5.0 out of 5 stars DSS vs. DSS2
Published on January 27, 2012 by Closeyou

Published on June 14, 2012 by justsomeguy01

5.0 out of 5 stars DSS vs. DSS2, January 27, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor - Xbox 360 (Accessory)
I just purchased this sound processor to go with my COD Foxtrot headset (px21). I was waiting for the DSS to go on sale and this was just released and the DSS mysteriously dissapeared. One question I have that concerns me about this device is the original DSS advertises Dolby 5.1/7.1 surround sound and the NEW DSS2 which is $10 less brand new with the added option of adjusting speaker angles with 6 presets, is why did the Dolby 7.1/5.1 disappear? The old one says it all over, this one just says Dolby. I am wondering if it is a lesser quality of surround sound or why would it not mention anywhere on the new one it has 5.1/7.1 surround? I did some research and could not find an answer, but never having the first one I am sure I will be happy with this. Just a few things I was wondering before purchasing and seeing as the old one is nowhere to be found at a reasonable price, made me think something is fishy. I will update once I get some use after it is shipped to me. I hope this helps a little and feel free to comment if you know something I dont. Thanks
**** UPDATE ****
I spoke with several Turtle Beach employees after being transferred to someone who could answer my questions, he assured me this was an improved model over the first and TB decided to go with a different price point and for licensing reasons they may have excluded putting the DOLBY 5.1/7.1 on the DSS2(even though he did not sound like he knew 100%). From what I gathered it sounds like they dont know. I will update actual product usage after I test it out some. Feel free to comment again and thanks for the info. By the way, Amazon is overcharging $10 more for this at $89.99, go to Turtle Beach direct for $79.99

*********BREAKTHROUGH UPDATE!!!!**********
Well, well, well, I figured out the mystery of the DSS vs. DSS 2. The new Dss2 is not dolby 7.1 or 5.1 it is closer to 4.1. Thats right, after massive research and some calls to Turtle Beach(which got me knowwhere); I have discovered why the old one dissappeared and the new one is lacking the labels of 7.1/5.1 Dolby. Ready for it, drum roll please..... The new DSS2 has adjustable speaker angles as an added option because you only get 4 sound outputs, thats right ONLY 4: front right, rear right, front left, and rear left. If you look at the amazon video from a Turtle Beach representative showcasing the original DSS, it has a diagram of the sound outputs, seven in total which some are front right and left, rear right and left as well as a center and behind. I knew something was fishy and if you look at Turtle Beachs website at the new and IMPROVED?, DSS2 it has specifications and its own sound diagram, displaying only 4 sounds, FR, FL, RR, and RL. The big upgrade is the speaker angles which are preset and you will need to adjust just to get sound in front and back. You can see for yourself at TB website and under Amazon as well for the DSS 1. I feel like I solved this case and I hope i saved someone else the headache. Please comment if you have more to add and like before I will update with actual usage.for DSS
******DSS2 USAGE UPDATE******
The DSS2 is packaged nicely, with a TB sticker, manual, and all the necessary wires. For my PS3, I simply plugged in the digital optical cord supplied from the unit to my console and a usb cord as well which is supplied with the DSS2. Plug in your headphone jack and usb cord into the dss2 and you are pretty much ready to go! There is a setting you have to change in your XMB menu, but it is explained in the manual. First thought was, wow more wires, but that was expected. The 6 speaker angle presets are pretty good. The equalizer presets go from horrible sounding to great, depending on your sound preference. The burning question for most I would think is, is it worth it? Well that is up to you, I wanted the best sound possible for a wired headset and for the most part it is an upgrade from stereo headsets, nothing major, it wont help your kill to death ratio go from 1 to 2, but it is a must have for audiophiles and people that want the best sound they can get from their headsets. If you go through TB they have it coming soon packaged with the p11 headset for $119. The manual does mention 5.1 Dolby and for less money than the original DSS, this is a good buy. If you own the original, I would keep it. Thanks for all the comments and I will include future updates after I have had this a month or two.

