Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% Father's Day Gifts Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis X-men Apocalypse GNO Outdoor Recreation Learn more

• Tweez

Format: Audio CD|Change

on February 23, 2005
I don't know, this album always seemed like a group of extremely talented musicians fresh from Hardcore University trying to work out what to do, left in a studio for a week with Steve Albini eating a sandwich next to the microphones. The first song manages the clever trick of sounding like absolutely nothing else you've ever heard, and at the time I first heard it I was caught between laughing and turning it off. The song starts with one of the band complaining about his headphones not working before being swept away by the music, and culminates not long after with what sounds like someone smacking hell out of a radiator with an industrial spring, joyously shouting 'Oh man!'.

I guess that for a one word review you can interchange 'playful' and 'perplexing', as the band sweeps between styles without worrying too much about choruses, structure, or sense. About half of it is very heavily flanged jazz guitar, which I found (by half way through side two) did my head in, just complexity for the sake of it. They then jump straight into two minutes of death metal, only, y'know, good. Weirdly, even then Slint managed to worm something into your head, even if you're not paying attention. I haven't listened to this album in years (although I'm already thinking I should) and yet I can still remember the garbled words '...that's where the river bends, that's where the silo stands, that's where they paint their houses...'. Slint in a nutshell...you always have the profound feeling, even in their most throwaway moments, that something really bad is about to happen.

Despite that, what I was left with from this album was an infectious sense of fun (albeit with something really bad about to happen). Even if I didn't get with all of the music. Like some bands that came after them, the worst offender being Shellac, occasionally the joke's so studied you wonder if it's on you.

The closer 'Rhoda' is the most interesting song, I have absolutely no idea how they make the sounds they do. A longer version was later included on the split single which, if you're reading this review, I imagine you already know about. Fantastically original, striking music, bordering on the symphonic.

