5.0 out of 5 stars Tweets From Tahrir, May 10, 2011
Wow! You want to know what the Egyptian Revolution was all about - read this book. You want to know what Twitter can do when it's used properly - read this book. You just want a great story of courage and drama and tears - read this book. All my friends are going to get this for their birthday, whether they like it or not...

5.0 out of 5 stars I was cynical but....., May 10, 2011
..this is actually superb stuff. Both a fascinating way of tracking the events and also very engaging on a human level as you become familiar with the cast of "tweeters". Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars amazing insight into real life drama!-, June 1, 2011
This review is from: Tweets from Tahrir (Kindle Edition)
I went from having a passing interest in how this momentus event took place to feeling like I was on the inside of a real human drama. It has to catch on as a way of giving real life events a narrative. It drew me in and gave me a whole new perpective on this part of the world. A brilliant book and one of kind!

4.0 out of 5 stars Whats going on in Egypt made easy...., May 13, 2011
This is pretty good and very cutting edge....I loved the back to front idea of using Twitter comments and making them into an informative book.... It works...and makes for an easy but informative read....perfect for on my way to work because it meant that I could read bits, break off and then come back to it.

After everything in the news and on tv about whats happening in Egypt and the Arab World I wanted to know more. After seeing this book online I felt that it would be written in a way I could relate to and also not be to heavy going. So I gave it a shot....and I'm glad I did! The book gave me an amazing insight in to the kind of people tied up in the events in Egypt, there's a lot of personal stuff in here and I feel like I now understand the individuals and there lives better. These events are happening to real people and it is so easy to feel detached from them...almost like it's another world...but it helped me to remember that it's really not that far from home and that this is effecting people just like you and I.

... Overall it's a cool book..so if like me you feel a bit daunted and overwhelmed by the politics of these important events or you just want a more personal insight into whats really going on ...then this is the book for you, I learnt a lot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Carlton Banks, May 10, 2011
This is a noble effort at humanising and modernising the study of contemporary world events and keeping them out of the grubby mitts of commentators keen on carving out a ill-fitting, wider political narrative. There are no grandiose 'Finland Station' moments for ideological posterity or tradition - just the stories of individual activists over a series of days, expressing the defiance, fear and hope that captivated people around the world and made the Egyptian Revolution the compelling story that it was.

It is possible that this book reflects a significant breakthrough in the recording of history. It puts out a concise, clinical assessment of the events as they unfolded and explains the political and ideological context of the protests. What the book does most impressively, however, is harness the modern phenomenon of social networking as a primary historical source, giving people outside of Egyptian politics a refreshingly human insight into the emotions, ideals and struggles of the protestors. Through explaining the effect of misinformation in Egypt, as much as anything, it shows how revolutions are fought in the modern age as a battle of communication.

A engrossing and hugely informative read. The only downside was the use of US English, but I can live with that - corporate globalisation and all ...

5.0 out of 5 stars Captivating stuff, May 10, 2011
I caught word of this little book on facebook and it's since been cited on The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, and on The Colbert Report.

I was a little sceptical about reading a whole book based on disparate tweets, but from the start I was hooked. You can't get closer to the ground than this. The tweets depict the tension and nerves felt leading up to the demonstrations, and also the pride that people felt after achieving such huge results each day. The very existence of these messages and photos shows the efforts that people were going to every day - to make sure the word got out - despite the attempts of the government to cut the people off from the technology that would achieve that.

There's themes of joy, freedom and empowerment, as well as sadness, frustration, and occasional anger - involving a multitude of diverse characters, who collectively lead the reader perfectly through these amazing events.

A thoroughly captivating little book indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars The people have tweeted..., May 10, 2011
This is a fantastic, innovative book which captures the zeitgeist of the Arab Spring. It provides an alternative perspective to the familiar histories of Egypt and its political parties, as well as providing a mass of evidence to substantiate, and in places question, much of the current discussion surrounding the role of social media in these protests.

I really enjoyed reading this book, as it gave some kind of feeling of what it would have been like to live through the occupation of Tahrir Square, and the reader watches the downfall of Mubarak in slow motion and vivid detail alongside the tweeting protestors. Anyone interested in the events of the last few months in North Africa and the Middle East should buy this book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gripping, exciting, moving, May 4, 2011
This is not the subject matter I usually like to read. I don't choose to read books about world politics and, not being on Twitter, I find tweets difficult to fathom. This book was recommended, though, so I thought I would give it a go. I couldn't put it down!
This is not just a collection of random tweets. They have been skilfully put together to tell the story of the first 18 days of the Egyptian revolution. I felt that I got to know these young people who have recorded history as it happened. At the beginning of each chapter, one for each day, there is a short, easy to understand summary of that day's events, putting the tweets into context.
This book is a very good read - exciting in some places and moving in others and definitely very much better than you would expect. Anyone reading it will be very glad that they did.

5.0 out of 5 stars Made the situation there real for me., April 25, 2011
This review is from: Tweets from Tahrir (Kindle Edition)
Like Victor Pelevin's "The Helmet of Horror" except this is real life! I'm reminded of R. Buckminster Fuller's opinion that technology will allow everyone to have a high quality of life.

5.0 out of 5 stars I have never tweeted in my life but THIS BOOK IS AMAZING. Everyone should read, May 17, 2011
Not being a twitter fan, I thought at first this book wasnt for me.
BUT WOW how wrong I was - it was so much better than I ever could have imagined.
Real time, live updates about what really happened in Tahir Square from the people who were part of it. Educational and history in the making. Good commentry throughout.

Tweets from Tahrir