Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on October 28, 2012
I actually purchased this headset for the same price at Best Buy but wanted to submit a review describing what I thought of the product to hopefully help out those on the fence on purchasing this particular headset.

I had been in the market for a moderately priced headset to use for late night gaming on my Xbox 360 where I won't disturb the family. This week I paid $50 for a pair of Turtle Beach X12's. Got it home, set it all up, played a few different games to play around with the sound settings and just try the headset out. I was really impressed. After a couple hours, I started to realize a couple things. One, the microphone monitoring feature was barely working. I mean, it worked, but it was so quiet you really couldn't tell what you were saying through your headset. I searched that particular problem on the internet and I wasn't the only one that thought it was incredibly quiet. The second thing that turned me off of the X12 was they were a bit uncomfortable to wear if you wear glasses. The ear cups, although very comfortable at first and well designed, they'd eventually push on the arms of my glasses and push them into my head. Didn't feel so good after a couple hours of gaming.

Although I really liked the sound quality of the X12, I decided to return my set and buy the cheaper $30, Turtle Beach XLa set. This being the only real headset I've purchased (other than the X12 I tried out), I don't have anything really to compare it to other than the X12.

Setup was really easy right out of the box (or plastic packaging in this case). The 15' cord and headset are already connected together with red and white RCA plug-ins, and USB connections at the end of the cord. When you set this headset up you'll need to make sure you have RCA component OUTPUT ports on the back of your TV or have an Audio Adapter to use on your Xbox 360 (if you're using HDMI like me). Me, I have ports on my TV to plug them into, but I chose to do it straight from my Xbox 360, in which case I already had an adapter handy so I was good to go.

The XLa's use 40mm speakers, 10mm less than the X12's, but as far as I can tell I can't really notice much of a difference. These headphone "cups" fit ON your ear rather than OVER the ear like the X12's and many others headsets. It won't be the same for everybody, but this alone fixed my glasses problem immediately. The headband piece in the middle of the headset has a thin, almost memory foam covered in pleather like strip along the bottom that makes the headset more comfortable to wear on top of your head. So far I haven't really had a problem with the headset feeling too tight or anything. It's been fairly comfortable. The rest of the headset is made with some thick plastic. It looks a lot cheaper than other TB headsets, but I think it'll hold up well as time goes on. I don't know about you guys, but I think some people who complain about pieces falling apart and cords being severed are probably more of an operator error than poor craftsmanship. Some folks are a little too rough on things.

The audio controls are all located on the left ear cup. This isn't really -too- much of a problem, but I and probably many other people are used to having those types of controls found along the cord leading up to the headset. You have a mute/unmute switch, a Voice volume control, and a Game volume control. Again, this is just a $30 headset so I can understand wanting to make it as compact as possible. The sound controls work fine, but for me the mute switch is a tad hard to switch on and off. This set has a set Bass Boost function where most other TB headsets have an adjustable control like the game and chat audio. To me the set bass is fine and is plenty strong and packs a pretty good punch.

The microphone is really nice. It's really easy to adjust it any way you could want. I will say that this microphone, as is a lot of other TB mics, is really sensitive. You aren't going to want this right next to your mouth. Everyone will hear you breathing and every little noise you could possibly make. I keep it away from my mouth, more along my cheek and people can still hear me fine. The microphone monitoring feature works well on this. It's a lot more noticeable on this set than the X12. Your voice is amplified into the headset so you can hear what you're saying as you talk so you're not trying to yell over game audio to be heard.

The audio itself, like I said in the beginning, is coming from two 40mm speakers. I've tried out CoD: Modern Warfare 3, WWE All-Stars, Rock Band Blitz, and some other games, and I can't complain at all. I've always played off just my HDTV speakers and I am amazed at how many little sounds and nuances I haven't been able to hear before I got this headset. Games like MW3, I'm hearing bullets whiz by me, I can tell which direction they're coming from, footsteps can be placed, and the sound of a .44 Magnum blaring with the bass boost is really satisfying. Switch it over to a game like Rock Band Blitz, and I'm hearing notes in songs I never really noticed before. Just a lot nicer and cleaner than coming from my tiny HDTV stereo speakers.

