Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Turtle Beach Ear Force Z22 Amplified PC Gaming Headset
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Periphery Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 8, 2014
It is a fairly good headset but ive had to buy two of these in two years because they break very easily. Both of these headsets that iv'e owned have broken in the same place after about a year. i have never dropped or abused it.
review image
on June 4, 2014
Updated to windows 8.1 to find out the microphone does not work. Device manager shows it as "Turtle beach Z22 Chat" - device unable to start. Turtle beach does not offer any drivers for this. Otherwise a great headset with wonderful sound.
on August 3, 2014
The only reason I give this 2 stars is because, like so many others, I couldn't install the drivers. I plugged it in, followed all the instructions, but the drivers repeatedly failed to install and my computer couldn't recognize the device. I searched far and wide but could not find a solution for this issue. These turned into an expensive impromptu gift for my roommate, since they worked without a problem on his computer for some reason.
Vine Customer Review of Free Product( What's this? )
Over the past few years I've owned 4 different versions of Turtle Beach headsets and a pair of TRITTONS and Corsairs. While most of these headsets were used with either my xBox or my PS3, I have also used several of them with my PC for gaming. My first impression of these Ear Force Z22's when I pulled them out of the box was while they looked just like some of the nicer Turtle Beach headsets out there, but the build quality felt a bit cheaper. At that point I plugged them into my Windows 7 desktop and decided to try them out for a few hours of online play.

After some time using them, I found they just didn't feel quite as cushioned for long gaming sessions like some of the other pairs I've used. But I believe this is also reflected in the headsets price point, since the more comfortable sets do cost a bit more. These are light weight, which can be good at preventing discomfort when wearing a headset for long periods of time. But it also tends to give away their cheaper build.

The sound of these Z22's is good, and it seems what this set looses in cushioning they make up for in sound. One thing I appreciate that Turtle Beach included in this set is their "Dynamic Chat Boost". My first headset with this was the Ear Force XP300 that I use with my PS3, and it makes all the different in a game when you need to hear group chat. The chat boost lowers some of the in-game sounds just enough to hear better when people in your party are chatting. It doesn't mute everything, it just brings game sounds down a notch. Then as soon as people in your party aren't talking any more, the game volume goes right back up. I love that Turtle Beach included the Chat Boost in this new set, since it works so well.

It's a very easy set to set up, basically just plugging in two cables. Plug one cable into an open USB port and the other into the headphone jack on your computer. Make certain that your audio in your PC's control panel is set to send and receive sounds from this set and you're up and running. It's just as simple as that.

Sounds from the mic come through very clear and you can adjust your mic and your other volume levels right on the inline amplifier. With the flip of a switch you can also mute your chat so that you can turn off all sounds from going into the game should you want to.

There is an included 3.5mm auxiliary cable for using with your MP3 players, iPods, tablets or anything else you have music on that you would like to listen to while playing in game with the headset on. Using this cable you can play your music, chat and hear everything going on in the game, all at the exact same time. You're able to hear your music but no one else does. To use this feature, just plug one end of the cable into your earphone jack of your music player and the other end into the earphone jack on the inline amplifier of this Z22 set, then turn on your player and play the music. The music will play through this headset just like they were headphones, however you can also hear everything going on in your game on your computer as well.

It's a great set for those looking to hear awesome in-game sounds and the ability to chat, but without breaking the bank while doing it. It's by far the best headset I've used for under a hundred dollars.
on May 13, 2015
Have had a pair for a year. Both sliders on each side have broken over the past two weeks. I typically get at least 2 years out of a pair that I have bought at, or below, the same price point. While sound quality was fine, I would not recommend, and won't be replacing these with another TB product. Actually came to Amazon to shop for a new pair, and I remembered how I think people are too quick to give glowing recommendations for products they have only had for a week. Well, I'm here to tell you if you want your headphones to last over a year, look elsewhere.
review image
on November 5, 2014
i have been using these for close to a year now and absolutely love them. the sound quality on these are great and the mic from what i am told is clear and picks up my voice perfectly without picking up the room around me. i find the ability to plug your smart phone into well your gaming very useful, another great feature is the headset itself unplugs from the control unit and is a jack that works on your phone/tablet as well allowing you to use it to talk, also if you have a laptop/netbook that uses a single audio jack ( a multi mic/headset) then it makes for a quick and easy high quality headset on the go (i use it like this as well and love it sounds great in this mode). if you need a gaming quality headset that wont break the bank and has a large set of features then this is for you and you wont be sorry.
on December 31, 2014
Great sound from both headphones and microphone. No extraneous noises. Very comfortable.

These headphones are, as some youngsters are wont to say, "the bomb". They have great sound, great separation and no background or extraneous noises are heard. The microphone picks up clear audio which makes using them both practical and comfortable.
on November 4, 2015
A friend referred me to these headphones but I was so hesistant at the beginning until I did my hw and researched a little about them: here's my story:

So I went ahead and took the risk of buying these knowing very well that Windows 10 and these headphones may not be compatible with each other, but that was not the issue at all.

