4.0 out of 5 stars Took me time to get it right
With my personal set up of my computers, I wasn't planning on using this to put my laptop on. I prefer to use my laptop as an external screen, so I mainly bought this with other uses in mind. However, I've made to realizations about the Backpack:

1. It's not as big as I thought. I made the mistake of not looking at dimensions first.
2. If you rotate your...
Published 18 months ago by Brandongy

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay
Fits onto the back of my monitor okay, but there is some flex to the platform that makes it slant 10 degrees or so below horizontal. If it were a perfect fit, I would unconditionally promote this product, but the subpar fit is definitely a limitation.
Published 18 months ago by James A. Feinstein

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Took me time to get it right, September 27, 2012
This review is from: Twelve South BackPack V2 Adjustable Shelf for iMac and Apple Displays (Personal Computers)

2. If you rotate your iMac a lot (I bought the 360 stand for it at the same time), be wary of what you put on the shelf. It's likely to fall off.

Now these aren't knocks against the product itself, but some things I didn't think about were also the tendency to tap my foot on the ground while at my desk sometimes make the desk shake a little. The shake can easily knock something not laying down on the Backpack off.

It's also good to observe how much you adjust your iMac's screen. I like to rotate it a lot (bought the 360 iMac stand at the same time as this), and it also will make things fall off that aren't laying down.

That all said, the product works very well for it's intended use. I haven't tried putting my Air on the back of it, and probably never will. These are just things to keep in mind before purchasing the product.

4 out of 5 for the set-up. The grips on the back don't seem to hold the Backpack level, and instead sit at a bit of a slope (towards the iMac). It's also not terribly easy to adjust the horizontal placement of the Backpack.

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, October 20, 2012

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't fit new iMac, January 29, 2013
Couldn't get it to fit my new 2013 iMac. Great idea- just didn't work as described. The mounts were just too big.

4.0 out of 5 stars Difficult installation, great otherwise, November 27, 2012
Ricky (United States) - See all my reviews
I want nearly every Twelve South product out there. I bought this to hold a portable external hard drive behind my 27" Thunderbolt display as a two partitioned Archive & Time Machine.

Everything feels great out of the box. Great packaging. Solid feel. Matched the silver of Mac products.

Mounting it was difficult. The washers weren't thick enough to mount as instructed in the manual, so I had to move them to the otherside of the screw / shelf / bolt. This worked fine but created a small unsightly gap noone will see. The bolts are tough to grasp and tighten tight enough to prevent slipping.

Once I got it mounted, all is well. It holds my hard drive very well, and aside from the difficult installation, it's a good product.

The difficulty of mounting it took a star away for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Install it and forget it, November 22, 2012
I use this shelf on a 27" iMac to hold my backup hard drive. The shelf is elegantly simple and well made. Do pay attention to the instruction details when assembling and installing, it is easy to reverse the rails without realizing it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for some of the stated purposes but not for others, October 24, 2012
I recently have gone out and upgraded my whole computer set up by purchasing an Apple MacBook Pro 15") to run in clam shell mode and an Apple Thunderbolt 27" Display. For typing, I purchased an Apple Wireless Keyboard. I realized that, after I finish typing, I wanted to move my keyboard off the center of my desk so that I could work on paperwork but wondered how an effective way to do it would be.

Enter the Twelve South BackPack.

I already purchased their BookArc desk stand for Macbook pro and was very impressed by their products and thought I would give their backpack a shot. The product shows up cleanly packaged like their other products which have taken a page out of the way Apple products package their items.

The BackPack is very simple to construct with the included instructions. The backpack is the brushed aluminum color and design and blends in seamlessly with the rest of the Apple products it was designed to function with.

Unfortunately, the intended use of the BackPack was a no-go. The photo and description show they wireless keyboard resting on the Backpack seamlessly. I found that the BackPack is a lot smaller than I thought it would be. The keyboard barely rests on the BackPack. Several times the BackPack did not sit flush with the monitor or slid down which makes the keyboard either rest at an angel or fall off over time even with the included anti-slip mat.

I since have moved the BackPack to the rear of the monitor to hold a small external hard drive.

The product is wonderful but just pay attention to the dimensions of the product when ordering. Note that in other reviews, not just mine, we had issues with the shelf not sitting flush with the monitor as well as the fact it moved from usage. It states that you can hold a MacBook Air on the shelf although I do not believe I would try that. I would instead use their BookArc desk stand for Macbook Air

Recommended for external hard drive storage or other light materials like pad of paper. Not recommended for MacBook Air storage or keyboard as shown in photos.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Storage, September 25, 2013
Jacob (Houston, TX) - See all my reviews
I have two of these. On my iMac I use it to hold a Plugable USB hub and route all the cables neatly. On the Thunderbolt Monitor I use it to dock my mac book Air. It is great for both. It hold my Air without issues, and even comes with little rods to hold the Air in place. I own several Twelve South products, and they never disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Add On For Mac, April 23, 2013
The Twelve South BackPack V2 adjustable shelf was just what I needed and fit the bill for my external Passport for Mac 2TB drive. Installation was easy And the sturdy shelf has a nice silver color that matches both the external drive, Apple Cinema Monitor, and MacPro Tower.

4.0 out of 5 stars Smart Accessory For Adding Storage, April 5, 2013
Marc Lamphear (Burbank, CA USA) - See all my reviews
The adjustable shelf is a great addition to my iMac. It currently has 2 hard drives sitting on the shelf. Assembly and installation is easy, clear and straightforward. I would recommend this product as it provides a smart way to create additional space that would otherwise go to waste.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful fit/finish, March 31, 2013
Does exactly what it is expected to do. Nice stand for the Apple Monitor...!! Would highly recommend to anyone looking to free up desktop space..!!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›