Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Tuskegee
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(2 star). Show all reviews
on May 11, 2012
I was optimistic based on all of the 5-star reviews here. I've always liked Richie's solo material, for the most part, and it looked like pairing up with some country vocalists might have added something to his songs. It didn't.

What we get here is a whole bunch of remakes as duets rather than solos (except for "Endless Love," of course). I've listened to it twice through, though, and I haven't found a single song that benefits from the remake. I suppose that country fans will like them because of the familiar voices added to them, but if you're not a country music fan who knows these artists well, then you won't find anything new or different here. This is just a way for Richie to make a whole bunch of money off of songs that have run their course in their market--by introducing them to a new market, he creates a new stream of revenue from the country fans now. And while I like a lot of country music, I don't listen to it exclusively, so these new pairings do absolutely nothing for me.

One of the more annoying aspects of the album is that many of the songs are much slower, and it seems that in the minds of the performers, slide guitar = country sound; the slide is way overused and annoying in many places. I'd comment more on specific songs, but absolutely nothing has stood out except the proof that Shania Twain--as much as I like her--isn't anywhere near Diana Ross' league in "Endless Love." All in all, a mediocre album that I won't be listening to much, as I have his greatest hits album, which is much more satisfying.
on January 1, 2015
That's about as creative as this cd gets. Yes, of all the people that could have been chosen to sing that line, Willie Nelson was the one. Other lapses of creativity are the arrangements of the songs. Some of them sound barely different than the originals. For example, on You Are, 1:43 into the song it even starts using the same keyboard sound as the original version. Getting Jimmy Buffet to sing the calypso All Night Long seems fun, but it sounds like rehearsed spontaneity. For example, at one point Lionel Ritchie says to Jimmy Buffet "That was so good can you do that one more time for me?", but though the language sounds impromptu, the delivery sounds like it was practiced and they kept the 20th take. On many songs, Lionel Richie's singing is intentionally off time with the music, and the effect gets tiring. Most of the songs don't sound that bad, but they aren't much of a creative country departure from the originals. For an example of an artist successfully reinterpreting one of his past songs, listen to Robert Plant singing Please Read The Letter, first on his album with Jimmy Page, then on his album with Alison Krauss. Lionel Richie has some great songs and legitimate country roots, but listening to this album only makes me want to listen to the originals.
on December 22, 2013
I bought this CD because we love Lionel Richie we also love the cast whose participate in the record. But this CD didn't put the songs together in my library it only plays one song at a time. There's no way to make it play the whole CD in sequence.
Unless otherwise is very good.
on November 13, 2013
The DVD was the reason I order the Tuskegee thinking it would be the show that CBS show on the year 2012!!!! it tune out to just the recording on the CD so there for i'am not happy. BUT!!! If you have the DVD that was on CBS t.v I will be more then happy to buy it!!!!
on July 20, 2013
I thought the dvd would be from the concert that was held for this album. it was just a behind the scenes showing the different artists performing. I was disapointed
on March 27, 2012
I love Lionel Richie and am also a huge Commodores fan. I also love country music (real country music). I don't have anything against Lionel recording country songs. When I heard about this album, I thought it was going to be new material. And I was disappointed when I found out it was re-hashed, country duets of his old stuff. Sometimes these "duet" albums work and sometimes they don't. And with the exception of a few tunes, these "country-fied" arrangements of his old songs just don't work, well at least for me. I purchased the international version, because I can't stand earring-wearing, no-talent, Jason Aldean. Lionel sings with Rasmus Seebach (a Danish singer) on Say You, Say Me, instead of Jason Aldean. He also sings with Jill Johnson (a Swedish singer) on Sail On. Anyway, the only tracks that I think work here are Stuck on You, Deep River Woman, Lady, Easy and All Night Long with Buffett (which is not really a "country" track but a Buffett-fied arrangement) and Hello with Jennifer Nettles is alright. I think if Lionel wanted to re-record his old music in a more stripped-down arrangement with just piano and/or guitar, that would have been great. But personally, I don't think any of these artists "added" anything to the songs (in most instances, it was quite the contrary for me). Come on, Shania Twain in place of the incomparable Diana Ross? Seriously! And I just didn't care for the typical Nashville Sound that was so over-done adding in steel guitars where they just didn't fit. I would much rather listen to the original Lionel/Commodores versions any time. The originals were just so iconic, that it's a crime ruin such great music.
on May 4, 2012
I love when an artist switches something about their classic hits and goes out on a limb with a duet. Unfortunately I felt that Lionel didn't go far enough with this album. Although I enjoyed the new vocals of the country artists, I thought the arrangements were dated and I thought Lionel had a hard time giving up control of the song. I found myself begging him to be quiet and let the other artist perform. He definately wanted top billing on each song and his annoying dated ooohs and ahhhs left me cringing. I would love to have this album sans lionel richie.
VINE VOICEon March 26, 2012
I have to say I liked the original of every one of these songs and find this attempt to piggy back on a few other famous names both unnecessary and annoying. If he wanted to get back to his roots then he should have either grabbed a guitar or teamed up with a blues guitarist from the region and created some down home music. This isn't it. To make matters worse, Lionel has a very sweet, smooth voice tailor made for harmony with similar voices. Most of the people he is teamed with here have a raspy edge. They are great in their own right but the contrast is annoying.

A good example is "Hello" with Jennifer Nettles. I loved "HER" solo part on the song and hope she does this song on her next CD. Her interpretation was great, but it made me want to tune out the "old" version that he was singing completely. This fact was not lost on the person who mixed this, as he or she turned her vocals way down on softer harmonies. And she does her best to sing to the sedate beat, but it is just not her style. They sound a few sustained notes with gusto but during the rest of the song the mismatched styles clash miserably. This basic problem is repeated in a slightly different manner with every song.
on May 21, 2015
I didn't like the CD at all! The artist voices didn't blend that well and some people, no matter how great their voice is can't harmonize with each other!
on March 8, 2015