*****New Headset with DSS2*****

Well, I decided to return my Foxtrot headset, which paired with the DSS2 was great! I jumped on the TB MW3 BRAVO wireless headset when I saw the price dropped to $93. Gamestop sells this headset for $180 and it is just a stereo headset. I love the fact 1) Its wireless(DSS2 plus a wired headset = lots of wires) 2) Unlike most wireless headsets the Bravo has a rechargeable battery with USB(No Batteries!), however this is not a review of headsets but I just wanted to add the DSS2 takes my Bravo Headset to another level! I now have wireless, Dolby surround, and all for around $160 ($93 for BRAVO headset and $73 with shipping for DSS2). If you want to spend $200 plus you can skip the DSS2 and go for a wireless Dolby headset, but for under that I am extremely satisfied with my set now, and I love the speaker angles the more I use them. Please add comments about your DSS2 experiences, I would love to hear other opinions!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing surround sound at a great price!, June 3, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Alright, I'm new to surround sound through headsets. I have surround sound speakers in a family room (a 5.1 setup with a really nice center speaker and good-sized satellite surround speakers) and it sounds fantastic. But sometimes, you don't want your family or neighbors to hear the noise from gaming. I couldn't justify buying $100+ surround sound headsets as I do have to watch my spending (buy way too many games and other stuff). So I started off with the Turtle Beach X12 headset (fantastic, by the way) which was an excellent deal at the time. However, the X12 headset is only stereo. Which is fine and has excellent sound but it's not surround sound. I could only tell left and right and in a crowded gaming situation, you lose track of where objects are in space.

Another reason why I wanted to upgrade to surround sound is I like to record my gameplay with my Hauppauge HD-PVR. If I set the HD-PVR to record 5.1 optical, I couldn't hear audio through my stereo headset which is RCA stereo. So I was forced to play with the full surround sound speakers of my room which is not convenient when you need to be quiet. So I ended up recording my videos in stereo so I could play with the X12 headset. But with the DSS2, I can do my recordings in 5.1 as well as use my X12 in 5.1 with the DSS2.

At the time, the DSS1 was still around but was a bit pricey. I missed out on some sales for it unfortunately. So I waited for it to come down in price again, but before I could get another sale, the DSS1 was quietly removed from the marketplace and replaced with the DSS2. I heard the DSS1 was superior to the DSS2, but it was a moot point as the DSS1 became harder to find and more expensive while the DSS2 dropped in price. So when the DSS2 was on sale for $49.99, I jumped on it.

Now, I'm not going to comment on the DSS1. Whether it's really better or not is not for me to say as I never got to try them out. These comments are purely for the DSS2, and how I use them with my X12. And so far, I am loving the DSS2 with my TB X12 headset. Setup is pretty simple. The hardest part was setting the the cabling to be tidy so that my Xbox 360 could switch back and forth between the headset and the receiver with true surround speakers in the room without having to unplug cables as constant unplugging and replugging is not good for longevity of the cables.

Now, the X12 has a little box that contains the volume, bass boost, and mic controls. It's advised to turn off the bass boost and use the bass boost on the DSS2 as both devices boosting simultaneously can distort the audio. The next thing was figuring out the right volume level for both the X12 volume knob and the DSS2 volume knob. Do you set the X12 knob to the middle and then dial mostly with the DSS2?

On the DSS2, there is a button to turn the Dolby Digital Surround Sound off and on. When it is turned off, the audio is digital stereo. When it is on, it creates a virtual 5.1 setup. I read comments that state 4.1. I don't know about that. All I know is in multiple places in the manual (both in text and pictures), it shows 5.1. And really, all I care about is having a deep, full sound environment and being able to figure out the positions of the bad guys.

There are buttons for surround sound angles and equalizer presets. Unfortunately, there are no dedicated LEDs to indicate which preset or surround sound angle is currently selected. However, the LEDs that are present will blink in sequence and this tells you what preset is selected (you have to look in the instruction manual). So you're going to have to be very attentive if you need to keep track of what presets for which game or presets between different users of the system.

The game I first used to test out the surround sound was Halo Reach as I got recommendations on its excellent sound separation. At first, I couldn't tell much difference, but the more I played, the more I notice how good the sound separation was from before. We were driving in a warthog and as an animal ran behind the warthog, I could tell it was behind. When some NPC was doing a conversation, I rotated my character around and I could tell the NPC was in front or behind me. I even did a blind test and rotated around and checked if I was really telling if it was in front or behind and I was correct.

