Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on September 26, 2007
I teach special needs kids, and even the older ones (up to age 14) thought these little 'word-wheels' were a blast! Hiding the pictures with a 'lift-the-flap' means my students are more likely to actually attempt to read the word before looking at the picture to check their reading. Also, they have fun coloring, and the cutting is a good fine-motor activity. I do frequently have to cut out the 'windows' myself to avoid crying fits from frustrated students, and I usually draw a box around the word-family 'part' (ie. 'at' for the 'cat' wheel) so the kids remember to not color over the letters. If I know students will be using the wheels for a long time, I will even laminate the wheels after everything is cut out, leaving a plastic 'window' that is sturdier. I have even reduced several 'wheels' on the copier and turned them into file-folder games. One folder is for long vowels, one is for short vowels. I would love to find more interactive projects like this!
on June 1, 2000
This is a very useful book for students, parents, and educators. Students will be able to have hands on activities while learning phonics and rhyming words.
on September 20, 2003
These wheels are easy to make and my 4 1/2 year old daughter loves them.
They are a fun way to improve her reading skills. I highly recommend this book.
on December 11, 2013
I am a kindergarten teacher. This is an excellent hands-on resource for teaching simple word families. The word wheels are self-checking (many activities aren't) as well as being engaging (the children enjoy the hands-on experience of turning the wheels and lifting the flaps to check their answers). I have used this resource for several years, but loaned my old book to someone to make copies for my class (copies are very limited at my school), and they lost it. I am thrilled to have a new copy in hand!
on August 9, 2007
This has been a great product for my 5 year old, who will be entering Kindergarten in the next few weeks. She is an active, hands-on learner, who has trouble focusing on activities that aren't physical. First, she colors the pictures, then after I put on the contact paper, she practices her cutting skills, then she helps put in the brass tab and then she has a new toy! She just loves the idea that she is learning to read words. She has been frustrated trying to sound out words in the level 1 books and seeing her friends have more success with that process. We do one a day and she can't wait to show off her new phonogram to rest of the family in the evening.
on February 22, 2008
I purchased the "Turn-to-Learn Word-Family Wheels" book from "Dealspy" for a total of over $58 including shipping and handling. I thought it was a set of books, but obviously did not investigate it well. When it arrived, it was a thin workbook in black and white published by Scholastic for $11.95(now out of print). It was listed as suitable for PRE-K to 2, but the book is labeled as K - 2. This is a terrible rip-off! Amazon should remove this dealer from its list. I was able to get a refund, but had to pay mailing. Shame on Dealspy. Also check the other dealers who are also gyps on this item!
on August 31, 2007
I bought this to help my daughter (entering 2nd grade). She is an emerging reader, and the wheels have been quite helpful for recognizing words and patterns more quickly. A helpful tool.
on November 27, 2014
Very helpful though one needs a photocopier to use the book otherwise you will only be able to use half the word wheels.
on January 3, 2015
This is an excellent teaching tool Students are engaged in construction and it is a great skill builder.
on July 16, 2014
Awesome book for word chunks...kids love it!