Although my original intentions were to just have a stereo headset handy when I want to keep my gaming down as to not bother anyone, I've found myself wearing them most of the time just because of how good it sounds. I would say that anyone looking into a low cost headset, or need a replacement for that busted up Microsoft chat mic, I would definitely recommend the Turtle Beach XLa. It's not perfect, but for the price and its quality, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.
22 comments| 240 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2013
I am a pretty serious xbox gamer, but I've never been the best because I always had the regular chat headsets. I would keep buying cheap headsets, but they would break after about five months. However, this one is much better.
I was going to buy the Turtle Beach EarForce X12 Headset, but It was a little too expensive for my budget. After looking in every store and on every website, I finally found the Turtle Beach Ear Force XLa.
I couldn't decide wether to buy it or not, but after reading the reviews I decided to take a chance. And it was definitely worth it.

Pros:
Lightweight. After hours of playing you can barely notice it's even on your head.
Easy controls. The controls are located on the headset, which means there doesn't have to be a giant box hanging on the cord.
Great sound. The sound quality is great! I can hear things I have never heard before!
Nice durable cords. The cords are long and durable so you don't have to worry about them braking.
Great mic. The boom mic is designed so that it will only pick up the sound coming from you, and not anything else in the room. GENIUS!
It's thirty dollars instead of sixty.

Cons:
None.

Well, that's all I have to say. It's a fantastic headset for a fantastic price.
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2012
Let's look at the slight cons first:
(slight) cons:
Only stereo sound. 2 channels, however they seem very omnidirectional.
No optical input (only stereo output anyway, makes sense)
Not wireless (wireless ones eat batteries like crazy, however)
Not the most comfy (but definitely the most compact and by no means uncomfortable)

On paper, these seemed great. 40MM drivers, bass bost, microphone monitor, controls built into the ear cup, sleeker and more compact than any other models

But man I wasn't expecting them to be THIS nice. I previously owned both the Ear Force X11 Amplified Stereo Headset with Chat and the Ear Force X41 (XBOX LIVE Chat + Wireless Digital RF Game Audio with Dolby Headphone 7.1 Surround Sound).

Why I don't like wireless Turtle Beaches: batteries. Even with high-capacity, rechargeable batteries, I was swapping them out of my x41's every couple of days. Too annoying, and you still required a wire to the controller anyway.

The wires on this are the least annoying I've ever seen on a turtle beach. Thanks to the controls being located on the earcup, the wires only split to plug into the controller. It is a durable black wire that feels rigid and sturdy.

They are easy to get out of the way, and easy to wrap up.

Build construction: Durable, very light, feel very plastic-y. These aren't Sennhesiers or Beats, so I was expecting that. The rotating cups are very nice for safe storage without worry of stressing the joints.

-Sound is awesome, super loud, bass is punchy, very crisp trebles, mic monitoring lets you hear yourself (better than others can hear you, you'll hear your own breathing a lot but it only broadcasts after a certain threshold of volume is reached, so just check the mic indicator in whatever game you're playing. Eventually you get a feel for it's sensitivity).

The cups aren't uncomfortable, but if I apply pressure on the cups while wearing them, I can feel the plastic speakers press into my ears. Also felt when readjusting the mic. But since these are on-ear and not over-the-ear, I expected this.

WHY AM I EVEN STILL TALKING JUST LOOK AT THE FEATURES, THEN LOOK AT THE PRICE.
Thirty. dollars. THIRTY.
Could use a little more padding, but I ain't even mad.

