4.0 out of 5 stars Solid new CD from Soulive, October 7, 2003
daGUY (Westfield, NJ USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turn It Out Remixed (Audio CD)
I pre-ordered this album so it arrived in my mailbox on the day of its release (October 7th). I've been listening to it all day and it's a decent album.
Take the original Turn It Out album, re-think all the tunes, throw in samples from the originals, add some bumping bass & turntables, overlay it all with a heavy hip-hop beat and sprinkle some rap on top. That's Turn It Out Remixed.
Fans of Next will appreciate this album, it's got a similar feel (although it takes Next's "concept" even farther). My personal favorite tracks are Doin' Something Remix (feat. Meshell Ndegeocello on electric bass - wicked!), Cash's Dream Remix, and Arruga De Agua Remix.
If you aren't familiar with Turn It Out, I recommend you listen to that first - the tunes on Turn It Out Remixed are cool, but you can appreciate it more when you know the originals.
Overall, it's a solid album. If you know Turn It Out and you like Next, definitely check this out. It's like a merge of the two.

5.0 out of 5 stars totally unexpected and good, December 6, 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Turn It Out Remixed (Audio CD)
I saw the band this morning on the CBS news show and dug it so I picked this up today. I was expecting to hear the tight grooves they were playing and instead was treated to a long-form hip hop jazz journey.
Took a second to get used to but damm cool, just ordered the live album from amazon, interested to hear the evolution.
Highly recommend remixed though.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Darn Good Album!!!, October 17, 2003
"ubiquity73" (Glendale, AZ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Turn It Out Remixed (Audio CD)
If I could sum up this whole entire album, I would say that it's superb. I've never heard anything like this album. It's like they've took hip-hop and jazz to a whole different level.
Take Hip-Hop& Jazz throw in some Meshell N'degeocello seasoned with The Beatnuts a fresh can of Chali 2na& Akil (from Jurassic 5) glazed with some Wordsworth and you have yourself a dish of hip-hop soul. You get your $'s worth on this b/c it's good from start to finish, take track 2 "Tabasco Remix" as an example.
If you know good music, then this is the album for you.
Take my word, you won't be dissapointed...

Turn It Out Remixed
Turn It Out Remixed by Soulive (Audio CD - 2003)