In a crazy firefight, sounds are coming from all directions so I couldn't always pinpoint where but the sound was fuller than before I had the DSS2. When the combat was more intimate, I could definitely tell where the enemy was.

The next game I played was Left 4 Dead 2 and the DSS/X12 combination was awesome! I could tell where the boomers, spitters, etc. were coming from! You can't hide from me anymore! Stereo helps out a little in identifying where baddies are but nowhere near as well as the surround sound setup!

Some other games I recommend to test surround sound include the Dead Space series, the Bioshock series, Battlefield Bad Company 2, and Modern Warfare 2.

Now, the DSS2 is not perfect. There were a few times I heard some audio crackles/noise. I solved this by moving the USB cord to a different port which led to really clean audio.

Also note that the included optical cable must be the thinnest cable ever made. I swapped it for one of my regular optical cables as someone told me it makes a difference.

For the $50 that I got the DSS2 for, it's amazing and will stay on my 360. It comes completely ready to use as it includes a USB cable and an optical cable. You just plug in your headset and go. This is one of the best budget methods to get a surround sound headset. Around Black Friday, I got the X12's for about $35 and with this $50, I got a darn good setup going. $85 over the course of 8 months versus $100+ upfront is a good deal for a person on a budget. There was some trepidation over the DSS2 due to the negative comments I read, but having tried it myself, I can allay those fears. Sure, the DSS1 may be better (I'll never know) but I'm really enjoying the DSS2 and its sound effects.

And don't forget, the DSS2 is for any stereo headphones/headset so your experience and results may differ depending on the model you have since headphones have different designs. Also, your ears shape and structure differ as well so one person's comments won't necessarily apply to you. You just have to try it for yourself to determine whether it works for you. And luckily for me, it works great! The DSS2 is a fairly good 5 stars with the only complaint being that there are no dedicated LEDs to indicate the chosen preset. If it had dedicated LEDs for presets, it would be a strong 5 stars. This has been one of my best gaming purchases in a long time.

There are some more features of the DSS2 which I haven't really had a chance to try out so I'll update the review appropriately after playing with them. One question I'll briefly cover (but will test out more) is how regular music sounds with the surround settings enabled and so far, the music sounds great.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice gaming enhancement, May 28, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought the DSS2 in a bundle with the XL1, but I'm using the X12 headphones instead.

I've been using the device for over 2 months and I hardly play without them anymore. I had 2 Tritton products before, but I had to send them back because one was not working properly and the other broke after 2 months.

ABOUT THE DEVICE:
The DSS2 is a device which is meant to enhance audio sound by simulating surround sound (multiple speakers) in stereo headphones (2 speakers). There is a video called "Turtle Beach Surround Sound Demo" on Youtube and on the Turtle Beach website that explains how simulated surround sound works.
In case of the DSS2 it really works. One can really approximately tell from which direction sound is being emitted.
Now the DX12 headphones already are very good so the DSS2 is not a dramatic improvement, but still the difference is noticeable.

SETUP:
Setting up the system is quite easy. Most of the things which are needed to set it up are in the box.
The audio is being transmitted from the console to the DSS2 via an optical audio cable (older Xbox 360 models require an adapter for that). There are nice, detailed instructions in the manual to help with the setup.
I had to buy an overpriced Amigo II USB adapter so I can use the microphone of my X12 headset while playing on the PS3.

DSS2 VS. TRUE 5.1 HEADPHONES:
Comparing the DSS2 in combination with a good Turtle Beach headset to the Tritton AX Pro (a true 5.1 headset, it has 4 speakers on each side), the AX Pro has an advantage in finding the direction of a sound, but it has smaller speakers built into the headset offering a weak sound quality.