Great headphones. 9.5/10.
11 comment| 90 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 2, 2013
The Turtle Beach Ear Force XLa gaming headset. Where do I start? Great Great Great! I absolutely love this item and I have not yet experienced any problem with this headset. And with the price? A even better buy with a cheap price tag. I previously owned a turtle beach x12 and x11 and i seemed to notice those things burned my ears after long gaming sessions. My ear would feel like i just stuck it in the microwave. But with this on-ear i can play long sessions no problem and the headset works no problem. And I also think the mixamp being on the headset is a bonus. Sure takes a while to get use to. Getting to remember where the chat and game volume is also the mute button. After you get use to it you'll see a big difference that it is actually faster to change between volumes. All i have to say is I will recommend this headset to all my friends and this product was a great buy.
on December 29, 2012
Cons -
1. The wires man! They are so big that you can strangle your neighbor with it, haha. But i guess that has to do with the ability to get game sound.
2. The soft thing on the top of the headband is annoying at first but after 1-2 days you get use to it because it loosens up a bit.
3. Sometimes if you want to hear party members or messages then you might have to restart the Xbox 360. As in close the button and put it back.
Pros -
1. Awesome for the price.
2. Like Beats By Dre for Xbox 360.
3. Very adjustable volume levels for the game sound and chat sound. Pretty awesome isn't it?
4. If you guys are afraid it might not work for TV sound if you set up the headphones, don't worry the television sound will still come same as it did.
5. Keeps the game sound quiet, might make the people using the headphones a little louder because they think they have to scream (effect).
6. Very very very easy to setup, i never knew that headphones like these are that easy to.
on October 25, 2014
This review will be a comparison of three entry level gaming headsets for the Xbox 360.

Turtle beach X12, Turtle beach XLA, and the Triton Trigger.

My goal was to find the highest quality gaming headset for under $50 that provided chat and game sound.

I purchased all three of these from Amazon at the same time to test them out.
Here is the price at time of purchase.
Turtle beach XLA: $29.62
Turtle beach X12: $42.71
Triton Trigger: $49.99

All three of these headsets have these same basic features.

Simple and reliable and no batteries to change
Amplified audio (USB powered –plugs into Xbox)
Separate chat and game volume controls (Plays game sound and teammate chat through both speakers)
Stereo sound (all have good sound quality)
Similar hook up to Xbox (RCA cables with optional chat wire to Xbox controller)

Still with me, OK. Let’s get on to the review.

Main differences

Usage
Both the X12 and the Triton trigger are over the ear headphones and provide good noise isolation. The XLA is an on the ear style which may be more comfortable for people wearing glasses. The triton has smaller ear cups and has a tighter fit, it will be uncomfortable for people with large heads and/or ears. The triton also provided better noise isolation than both but with the lack of Mic monitoring I found myself talking tool loud.

-Advantage: Turtle beach

Both Turtle Beach headsets have Microphone monitoring – Nonadjustable but also very nice feature and in my opinion a must.
Mic monitor allows you to hear yourself as you speak into the mic. With most closed-back headphones, you can’t hear yourself talking and end up inadvertently shouting when you talk. The mic monitor handily eliminates that side-effect.

Controls

In order for a set of gaming headphones to work with the Xbox 360, they must be self amplified. This is because the only way to get game audio from the Xbox is to tap its analog audio output or optical digital output. Rather than design an outboard box to decode and convert a digital signal, an in-line amplifier was designed in to these headsets. This also means that these aren’t capable of surround sound without an additional add-on processor. Like this one

Both the X12 and the Triton trigger have the chat and game volume controls on an inline wired module including a chat mute switch.

The X12 has a red or green LED on the controller that shows chat mute status.
The X12 also has a base boost feature which is nice for movies.

The XLA has the controls on the headset so it’s all by feel. The wires on this are the least annoying I've ever seen on a turtle beach. Thanks to the controls being located on the ear cup, the wires only split to plug into the controller. It is a durable black wire that feels sturdy. They stay out of the way, and easy to wrap up.

The Triton in line adapter is a standalone unit and allows for any headphones to be plugged into it. This is really nice if you don’t want to chat and can use any headphones of your choice. I tried it with my Bose over ear and my IPhone ear buds. The Bose sound great and the IPhone ear buds work but you must flip the mute switch because the iPhone mic and controls are proprietary and will not work, causing a high pitch squeal in game.

Since the Trigger headset is detachable from the in-line module you can use it with all other devises just like regular headphones and with smart phones for phone calls. I tested it with my IPhone and it works great for phone calls and sounds surprisingly good for music.

The overall cabling on the Triton is far superior in build quality to both the turtle beach headsets, it has a thick quality cable and great in line adapter. The triton also come with the adapter for gaming with HDMI. You can purchase this separately for under $10 if you need it. Like this one

Those using the Xbox’s HDMI connection will need to get the Xbox break-out cable that provides an analog audio connection when using HDMI. It’s either that, or you must tap a stereo monitor output off of either a TV or A/V receiver. It may sound confusing, but it really isn’t. It took just one minute to get the headset up and running.

