sec.)
- Digital temperature gauge that shows you exactly how hot it is
- More powerful than ceramic (i.e. gets my hair straighter faster, so it reduces my styling time).
- Unlike a ceramic flat iron, you can't touch the outside of the iron part because it gets too hot. You can only hold onto the handle. With ceramic, I would hold the iron in one hand and with the other hand, I'd clamp the iron tight onto my hair to help guide it in the right direction. Can't do that now. Now, I have to only grip the handle and try to keep it straight and in the direction I want. Getting used to it, though.
- Took a while to find the correct heat setting that wasn't damaging my hair -- START AT A LOW SETTING to avoid frying your hair or making it super limp.
- The warranty on this product is only good through the seller, it's for a very limited time (I think 10 days), and it's not valid if you open the product and try it out. Basically, research this product before buying it so you know exactly what you're getting because there's really no returning it.
- Weird notes from the seller stuck into the packaging to assure me that even though the product packaging doesn't say "titanium" on it anywhere, that it IS indeed titanium.
Overall, I'm very pleased with this iron. Just wish the outside of it didn't get so hot.