5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Ancient Egypt study
I am a Classical Homeschooling mom and this was a great explaination of how King Tut's mummy was discovered and why they mummified their dead. The pictures were wonderfully displayed and the illustrations were very helpful. It read like a story which kept my seven-year-old daughter's interest but taught her a great deal.
Published on September 24, 2000 by Michelle M. Cloud

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as engaging as the author's other books
Published on September 29, 2007 by Eileen Palsson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Ancient Egypt study, September 24, 2000
This review is from: Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found (Step into Reading) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden Treasure - Secret Tombs - a Mummy!, August 31, 2001
Great little book, perfect for the early reader. My then-first grader loved this story of the death and burial of an ancient Pharaoh and his subsequent discovery in the 20th Century by Lord Carrington. Chock full of photos and beautiful, almost impressionistic illustrations. Large print, easy to read.

Tut's Mummy proved to be a valuable part of our Egyptian study. Oh... My daughter's older siblings (then in the fifth and sixth grades) liked the book too!

This book was a recommended resource in The Greenleaf Guide to Ancient Egypt (Greenleaf Guides).

5.0 out of 5 stars A great introduction to King Tut and mummies, August 21, 2000
Like other "Step" books, this book is a smooth and interesting segue into historical figures and events. Of all of the Step books in my 2nd grade classroom library, this is one of my favorites. It is well-written and keeps childrens' attention as it talks about customs and religious practices that one can only imagine. It guides the reader from Tut's short reign and death to the discovery of his tomb in the early 1900's. A great and interesting read!

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I thought, March 7, 2011
I'm a super-picky homeschooler so I really have a love/hate relationship with ancient Egypt resources. I debated for awhile before buying this book because I have been really disenchanted with most of the books out there on Tut and mummies. But because so many curriculums include it, and it was so cheap, I went for it. It's worth the purchase.

The book is the story of Tut's tomb being discovered by Howard Carter. My third grader really enjoyed this story, even though it was below his grade level. While I wasn't thrilled with the acknowledgement of "the mummy's curse," the author handled it in a way that made it seem dumb as opposed to legitimate, so I appreciated that. It also didn't show any illustrations of Tut's decayed corpse, which many children's books seem to love including. So I appreciated that too. Actually, I compared the most recent version of this book to the old version, and I liked the pictures of the old one better.

As non-fiction goes, the text is suspenseful and interesting. And it provides a necessary part of the Tut story in an easy to handle way.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not as engaging as the author's other books, September 29, 2007
Eileen Palsson (Sollentuna Sweden) - See all my reviews
My 7-year-old read this (with a little help). I thought it was appropriate for the target age level. This book contains both photographs and illustrations, and we enjoyed the photographs more, because they gave a much-needed sense of reality to the story. We also appreciated that the book explained how to pronounce the hard words like Tutankhamen "(too-tonk-AH-men)". And as a parent it was nice to see it pointed out that Howard Carter's stubborn search for Tut's tomb paid off in the end.

Still, we did not find this book as interesting as other books by Judy Donnelly (such as "Moonwalk" and "The Titanic"). It could be a matter of our particular interests, but after being blown away by those other two books of hers, this one kind of fell flat.

If your child is already interested in the subject matter (Tut's tomb, mummies in general, and the beliefs of ancient Egyptians), then this may be a really good book to get. If not, then I don't think "Tut's Mummy" is going to awaken that interest.

4.0 out of 5 stars tut's mummy, May 25, 2001
Heather Staats (Taylor, Mi United States) - See all my reviews
this is a good book for someone around the age of 5 to 7. the book is in really easy to read and in large print. there are 48 pages and it was done in 1988. i think the illustrations could have been a little better. but if you have young kids they might want to read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars King Tut!, September 7, 2001
By A Customer
My 5 and 7 year olds LOVED this book! They could not get over the fact that this was a true story and there really is treasure out there to find. They even took it to the neighbor's house and read it to him! That says it all.

4.0 out of 5 stars Inject joy of the discovery of the ancient world into a kid, April 24, 2006
My kids love this book. It's engaging, fast moving (especially great considering how thorough it is), and has nice photos. After reading this book my 6 year old daughter is excited to grow up and find King Tut's father's tomb.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book about ancient Egypt, rather sparse on Tut himself, January 13, 2010
This book begins with King Tut's death, explaining the burial customs and religious beliefs of the ancient Egyptians, and then jumps ahead thousands of years to how his tomb was rediscovered. The text is interesting, and there are photographs and other illustrations that help bring the text to life. Children will learn plenty about mummies and Ancient Egypt. However, this book had very little about King Tut himself; we learn only that he was 18 when he died and had a wife. Nothing about how long he ruled, how he died, etc. Overall, it is a good book on ancient Egypt, just be aware that not much is taught about King Tut himself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent intro to the discovery of Tut's mummy, July 6, 2011
I am a great history buff and was looking for age-appropriate books on the subject for my six-year-old. She loved reading this book, and was able to handle some of the complex vocabulary with some help from me (such as "archaeologist" and the pronunciation of "Tutankhamen"). The appeal of this reader lies mainly in the way the information is condensed to suit the needs of young readers - informative, yet not overly descriptive nor steeped in jargon. Also, the illustrations on each page motivate young readers, especially visual learners like my daughter.

There is an abundance of photographs in this book, covering the artifacts in Tut's tomb, as well as photographs of historical places like the Valley of the Kings, and important figures such as Howard Carter and Lord Carnarvon. There are also many illustrations that bring to life the story of ancient Egypt as well as latter day excavation efforts. I ordered several other readers in this series, both Step 4 and 5 titles, and hope that my daughter enjoys reading them all! P.S. The Step 4 readers are described as "reading paragraphs, containing challenging vocabulary, short paragraphs, exciting fiction and non-fiction, and recommended for Grades 2-3", though children who are younger and are at an advanced reading level will find these books interesting and suitably challenging as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found (Step into Reading)
Tut's Mummy: Lost...and Found (Step into Reading) by Judy Donnelly (Paperback - May 12, 1988)
$3.99