-Advantage: Triton Trigger

Microphone
The Mic an all three sets are great.
All have the metal flexible arm and good sensitivity.
All stay put

The Triton trigger does fold up out of the way much nicer than the others.

Unfortunately the Triggers lack voice monitoring, a feature that their higher tiered headset (Detonator) contains, really holds it back. This was probably done intentionally to promote the sale of the higher tiered Detonator headset.
None are removable

Ear cups

As stated earlier:

The X12 is the clear winner here, with large ear cups and 50mm drivers vs. 40mm on the other two. I found them more comfortable and less hot to wear for extended periods of time.

-Advantage: X12

Conclusion

X12 is the overall winner

XLA is the best for those on a budget at only $30, it’s a steal.

Triton trigger is great for those with a smaller head (young adults) but upgrading to the Detonator would be the way to go for this brand.

The turtle beach X12 is the #1 selling wired gaming headset, and for good reason. For the price you can’t beat the features and comfort and function.

Although my original intentions were to just have a stereo headset to keep my gaming down as to not bother anyone, I've found myself wearing them most of the time just because of how good they sound and the full game emersion. I would say that anyone looking into a low cost headset, or need a replacement for that crappy Microsoft chat mic, I would definitely recommend the Turtle Beach X12. It's not perfect, but for the price and its quality, you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading!

If you would like to leave a comment with any questions you have, feel free. This took me a sometime to reach a decision, so I've learned quite a bit.
on October 31, 2012
For the price, it can't be beat. I wanted an inexpensive headset that allowed me to communicate, but also hear gameplay through the headset. These really exceeded my expectations, and for aabout $30 you can't go wrong with turtle beach! I love my new headset. Id definitely reccomend these.
on April 20, 2013
These are some of the best headsets. The cups fit perfectly on your ears and don't block out all sound. But there's one problem the mic can't really go far enough away from your mouth so that it doesn't pick up your breathing. But if you don't breath really hard then it's not a problem. Otherwise these are perfect!
on November 14, 2014
This was the first headset I had purchased. Before, I had only used the headset/microphone combo that came with the 360. While that one worked okay, it broke, fast.

I had always heard a lot about the Turtle Beach headsets, but had never bothered actually getting them (I thought they were way too expensive). Then the Ear Force XLa came up on my radar for only $30. I bought it, rather warily, but was very happy with my purchase. The sound quality is amazing, and far surpasses that of the stock headset. I never have an issue of my mic not working and I've had this product for almost a year now. The microphone definitely picks up your voice more clearly than the stock sets as well.

The volume controls are right on the headset, which at first was an issue trying to fumble with it when I couldn't see the dials, but you learn where they are quite quickly. And the volume control for both the mic and sound have a good range, so you will be able to hear your quiet friends, and tone down your loud ones.

I enjoy the feature where you can plug the headset into the TV to hear gameplay right in your ears makes you feel more immersed in certain games. The sound seems to be clearer than most TV's that way, and you won't have to worry about waking up roommates. Also, you can still use your microphone when the headset is plugged directly into the TV, as there are two volume controls, one for the mic and one for the game play.

The singular issue I have with this product is all the cords. I understand that they are unavoidable, this being a wired headset (that doesn't need batteries at least), but they can get quite annoying if you don't take care to keep them untangled. However, I will say that the cords are long enough to reach your TV from just about anywhere in your room, which makes this product less restricting than most headsets.

Awesome value for $30. Definite buy if you are a gamer, or just want to chat with your friends on Live.

EDIT: I have had this headset for over a year now, and it still works perfectly. I generally take good care of my electronics, but nothing special. This headset has been dropped numerous times without any discernable effect on its performance.
on November 15, 2015
My family has long been a fan of Turtle Beach products, and when we needed an additional pair of gaming headphones, we instantly turned to Turtle Beach to yet again meet our needs. We have not had any issues in the several years that we have owned these, they are still going strong.

Pro's: Made to go with Xbox 360 so interfacing is a breeze.
Easy to install, as they are a plug and play
Better price than many of the other name brand headphones

Cons: Could be a little more comfortable for younger players, as the set is a bit on the heavy side, but still very manageable.

Please note that these are not noise cancelling headphones.