5.0 out of 5 stars Just being contrary...
I actually don't care about this book, haven't read it (in its current printed format), and don't plan to. I just feel like being contrary. I would now like to quote from the Twitter usage terms:

"You agree that this license includes the right for Twitter to make such Content available to other companies, organizations or individuals who partner with Twitter...
Published on April 7, 2010 by B. Herron

1.0 out of 5 stars My stolen "tweets" are hardly "nothing"
[Note: This book's unauthorized commercial use of my Twitter posts is the basis for this review]

As others reviewers have mentioned, this book is primarily a compendium of Twitter posts that were written by people who are not the author. I am one of those people.

Published on April 10, 2010 by Merlin D. Mann

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

1.0 out of 5 stars My stolen "tweets" are hardly "nothing", April 10, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)

While I'm thrilled that *anyone* enjoys *any* of the 4,000 items I've written and posted for the entertainment of the 67,000 people who are deranged enough to follow me on Twitter, I'm disappointed that the author, editor, and publisher of this title never bothered to seek any kind of permission before publishing and selling my stuff. And, from what I can gather, I'm neither the only person who got nicked, nor the only person who absolutely does not consider it some big-hearted honor.

Ephemeral as this material might seem to anyone who didn't write it--whether to the publisher who essentially stole it, or to the readers who share my grave distaste for the glut of similar shovelbooks--it's simply not cricket to compile and sell a _collection of anything_ other people have made without asking permission, negotiating a license, and paying a mutually agreeable fee to the creator. Period.

Everybody's stuff--even the so-called "nothings"--are still THEIR stuff. And, any decision about how that stuff gets used--especially commercially--is solely THEIR decision. That's not negotiable. And, I'm pointing enthusiastically at several hundred years' worth of post-Magna Carta law on this matter to back me up here.

On the other hand, as anyone who knows me will tell you, I'm a tireless defender of both fair use and liberal licensing, as well as a vocal critic of IP-obsessed artists and corporations. But, at least in my opinion, there's a huge difference between what *I* choose to give away versus what other people unilaterally elect to take from me to _sell_. If you think that's a distinction without a difference, imagine a "charity" based on pick-pocketing, or a fast-food chain that incorporates around the model of reselling all the hamburgers and corn on the cob they can manage to steal from your backyard grill.

Any ethical adult who thinks something is valuable enough to sell necessarily understands that it's also valuable enough to buy. So, in my own case, all those "free" online writings, videos, and podcasts I've "given away" have apparently been valuable enough to _someone_ to form the basis for a comfortable livelihood. I'm insanely grateful for that. Still. That doesn't mean a bowl of Jolly Ranchers I leave by the door can be scooped into a trash bag and sold at the flea market--simply because someone has a spare trash bag and the bonehead desire to make a fast buck.

Silly as it may seem to object to someone distributing material that many people consider trivial at best, I think it's important to the health of ALL free content to point out when somebody's deliberately abusing a medium's openness for selfish reasons. That appears to be precisely what's happening between this book's oddly-pigmented covers.

So, while I'm loathe to contribute to this depressing trend of joining a mob to tar a product with a surfeit of one-star "FAIL!" reviews, I'm also way WAY more concerned about the unchecked growth of the carpetbaggers and charlatans who refuse to acknowledge the entirely real distinction between "free to use non-commercially" and "free to sell en masse via unlicensed 'copy-and-paste.'" That's just cheesy.

Finally, I'll just mention that, like many of this title's unwitting contributors, I recently received a (form) letter from its--what?--literary "fence," I guess. They expressed "regret" that they had not sought my permission before publishing my posts.

That's a theoretically lovely sentiment. But, as I've implied elsewhere (Google: "regret toots book license"), an apology from a burglar only becomes meaningful when he's returned all your stuff, repaired the window he broke, and promised he'll never rob nice people again.

Me? My window's still broken, my stuff is still stolen and still up for sale, and that ridiculous, xeroxed "apology" I received still seems precisely as credible and clueful as the original decision to deliberately rip off so many talented and entertaining people--140 "nothing" characters at a time.

Not "sweet." Not at all.

1.0 out of 5 stars I also ate a sandwich., April 6, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
I didn't buy this book but I DID steal it. It was sitting near the check-out at my local bookseller and I said to myself "hey self, maybe nobody will notice it you grab this and call it your own". I crammed it down my pants and walked right out. I should specify that I shoved it down the BACK of my pants because this isn't the kind of book I'd want hanging around my wiener.

So I brought it home and used it to weigh down some papers but then I recycled the papers and had no use for the book at all. The uselessness of the book haunted me for minutes on end until it struck me - I can give it to people I hate as a Christmas gift! The problem is that I hate a TON of people and only had one book. Inspiration struck once again and I headed for my local Kinko's. I also ate a sandwich.