If you buy one Slint album, buy Spiderland, but this album is worth your money if you have an open mind and are prepared to smile along. Maybe the best thing is not to give it your full attention. And then five years later you'll be thinking to yourself, 'my god, I still know the lyrics'. And start looking over your shoulder.
on November 9, 2003
A lot say that this album is better than spiderland, and they could be right. I myself am not sure that such a distinction could be made, the two albums seem to different from each other in approach to really be compared. It is not as if I listen to Tweez and say to myself; `well they were on to something, but they really perfected in Spiderland'.
Tzeez seems to be the product of anxious brilliant minds, it sweeps in and out of different styles and approaches to subject to the point that it might seem disjointed in a way that Spiderland isn't. Tweeze feels contrived (I mean that in the most positive way) where Spiderland feels organic and intuitive. Where as Tweez is a cerebral album, you will feel it your mind, it will other path of meditation for the active listener and then provide `blocks' to the meditation that will confound the passive listeners. It will switch `modes' or deliver musical abstracts that are complex and intelligent. It will slip between careful parody and complete seriousness. I did not know what to make of this album the first time i heard it, where as my connection with Spiderland was instantiations. But this is not album where the band are are searching for the mode that is Spiderland, Slint were simply in a different place, thinking in a different way.
Tweez, is in my personal opinion, one the greatest pieces of music ever created.
on June 23, 2002
independent band. Tweez is an otherworldly experience. It sounds like nothing you've really heard before. Jazzy, clanking white noise, god only knows what some of the bangings and janglings on this album really are. At one point, it sounds like someone tips over a china shelf. This band actually sounds like their name. Very slinty. All the songs are named after their parents, and one bandmember's dog as well. Produced by Steve Albini, whose influence via Big Black is obvious. In the first song, you can hear one of the band members complaining about their headphones to him. It always cracks me up when I listen to it, such a weird way to start an album...as he resigns himself to his broken headphones, the band suddenly pounds into action, letting you know to buckle up. Musicianship is amazing- especially when you consider how young these kids were. This is the superior record of their three.
on January 13, 2004
I don't think it is really accurate to say that Spiderland is a *better* album than Tweez. They are just completely different. I agree with the other review that you hear a lot of Big Black influence on Tweez. Not so much on Spiderland. Spiderland's production is tighter than Tweez, yes. And the lyrics are stories, not anecdotes - it's more melodic, more experimental.
Spiderland takes you on a journey.
Tweez is more of an angsty album, it's raw and aggressive. Lots of noise. It's great! It gets your adrenaline going. I heard Spiderland first, instantly fell in love with it. I would have liked more albums ala Spiderland. But I was just as happy to have found their first album, Tweez. I do admitt that I don't have the same connection with Tweez as I do Spiderland (hence minus a star). It is pretty much the opposite of Spiderland but equally enjoyable, for a different mood/mind set. You have to decide for yourself if that is a good thing. I think it's great when you have a band that can take you in two completely different directions like that. We are also talking about Tweeze being released in 1989 and Spiderland following it up in 1991.
I know this is not the right genre for this, so please don't flame me - but since someone else brought up Nirvana *hides*.. To say that Spiderland is better than Tweez is like saying "Nevermind" is better than "Bleach". (ummn I liked Bleach much better, but that has nothing to do with _this_ review!) When it's obvious, to me at least, that the musicians were still developing where they wanted to go with their sound(s). Music grows and changes, that is what it is supposed to do. However, out of the two albums, I would say that Spiderland is my favorite and if I were introducing someone to Slint - I'd give them Spiderland. But that really depends on the person. If they were really into Big Black, I'd give them Tweez first. It depends on if you're feeling "grrrr" or "swoony". For lack of better terms. yeah, real punk rock of me. ; >
I really get into listening to Tweez not only for it's own merits, but also to experience what Spiderland did eventually grow out of. I think every fan can appreciate that.
If you like Slint, you should also check out Aerial M (multi-instrumentalist David Pajo, formerly of Tortoise, Slint, Stereolab & others, is Aerial M.). If you haven't already, go pick up Tortoise: "Millions Now Living Will Never Die". And Big Black fans should give a listen to Babyland - "A Total Let Down" &/or "Who's Sorry Now".
If you like Slint, you should buy this album. You can never have enough Slint, and there isn't much to begin with. I also recommend grabbing any/all Slint singles you can find.
on April 20, 2013
If the answer is yes, go out and pick this up pronto! Although he only produced this record, his fingerprints, thoughts, saliva, and influence are all over it! Slint offers their own style of music, but you can hear Mr Albini in the background yelling at them and pushing them in the direction he wanted them to go. Okay, you can't literally hear him yelling, but you know what I mean. For a style of music so few have attempted and done successfully, Slint gets props for giving me more of this noise/oddness that I've been craving.
on June 19, 1998
What can you really say about Slint other than they are masters of their genre. This album is heavy, dense and atmospheric; it moves with a grace all it's own. Tweez contains some of the finest playing around. It's built on pure instinct. This ones a masterpiece.
on August 17, 2000
but not as good as spiderland (or the untitled cd single, for that matter). this is definitely a more experimental album than spiderland, but they don't seem like they have completely jelled musically on this album. there are definite shades of brilliance, but there are also some big mistakes here. buy spiderland first, then if you really like it, buy this album. it won't dissapoint you, but it won't be as good as their second album.
on August 15, 2002
This is the other Slint album. It came out before Spiderland, and is more raw and less obsessed with pirate stories. It sounds a little bit like Shellac, which is not at all a bad thing. If you like Slint, and you should, you should buy this album.
on February 7, 2009
The often-cited underground heroes Slint are a bit overrated to put it lightly, but no less important for it from a production aesthetic vantage. Already with this intriguing, garage-y debut, the band's short-lived sound, from this more playful but equally experimental angle, sounds instantly recognizable, debuting as something of the missing link between Primus and Police. The problem is that, despite obvious and often bursts of brilliance, a fragmented nature gets the best of these songs and contributes to its distance.
on January 13, 2003
While this earlier Slint work does not compare with the magnitude that Spiderland is and was. Its nevertheless a very good album that acts as a precursor to what is to come.
The production is dirty, the sounds murkier. However I can see at this point in the band the members were well on their way to creating what was to be Spiderland.