‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars magical, October 16, 2006
This review is from: 'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Or Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas (Hardcover)
My mother used to read me this poem every christmas eve which became a magical tradition. The book was misplaced in a move and my mother and i have not read it since I was young. So I ordered this version for her christmas this year and when it arrived I was more than pleased. The book is stunning in more ways than one, and the artwork really shows how magical and heartwarming the story is. I shall give it to my mother on christmas eve and I know she will treasure it.. as will my kids and there kids after them. This book without a doubt will become an heirloom. Wether you are looking for a new copy or buying twas the night before christmas for the first time, I highly recommend this version. Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantabulous!, January 31, 2010
This is a fantastic and true re-publication of a classic favorite. The illustrations are great (though I wish they were in color), and the type-font and whole format were designed to make this a timeless heirloom, to be passed down the generations. I also learned the correct names of two of the eight reindeer were "Dunder" (not "Donner") and "Blixem" (not "Blitzen"). It shows that Candlewick Press took pains to make sure that what they were republishing was true and accurate to Clement Clark Moore's original work. Note that the name of the illustrator (Matt Tavares) is prominently acknowledged on the cover, though Moore's name is only mentioned in "A Note from the Illustrator", probably owing to the fact that Moore first published his poem anonymously. Still, I'm surprised that "they" did not include Moore's name on the cover. If you are looking to acquire a good, faithful, accurate and wonderfully illustrated version of this classic for your shelves, to be pulled at Christmas-time for reading and re-reading, this would be as good a copy (or perhaps better) than any.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations, December 18, 2007
It's so hard to explain just how beautiful the illustrations in this book are. My son learned the entire poem the first year we read it when he was 3 1/2 and it is a book he looks forward to getting out every year. There are other great illustrators who have done Twas the Night Before Christmas, but there is something so special about these dot illustrations that I'm so grateful we happened upon THIS book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Treat your kids to real art and language, November 19, 2007
This book has nice black and white illustrations, and "old English" spellings. The cover is a subtle forest green, wine red binding and some gold.

What a contrast from the brightly-colored character-loaded images from other books and videos that fill our children's lives.

Children love colors, but wouldn't it be good to expose them to different things once in while?

5.0 out of 5 stars Super illustrations!, October 18, 2009
Nikki (sacramento,ca) - See all my reviews
This is a beautifully illustated book of a favorite Christmas classic.
I love the simplicity~ a wonderful book for all ages!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding! Heirloom Quality Book, March 13, 2007
I purchased this book for my family for Christmas. I found it absolutely beautiful! There is a short introduction in the beginning that tells the history of the poem. The drawings are exquisite and the binding is simply elegant. I love everything about this book! I intend to keep it in our family and pass it down for generations!

5.0 out of 5 stars Impressive, August 26, 2011
I have not yet received my order, but just by the two illustrations that I have seen in this ad, I would like to say that - As an artist, I am VERY impressed by the pencil drawings in this book by Matt Tavares. I was looking for a SPECIAL 'Night Before Christmas' book to give to my sons so that they could continue the tradition that we had of reading the book every Christmas Eve to them. Now they will have their own book to read to their children, to continue our tradition. One that is unique and timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Classic, February 17, 2014
Bought this a Christmas present for a couple of families with children. They read it on Christmas Eve with the kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality version of a timeless classic, January 27, 2014
The pencil drawings throughout the book are extremely well done, this will be a book that my family will read for years. There are other versions we could have gone with, but many were more "animated" and cartoon-like than I would have preferred. Mr. Tavares did some great work on this, and actually stayed close to the original poem. If you're on the fence about this book like I was for a few minutes, I feel it was money well spent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Fashioned Classic, January 10, 2014
Sent this to my daughter for my grandson. She loved the black and white illustrations and thought the book was really wonderful in an old fashioned way. A true classic that will become a Christmas Eve tradition for their family.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›
ARRAY(0xa9f9a6f0)

'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Or Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas
'Twas the Night Before Christmas: Or Account of a Visit from St. Nicholas by Matt Tavares (Hardcover - September 12, 2006)
$8.99 $7.67