on March 26, 2011
I like the concept, and if Apple sold a keyboard with the Magic Trackpad permanently attached, I'd have purchased one. So I wanted to be a fan of this solution, but the MagicWand was not all I had hoped it would be.

The MagicWand is plastic, not metal as it might appear in the pictures. As such, it relies on an additional miniature plastic I-beam wedged between the keyboard and the trackpad in order to avoid flexing and to maintain a snug fit. Unfortunately, the beam is too tall and wide. The gap between the edge of the keyboard and the beam is narrower than the gap between keys. This presents a solid barrier right along the keys' edge. My fingers constantly hit the beam when using some of the right-side keys, especially the right arrow, shift and return. I couldn't get used to it after a week and so I took the beam out and periodically re-adjust the keyboard and Magic Trackpad instead.

Aesthetically, the MagicWand beam, the rubber wedge that sits at the top, the Magic Trackpad and the keyboard are all different grays with different textures and glossiness. The whole region between the keyboard and Magic Trackpad looks sloppy. Without the I-beam and wedge, the gap is uneven side-to-side, and the Magic Trackpad often ends up sitting lower than the keyboard.

If the MagicWand had been ten bucks cheaper, I'd have gone with four stars. If there were a more elegant solution than the beam - precision tolerance metal parts or a thinner beam of a material that better matched the keyboard or trackpad - I might have raised the rating as well. As it stands, I regret the purchase. I ultimately went back to leaving the keyboard and trackpad detached.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 9, 2011
When I first started using the MagicWand, it was a little disappointing. The i-beam that joins the keyboard and trackpad prevented the trackpad from moving freely, and made the trackpad less responsive to left clicks. Tap to click works just fine, there are times when a regular physical left-click feels more natural (i.e. when dragging). The i-beam connector also makes it difficult to remove the trackpad when it is time to change batteries. And the rubbery gasket that goes above the connector is a different color, and seems destined to pop off at some point and get lost. None of this is a big deal, but rather a little disappointing.

Removing the i-beam connector and rubber gasket (a filler, really) makes all the difference in the world! With about a 1/8 inch gap between the keyboard and trackpad, everything works just as it should. The 'trick' to a 4-star worthy device is to ignore the 'extra' pieces and use only the main channel.

At thirty dollars, the price feels a bit steep for a 16 inch piece of aluminum-colored plastic, but it does what it is designed to do, and does it very well. A $15 price tag would earn it a solid 5-star review from me.
on July 12, 2011
Its a piece of plastic. You could probably get a reasonable approximation for less than $1 from a hardware store (piece of plastic tube painted silver with a piece of rubber to fill the gap).

Update: I actually have changed my mind, its not even worth $1 its garbage. The concept is flawed. When you have the touchpad attached and you press the fn/control keys (or arrow keys if you have the touch pad on the other side) the pressure pushes the touch pad down and causes activations (as if you pressed the touch pad down. This means you can be happily working away and when you press control plus a key the application swaps away if the mouse pointer is sitting over another window. Really annoying.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I got my MagicWand direct from Twelve South, and having used it for a few weeks, I'm really impressed.

This product is designed to keep your wireless aluminum keyboard and Magic trackpad connected to each other at all times. That's it. No surprises.

First, for those concerned about scratching your aluminum keyboard and trackpad, the MagicWand is made completely out of plastic. For the sake of this review, I removed and inserted the keyboard and trackpad over and over a number of times, and there are no marks on the aluminum anywhere!

OK, so the setup of this product is VERY simple:

1.) Open packaging.
2.) Take out MagicWand.
3.) Insert keyboard into MagicWand. It basically snaps in there, pretty easily, and then you just align the left edge of the keyboard with the left edge of the MagicWand.
4.) Insert Apple Magic trackpad into the right side, aligning it with the right edge of the MagicWand.
5.) Slide the gap hider in between the keyboard and trackpad.
6.) Push included rubber piece down in between the keyboard and trackpad to hide the gap at the top.

Once you've done all this, you're treated to a very tidy, Apple-like setup. I really wouldn't have been surprised if Apple had made this themselves, really.

Pros:

1.) Keeps keyboard and trackpad together at all time.
2.) You can pick up the whole unit from the trackpad or the keyboard, and there is no flex on either side.
3.) Perfect for HTPC user who use their Macs in front of their TV etc, and don't want a mouse.

Cons:

1.) The very bottom left edge of the trackpad is a little firmer to press where it meets the keyboard. This doesn't bother me since I use tap-to-click, but it's something to bear in mind if you're a heavy clicker on the bottom left edge
2.) Not as cheap as it could be...