DSS2 VS. DSS:
The DSS2 has a few nice additional features compared to the older DSS device. You can choose the virtual angle of the surround sound speakers, select an equalizer which improve or worsen the sound quality depending on your headphones. It also has an AUX IN (auxiliary input) which I assume it lets you connect your music player and mixes it with the game's sound to be able to listen to your own songs while playing. Unfortunately I haven't been able to test that feature.
There is also a difference in the audio/surround quality between the DSS and the DSS2. The DSS is being marketed as a 7.1 Dolby Surround Sound Processor featuring Dolby Pro Logic IIx. The DSS2 is only a 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound processor. I took the time to ask the Turtle Beach online support what the mystery is behind this. It turns out that the Dolby Surround decoder chip in the DSS was not made by Turtle Beach, having them pay higher licensing fees. The DSS2 has a Dolby Surround decoder chip made by Turtle Beach.
From my tests I cam to the conclusion that the DSS doesn't sound as clear as the DSS2 and the telling the direction of the sound isn't quite as clear. There is also a slight echo with the DSS that sounds like you are in an empty room. It makes music sound better but during gaming I prefer the DSS2.

CONCLUSION:
In my opinion the initial price was way to high for what the device has to offer. The audio surround improvement can be noticed but it is not a dramatic difference. For players who want to hear surround sound without bothering others this is a great alternative.

Here's a list of games and videos which I have used to test the audio:
WipeOut HD (PS3) Audio Test
Halo DVD (Xbox 360) Surround Sound Test
Crysis 2 (Xbox 360)
Tomb Raider Underworld Teaser (orchestral music)
Ghost Recon Future Soldier Teaser (strong bass)

3.0 out of 5 stars Useful for surround, but sound quality leaves much to be desired, June 14, 2012
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Used this product with a Razer Chimaera 2.0 headset on both a ps3 and a pc. I tried out the games FFXIII and MVC3 to test the quality of the surround, and not much to say except it works. The quality of the surround sound enables you to pinpoint directions if you have a keen enough hearing, where you can pick up specific audio cues from the environment in FFXIII (birds chirping etc.), but surround is still lacking as compared to the CMSS3D virtual surround from my Titanium HD soundcard.

Sound quality to me, is bad for this product where the sound-stage is congested and audio is lacking of clarity. Perhaps this might be due to the Chimaeras I'm using with the product, but I'm more inclined to believe that this is due to the DSS2 using a low quality DAC. I tested audio quality by bypassing my PC soundcard straight to the DSS2 and there is a pronounced difference compared to audio output straight from the card.

But considering that i got this when it cost 49.99, it's a steal when compared to similar products like the Astro Mixamp or Recon 3D. If you're looking for a virtual surround experience on the cheap, the DSS2 is adequate, but if you mind the quality of your audio and you have an open wallet, spend more for a Mixamp or Recon 3D instead.

*DSS2 tested with equalizer setting on 4 (treble boost) and surround position on 2.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whats the problem again?, April 20, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I think people just don't read instructions because it works flawlessly for me have had it for a month or so now with no problems, took a minute to set up, one thing to mention is you have to go to settings on ps3 and turn surround sound on, also changing presets on both headset and the dss2 helps get better angles and sound quality, tweak it until it sounds great, not sure if this justifies an additional $100 since its the same price as upgrade to surround sound headset.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Value for Price, December 30, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased the Turtle Beach DSS2 to give my Call Of Duty: Black Ops II Turtle Beach (Kilo - Wired) headset full digital surround without spending an arm and leg. The package was delivered in less than twenty-four hours for less than ten dollars, was brand new (unopened), and required minimal installation. The set-up was easy, as the DSS2 connected to my Xbox 360 (slim) via USB and Digital Audio, and had my headset connect to the other side of the unit, no adapters required. The headset's USB connection plugs directly into one end of the DSS2, therefore powering the device, and still only requiring one USB slot on your game system (unless you are using a wireless headset, then requiring each to be powered separately). As far as sound quality goes, even my non-techie fiance noticed quite the difference. Playing Black Ops II became an entirely new experience, as I was immersed into the game as I have never been before; enemy footsteps could be heard from all around, the direction in which shots were being fired from could be easily identified, and game audio was truly distinguishable from players chatting using microphones. The angles of sound (Dolby Digital), though not fully 7.1 surround, can be adjusted to your own personal preference by selecting one of six predetermined presets on the device, as well as being able to decide among several bass, middle, and treble boosts. I highly recommend this product to any gamer or audio enthusiast looking for phenomenal sound from your already purchased stereo headset at a reasonable price point. 4.5*/5*

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless..., November 30, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
First off, I received the DSS2 relatively fast, which is always a plus. Installation is completely easy, and the difference this thing does with your sound....... I'm blown away. I still have the Turtle Beach X11's and the DSS2 reminds the first time ever playing with the X11's. I have fallen in love with gaming all over again. I would highly recommend this to anyone who loves to game with great sound. Also, these do everything the XP500 does just without the wireless Bluetooth streaming.