I made a total of 436 copies of the entire book and had them nicely collated and saddle-stitched together. I then set a small "distraction fire" near the fax machines and walked out without paying. Why pay for something or even ask to use it when you can get away with stealing it? I'm still in the process of sending these photocopies out to everyone who's ever wronged me but it's totally worth it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Lame, April 5, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
So, the authors took the words of other people and made a book out of it. They didn't ask permission or let people know their tweets were going to be in a book. That's pretty lame. Not to mention kind of unethical. And lazy. Did I mention lame?

1.0 out of 5 stars "I own it", April 7, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
To write a review of this book, Amazon.com made me check a box declaring that "I own it." I do, in fact, own it - but not the book. Well, not the entire book. I only own the part of it that consists of my writing, which I did not release the "author" to use. And I take that to warrant my claim of ownership on the Amazon review page.

If that sounds specious, imagine how copyright clearance must have been conducted for this thing. Maybe there was a checkbox: "I have been given permission to publish these tweets in my book." YES|NO.

But I digress. On to my review:

As another reviewer noted, the book is ridiculously small! I just can't bring myself to pay for it. Nothing this small should cost money. I'm sure the author agrees - after all, the tweets that comprise its content are pretty small, too, and she couldn't deign to ask permission (or pay) to use them. And in its weirdly charming way, that's what's so great about this book. The author clearly, tacitly condones stealing the book itself.

The fact of the book's existence is the sound of Ms. Schwalb pleading with the prospective reader/buyer:

"OF COURSE you can steal the book. Don't be ridiculous. Help yourself. Seriously, just take it. Take it and go. God knows it's what I would do."

1.0 out of 5 stars Tweet Thief, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
This book is largely composed of tweets used without the permission of their original writers. It's nothing more than theft. If you're looking for a book of compiled tweets that doesn't feature stolen material, why not try Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less by Nick Douglas instead , as he took the time to ask the original writers of their work whether they actually wanted to be in it.
Don't support the theft of funny writing. Don't buy this book.

1.0 out of 5 stars The perfect gift for the aspiring plagiarist in your life., April 6, 2010
Terry S. (Bowling Green, OH) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
I briefly considered purchasing this collection of witticisms, and then remembered the old adage, "Why buy the cow when the milk was stolen from other cows without the other farmers' consent and then injected into the bloated and not all that worthwhile cow and end up giving your hard-earned money to a thief?" You know the phrase.

Anyway, I decided against buying a book composed of pilfered material. I would no sooner do such a thing than listen to Carlos Mencia's stolen standup act. I'm honestly not sure which sounds less appealing, and that's really saying something.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ultimately, this is a tale of woe., April 6, 2010
Ross Floate (Melbourne, Victoria Australia) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
First of all, the dimensions of this book are foolishly small. Second, the paper is scratchy and it is only single ply.

You might think that this is not important. You would be wrong.

You see, it is only these factors that stop me buying this book for the sole purpose of wiping my butt with its pages.

1.0 out of 5 stars Great for people who like Dane Cook albums, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
I don't think I've seen a book this blatantly full of stolen material since, well, ever. Anyway, it's not even good for beating people. The spine is far too spindly.

1.0 out of 5 stars And then I realised ..., April 7, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
]I was tempted to pay out good money for this weighty and ponderous tome, to then entrust its delivery to me via two postal systems. It was this conundrum that got me wondering. Would there be some to purloin the content of this work of time and effort?

Surely there must be some medium through which the work of inventive minds could be stolen.

Then it hit me. No need for such subterfuge for had I not spent numerous hours over more than a year reading works of such similarity that they could have come from this book BEFORE they even got in to the book.

WOW, to read advance copy. And not even have to cosy up to a publisher.

Or a writer.

And certainly not a tweet thief.

For shame.

If you fancy some humourous Twitter posts, try Twitter Wit by Nick Douglas, where the content from other Twitter authors had been agreed in advance [[ASIN:0061897272 Twitter Wit: Brilliance in 140 Characters or Less]

1.0 out of 5 stars Defamation Of Character, April 7, 2010
This review is from: Tweet Nothings (Hardcover)
Unless the author can prove I wrote those tweets, I assert that it is inflammatory nonsense that seems to be written by an insane criminal mind. Do not read this book! Most of my tweets were designed to make you question your faith, leave your spouse, or set your place of work on fire over a stapler. I have a disclaimer. This book does not provide you with the safety of that disclaimer and you could be seriously injured or worse! Don't trust your feeble mind with the author of these stolen tweets! Clearly the terrorists want you to buy this book, so America will be destroyed and the Cake will flow!

THE CAKE MUST FLOW!

My lawyers will be contacting your bank account.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Tweet Nothings
Tweet Nothings by Peter Pauper Press (Hardcover - December 1, 2009)
Used & New from: $7.98