These headphones work very well with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 8, and Linux Mint and Linus Ubuntu. you just need to make sure that you have a USB 2.0 slot or adapter and even a USB male to female 2.0 adapter will work fine if you don't want a bunch of stuff hanging around, and unfortunately all of my USB ports on my motherboard are at 3.0. So a quick little fix for that. (It was hardware related for me, but different for others.) One last thing: I did use my USB 3.0 slots on the motherboard and I did get the USB device malfunctioned error, unplugged and plugged these headphones back in and the Microphone came up, but would stop within 2 minutes, and I'm not sure why. Since Windows 8, again for me, most of my USB 2.0 devices will not work directly with USB 3.0 slots without a USB 2.0 hub connected into the USB 3.0 slot.

On the software side: Also I researched on Turtle beach website that you can download their Deview utility and view all usb devices that are connected and uninstall the devices in which may have malfunctioned/installed incorrectly. Surprisingly enough you will see a bunch of garbage that you won't understand but you will see TURTLE BEACH manufacturer on there as the device is being read but is in a state that it will not work properly with what you have.

About the headphones themselves.....
They work perfectly with stereo, the chatbox system is great just make sure playback is on motherboard device and the microphone for me is on the chatbox and it works great with curse, just check the forums.

My favorite part about these: I can play Transformers: Fall of Cybertron and shut the music off for that game and plug in my mp3 device to the auxillary component of the chat box controller and play the Touch (Stan Bush) and the music from my mp3 device and the fx sounds from the game blend so well together, I've never had anything so cool before. (Sad i know.)

Physical aspects about these. I have a big head and a big face with glasses. After 4 hours of blowing stuff up on the computer with these on, I still feel comfortable and fine. The padding on these are awesome, much different to the padding you would find on corsairs or razor brand, (in my experiences). The microphone is attached firmly and can swivel wherever you want it to.

The microphone: I've been told that my voice is clear and crisp on Steam, curse, skype, and raidcall. Automatically if you check recording tab on the system tray, you'll that these are auto set to DVD quality which is pretty dope imo.

So if you are hesitant about these because you read reviews about a certain operating system not working well with these, know that there is always a fix if you do your homework. (You shouldn't have to do this I know, but there are people out there like me that like to fix things.) I like these very much and I hope that this review/epistle will help those out having issues with these headphones. I'm sure there is much better out there, but for a poor bum college student like me, they're perfect.
on September 15, 2015
I originally bought one of these about a year ago and loved it. Its light weight, very comfortable, and most of all turtle beach seems to be the only company to realize how amazing being able to control chat and game volumes independently is for gamers.

That said, after about a year one of the wires connecting the amp to my computer started to fray very badly and stopped working. After hunting around I found that Turtle beach will sell you the in line amp but for the same price as the entire headset which is ridiculous. Finally I broke down and bought a whole new headset and then things got really frustrating. Between my two desktops and laptop I tried about 15 different USB ports and it would only properly recognize the drivers in 1 of them and only if i used a USB extension cable. It was soo frustrating trying to diagnosis what was wrong, and on top of that once i finally got it working everyone on voice chat said it sounded absolutely awful.

I loved the idea of this inline amp/mixer but the quality control has seriously went downhill at Turtle Beach.
on September 29, 2013
i love these headphones I'm a hardcore PC gamer it features like Turtle Beach's chat boost technology (raises the chat volume enough over the game volume to hear chat when the game audio gets loud) this headset also has mic monitoring (puts yur voice back into the headset so u can hear yurself and dont yell) and it has a Media Player/Smartphone cable (this allows u to listen music from a device like an iPod and take Phone calls from yur Smartphone when u set yur mic setting to phone call mode) these r stereo headphones but i use Razer Surround software to convert them to 7.1 channel surround sound its a free software but requires the Razer synapse 2.0 software because its a utility for the synapse 2.0 software

the headphones sound great with variable treble and bass boost features

my problem was figuring out how to set up this headset with my razer surround software and still use chat boost

this is how to do if your in my scenario

from windows (im using windows 7 but it should work on 8)
1: make sure the USB connector is plugged into yur PC and the 3.5mm cable is plugged into the headphone jack on our PC I/O port make sure u install the Razer surround software and the Synapse 2.0 software
2: Windows should automatically install a driver for the headset Let it install
3: right click on the speaker icon on the taskbar (found on desktop mode on windows 8) and click on playback devices make sure the Razer Surround audio device is the default audio device and also go to recording tab and make the Z22 chat the default Mic
4: set up the Razer Surround software from the Synapse 2.0 software (make sure when u click speakers as the audio device for me its realtek speakers)
Now u have 7.1 audio now to use the chat boost function for VOIP Programs like Teamspeak 3 and Razer Comms or Skype
from your VOIP Program select Z22 Chat for both yur Mic and Audio device

i hope that helps anyone who was was in my scenario who needed help