IMPORTANT: If you like to ignore manuals and figure it out for yourself, don't do this with the DSS2. The installation process is easy, but the effects and surround angles can be confusing to follow what preset your on if you just start playing with them. Just a heads up.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice add for a stereo headset, October 6, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I purchased the DSS2 to go along with my Turtle Beach, Call of Duty Foxtrot stereo headset. I play alot of Call of Duty and I noticed that with my Foxtrot headset I could not distinguish what direction I was hearing footsteps and shots from. So I purchased the DSS2 hoping to correct this issue and it has definetly done the job. I am now able to determine in what direction footsteps, shots, etc.. are coming from. I must say, however, that I havn't noticed a huge improvement in overall sound quality but the sound quality was already very good with the Foxtrots. So, if you play COD or any other shooters that knowing the direction of a sound is important then the DSS2 is very nice to have. If you don't play alot of shooter games then you may want to save your money and just get a nice stereo headset like the Foxtrots or soon to be available Kilos. If you don't already have a headset yet and you also want surround sound, it is cheaper to just buy a surround sound headset from the start. Something like the Turtle Beach DPX21.

Now to the DSS2 setup. The DSS2 was very easy to set up. Just plug in the provided optical cable and USB cable. (The optical cable is very thin but it still works fine). Then plug in the headset to the DSS2. Very simple. It is recommended that you control your volume with the DSS2 and not the headset but I do not do it that way. The optical cable and usb cord are too short to reach where I sit so I leave the DSS2 sitting on top of the XBOX. I have the DSS2 set at max volume and I control my game and chat volumes with the headset. I have the DSS2 set on EQ preset 3 (aggressive bass boost) and I turn down the bass boost on the headset. And lastly, I use Surround Sound Angle 3. Honestly, any of the surround sound angles would work but #3 is the one that I decided to use.

In conclusion, I am happy that I purchased the DSS2 even though I think that it is a little overpriced (Which is why it gets 4 stars instead 5). It is a nice addition for anyone who already has a stereo headset and plays alot of COD or other shooters.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome for x12, February 18, 2014
Previously I owned the Turtle Beach p11 however within a few months the left driver went out. even though I own a ps3 I bought the x12 because it seems the headphones for PlayStation 3 are really crappy. the x12 are much better then the p11 headphones however I was bummed because I couldn't chat with my friend over Skype.

this is where the DSS2 comes in, first and foremost the digital optical fiber optic cable is much better than using the composite cables. for call of duty the explosions are much crisper and the footsteps are much easier to hear.

FOR CALL OF DUTY OR SIMILAR FPS:
if you have the x12 or a similar type of headphones I recommend using setting 6 for surround sound angles and using treble boost because the headphones already have the bass boost. If you do not use treble boost than the noise from gunfire and explosions will drown out footsteps and other small important background noises

5.0 out of 5 stars A great game changer, January 19, 2014
If you were like me, and were a little hesitant when thinking about buying this product vs. not getting it or getting the original dss unit you will be glad that you purchased it.

This is a huge game changer, because even if you don't use the different audio effects and when you find the surround angle that works the best for you it really improves your skill on the latest games.

I recommend that if you play call of duty, to make a private match and have your friend run around the map and jump in a specific spot over and over while you change the angles. This allows you to compare the other angles to the one you find best for you and it helps you to get better sound and to know how much it helps.

Cons:

None that I can think of,

Notes:

I recommend a high quality Toslink Optic cable, such as he monster M850 DFO-16 M-Series 850, as it gives you the best quality at the best price. I was able to find a trustworthy seller that had a used cable for $20. I know what you are thinking, I have a fake cable, but I tested it and sure enough it was legitimate.

Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor - Xbox 360
Turtle Beach Ear Force DSS2 Dolby Surround Sound Processor - Xbox 360 by Turtle Beach (Mac OS X, PlayStation 3, Windows 7 / Vista, Xbox 360)
$79.95 $74.54