Overall, an excellent product, and one I recommend highly!

4.5 stars out of 5.
on April 22, 2011
Oh I do wish I could have given this product a 5 star reveiw. Mind you that I am fully satisfied with the concept, easy of install, and usefullness of this product. That last reviewer mentioned that is was made of cheap plastic, and that they didnt like the center beam or rubber stopper all being different colors. Well it being made of plastic in no way bothers me and the finish on the main bar is a match for the kebyoard and pad. The center beam and the rubber stopper being a different color does distract slightly from the esthetics of the product but that's about it. I did however have to drop to 4 stars because of price. 30 bucks for half a plastic tube, a inch sized piece of rubber, and a 4 inch piece of stainless steel should not cost 30 bucks. 19 should be the sweet spot for an accessory like this, though 15 would be better. I'm sure if there is ever competiton for this type of accessory that the market will even itself out. Until then, I'm happy as a clam with my keyboard and trackpad connected!
on May 30, 2011
This product serves a necessary purpose, and I have been satisfied with its use. However, what you're buying here is a couple small pieces of plastic. To charge 30 dollars for what probably cost 30 cents to create is just BS. Its the old supply and demand I guess, but that won't stop me from giving this rip-off a two star review.

Furthermore, you'd think that since you're paying 30 dollars for a couple pieces of plastic they must've at least put together a flawless design. That is not the case. Granted, the flaws are minimal, but they surely could have been easily avoided if the company put a little more thought into the design.

Despite all of this, I don't regret buying this. Connecting my wireless keyboard to my wireless trackpad adds a lot of convenience to my life, and that alone is worth the money. ...i guess.
on July 25, 2011
I wanted to have easy access for controlling my Mac Mini that serves as home media center, so this product seemed like a perfect solution. After using it for one month I must say I am very displeased with the product considering how much I paid for it (around 60 dollars with shipping to EU).
First of all, when you open the box it is quite confusing how to snap everything in the place. There is a user manual but having pictures in it would help. For example I couldn' figure out where to put the rubber piece exactly etc. After few minutes I managed to do it.
The thing that dissapoints me most is the build quality. From the pictures it looks like it matches Apple's products so you expect matching colors and aluminium. Wrong, it is cheap plastic and the H wedge doesn't really match the rest. So I really paid 60 dollars for a piece of plastic? Also, one of the rubber stands fell out yesterday because it is glued poorly!
And don't be surprised if the trackpad clicking doesn't work that good. Its bad function comes from the design - H wedge squeezes the trackpad on one side, so only the outer area of trackpad is easily clickable. Also if you press keys that are close to edge of trackpad you also click the trackpad. But this is something I can get used to.

Mostly I'm displeased that such an expensive product isn't made from durable materials and I'm surprised that after one month it is starting to fall apart. I mean, the thing does it's job - you're sitting at couch or laying in the bad and you can control the computer quite easily but if I could, I wouldn't purchase it. At least for european customers it gets really expensive and you're gonna laugh for what you paid for when you open the box.
on May 14, 2011
This is kind of a cool idea but as others have stated, yes, it is just a piece of silver plastic. The little H beam thingy is what really jacks up your trackpad. It renders all but the bottom right square inch of the trackpad useless unless you exert Herculean strength. Hate to say it because I really wanted to like it, but this is overpriced and while it works very well at holding keyboard and trackpad together, it does so at the expense of usability.
on February 29, 2012
It could be a 5 star product, but some lazy design flaws and what must be a lack of real world testing makes it a flop.

The way the Apple trackpad is designed means that you can't click on the pad while holding it off the surface. So you if you want a solution that makes you keyboard/trackpad portable/handheld, this isn't it.

The little i-beam and rubber cap are not well designed. The cap looks out of place, and the i-beam joint pushes down on the track pad if you use keys on the right of the keyboard, deal breaker.

Cool idea, bad implementation. It's a shame all the popular blog sites rave about this piece, but don't bother to give you the full story. I love my PlugBug, but the Magicwand is not up to TwelveSouth standard. Disappointed.

It looks like the WeMesh Bluefin is another possible solution, i'm going to give it a shot.
on August 13, 2011
I probably should have known, better, but this does not make the trackpad usable (clickable) on your lap. The description suggesting you can use it on your couch must assume that you have a coffee table to work on. If you really need something to hold the two items together, I guess this will do it, but it was useless for my purpose. Seems expensive for three pieces of mismatched plastic. Sending back and going to buy a piece of plywood and tacks.

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations