Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Twas The Night Before Christmas: Edited By Santa Claus for the Benefit of Children of the 21st Century
Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2004
I purchased the hardcover edition for my 2 year old daughter. The Illustrations are absoulutely beautiful. The only problem I have with it is that it is not the original poem by Moore. It has been censored, yes, censored. The 2 lines "The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth, And the smoke it encircled his head like a wreath." have been removed! I understand that smoking is no longer a "PC" thing in this day and age, but when you are purchasing a classic poem, one you remember from your childhood, you expect to get the actual poem. I was disappointed that this fact had not been noted in the product description. I guess it's a little 1984ish to me, to start censoring a book and not inform the consumer.
1010 comments|255 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 12, 2012
This is an edited version of an old favorite and is illustrated, by Elena Almazova and Vitaly Shvarov. The subtitle, which is difficult to read in the picture provided, says "edited by Santa Claus for the benefit of children of the 21st century". The illustrators took the liberty to edit out the lines about Santa's pipe so they would not be promoting smoking. The ironic thing--there's tons of candy included--what about obesity? There is a roaring fire in the fireplace and all the candles in the house are still lit long after the family is in bed--what about fire hazards? There are wine glasses in a china cabinet--what about alcohol abuse? And on top of this, mom has cleavage.

I know these are picky points and the pictures are cute with a Disney-esque style, but there are hundreds of versions of this wonderful, classic poem. Don't waste your purchase on this one. Even if it is free.
1313 comments|178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 14, 2012
This is for the version illustrated by Elena Almazova and Vitaly Shvarov

When I saw this book for free today I was so excited. When I saw the quality of Illustrations I squealed. This is one of my favorite Christmas Stories, and my High School Choir would sing it. Then I realized that it had been cut.

Stabbed by the censorship police. I do not proscribe to the thought that ideas that are no longer acceptable or are becoming unacceptable should be ripped from the bookshelves. If I did, I wouldn't own any Mark Twain, or some Agatha Christie. The authors of their times wrote with the ethos of their time, whether it has changed or not does not matter. They took their inspiration and put it to pen. We should respect that and their talent. A Santa Claus with a pipe will not cause millions of children to run out and take up the bowl.

So while I praise the artistry which I found amazing. In fact a couple of the pictures I thought I could just walk into. I cannot approve of censorship in any form.
2323 comments|170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 20, 2002
"The Night Before Christmas," is Mr. Sabuda's pop-up version of Clement Clarke Moore's classic tale of Santa's visit on Christmas Eve. The phrasing has been altered; still the story is the same, except mice play the human roles. It is a delightful rendition that will appeal to both the young and old alike.
Different from any other pop-up book I've seen, the backgrounds in Mr. Sabuda's books are generally solid in nature with white pop-up's that are often accented with color. This makes a wonderful contrast of positive and negative space that is unusual, and unexpected yet, striking. In this book, the artist has added more color to the pop-ups than in his earlier holiday works. Creatively conceived, the detailed execution of the pop-ups is what REALLY captures the viewer's attention, and carries this book. They are SO fantastic I have to continually remind myself it is only paper. For instance, when Santa calls out to the reindeer, "No, Dasher! Now, Dancer! Now, Prancer and Vixen! . . ." all eight reindeer literally fly off the page in sleigh formation with Santa trailing behind. It's brilliant! In addition, the finale is gorgeous! It is nearly an all-white scene with Santa in his sleigh, bidding adieu to a quaint little neighborhood down below. The backdrop displays a snow-capped mountain with a pull-tab that allows the viewer to draw Santa and his reindeer across the sky, "Happy Christmas to all, and to all a goodnight."
"The Night Before Christmas," is a hardbound book that measures 8 ¼" x 8 ¼" x 1 ½". Highly imaginative, both conceptually and artistically this book will make a valued addition to any Christmas collection. CAREFUL, young one's will be mesmerized by the pop-up action, and will want to grab. Probably best for children four-years and up.
0Comment|112 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2007
I collect Night Before Christmas books. I found this one a few days ago at a children's store. It is so incredibly beautiful. It has silhouettes, cut-outs, and ends with an insanely beautiful pop-up. I love kids but this is not a book for children -- it is a masterpiece - a work of art -- read it to your kids but then save it for yourself!
44 comments|67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 16, 2012
This book has an extended title stating that it is "edited" by Santa for the 21 Century. I read the book first and did realize that there was a big difference. LINES WERE CUT OUT!

I am all about books, that's why I got a Kindle; however, I am not about change. The lines in question, to the true editors of this edition, may seem to put Santa in poor light. Come on people this poem has been around for years, it was written in 1822; and besides Santa can never be seen in bad light, he's Santa!

While the illustrations for this book are nice, if not small on an e-reader screen, I simply cannot read it so incomplete. I would recommend an older version or search for the original; which is in the Kindle bookstore for free as well.
on March 6, 2010
My son is five and already an authority on Santa. We looked inside many books on The Night Before Christmas and he simply did not get into the pictures. Then we found this version illustrated by an artist who must have Santa in his heart. My son loves the full-page images of Santa and all the smaller images he calls "picture windows". He enjoys telling the story in his own words as he looks at each picture. I love the way the illustrations focus on evoking key sensations that add to the heart of the story. Thank you Mr. Tom Browning. You have made this story a treasure far beyond the words!
66 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 2, 2002
Gorgeous...that is the best word to describe this book.
Christian Birmingham's illustrations create the pictures of the story that we all have in our heads...but alas, cannot paint ourselves.
11 comment|64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 11, 2003
Couldn't recommend this edition highly enough. The illustrations are beautiful and bring the magic of Christmas to life for both young and old. It truly is an heirloom edition made all the more special by the brass christmas stocking bookmark.
on September 15, 2002
A got started on collecting pop-up books when I encountered a book by Robert Sabuda called "Twelve days of Christmas". It was an astounding book, quite unusual in that it was mostly white. The engineering was amazing. That book led me to buy and collect pop books of which Robert Sabuda's books occupy a high place indeed. His work stands out due to its complexity and yet has the ability to surprise and delight. Each popup in this book is nigh near what is impossible to do out of paper and yet he has done it. The last scene with the little village spread out in a snowy wonderland is a treasure. I will have to buy an another book, just so I can put one away and have one to look at admire and play.