4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised
Published on October 22, 2011 by Nate

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for better
I was looking for a cool travel case for my air. This case does look cool and it has a nice real leather smell.

Primary issue is the only thing holding the air in the case are 2 flimsy tabs at the top. Nothing on the bottom to secure it.

Published on June 21, 2012 by jimmyvegas

4.0 out of 5 stars Pleasantly surprised, October 22, 2011
This review is from: Twelve South BookBook for MacBook Air - Vintage leather case for 13 inch MacBook Air (Personal Computers)
Yes, it's pricey. If you're looking for a good value and function over form, keep looking. There are much cheaper options available that provide better protection. But if you're reading this, that's likely not your MO. I can't tell you the number of compliments I've received since I started using this - people love it. And more importantly, I love it. Also, the "security feature" of looking like a book is legit. It's always fun to see the look of surprise on people's faces when I open my "leather book" for the first time, revealing (an equally beautiful) MBA inside.

One thing that surprised me is how much I enjoy using it while it is still in its case. I didn't expect this at all and had just assumed that I would remove the case whenever in use. I've never had an issue with the computer getting too warm, and the convenience of simply closing the computer and zipping up is great.

My one minor gripe (other than the initial price, which is water under the bridge now) is that I miss the feeling of carrying around an impossibly thin laptop because of the added bulk. It's not a huge issue, but I do have a tinge of envy whenever I heft my wife's 13" MBA in a slim neoprene sleeve. The benefits - being enormously more attractive and providing better protection - still far outweigh the downsides though. One other minor gripe regarding protection though... The hard covers on either side offer excellent protection, and the soft interior is great as well. However, the zippered sides of the case provide little protection from impact. I'm always a bit paranoid of this when setting a backpack down when I have the case inside.

I waffled for some time on whether or not to pull the trigger on this one (my wife's eyes bulged when I divulged the sticker price...), but I can now say that I'm definitely glad I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars air case, September 6, 2011
bought this as a gift for my wife for her macbook air. She loves the way it looks, it really does look like a book or ledger when closed. The quality of the leather is good, it's soft and feels like suede. The interior of the case is padded well (microfiber I think, but feels like suede as well). The zipper is strong, but the leather pull tab on the zipper feels thin and a bit flimsy. If anything breaks or rips on this case it would be the pull tabs on the zipper. It's easy to hold, easy to grip. The macbook air fits tightly, and you have to be careful opening and closing the zipper so you don't scratch the macbook inside. When the case is open with the macbook inside, the back of the zippers come to a stop right where the upper half and the lower half of the macbook come together. Be careful not to open too quickly because if those zippers get caught between the upper and lower halves it could scratch your macbook. My wife is usually very careful with her things, so she doesn't have a problem with the zippers. Overall it's a quality item, overpriced in my opinion but very unique and pretty, my wife has already had great comments from a few people, so she's happy and that makes it worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and Functional, December 1, 2013
I now own three of these cases. I love this case for three reasons: a) it's durable, b) it's protective, and c) it's an attractive conversation piece. If you are comfortable with the price of this case, it is well worth having.

I only have one core complaint and I have found a matching solution. There are two elastic straps which keep the back of the case attached to the monitor as the case opens and closes. Over time, the laptop often slips forward across the smooth leather causing the monitor to slip outside these elastic straps. The solution is to cut a strip of no-slip material and put it underneath the laptop. That is all you need.

5.0 out of 5 stars AWESOME, August 17, 2011
I like it. Doesn't fool anybody to thinking it is a real book when nobody has ever seen you read a book. Nice feel to it, Will buy the iPad one also.

3.0 out of 5 stars Hoped for better, June 21, 2012

Second issue is the zipper is of poor quality and I'm not sure how long it will hold up. The zipper sticks when I pull on it and I'm worried about tearing the zipper if I pull too hard.

Overall its a good looking case but for $80 I expected higher quality zipper and better tabs to hold in place.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Excellent Case, January 10, 2012
Brian Guinitaran (Las Vegas, NV, USA) - See all my reviews
This is a perfect case for protection, lap protection, and security. The cover is fairly rigid, so you can throw it in any bag that will accommodate the dimensions of this case. The quality is excellent, meaning that while it closely imitates an old book, I don't have to worry about it getting stained. I often use this in bed or when sitting down, with no worry about my legs getting warm or the laptop slipping off. It also makes a great disguise as a book, but don't show it off too often.

Of course, even a five-star case have a few, but minor imperfections:
- It imitates an old-book, so it may not suit everyone's tastes.
- There might be a risk of the zipper backs scratching the sides of your MacBook Air.
- You have to pull the zippers all the way back just to open the case. I highly recommend at not tugging it open.
- You'll have to take it out of the case if you're running processor-intensive applications, like playing HD videos.
- You can barely charge it while the case is closed. It's tricky, but doable.
- I expect the elastic band holders to break eventually. Then again, nothing lasts forever.
- Obviously, it can't accommodate any accessories, like a power adapter. You can, however, fit a few folded sheets of paper between the laptop and the case.
- It's fairly expensive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing and unique, August 16, 2011
Absolutely love that case. A bit pricey but it's very high quality leather. The concept is so unique and execution is flawless. Looks and feels as a vintage book. People can't get passed that when they notice it's a computer case. Buy it or even better, have someone gift it to you (as it was in my case) . Totally recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the Rentia., November 19, 2013
like others have said it does not fit the Rentia 13" as it states. sure it will go it in but it's way oversized and not usable.. Will be returning this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you are thinking about buying this. Buy it., July 30, 2011
I purchased this after seeing many good reviews about it on Gizmodo, 9to5mac, and various other websites. The $69.99 price was a little much when I was looking at it but I decided if it wasn't worth it I'll return it. That is definitely not happening now. This thing is amazing. It has a real leather binding which also makes it very sturdy. I don't know if this thing would survive a significant fall but i can tell it is well made and will withstand bumps and small falls. The awesome thing about this is that you can either use it with the air inside or just use it as a sleeve. I use it as a sleeve but have tried it with the air inside and it is great. You can access all your ports and you can charge it while it is closed. The inside is super soft and will not scratch your computer at all. I have already gotten tons of compliments for this case and most people think it's just a book when they see me holding it or walk past. So, in all, definitely buy this case if you are thinking about it. You won't regret it, especially if you like in NYC. I use this to go on the subway and it just gives me peace of mind that people don't realize what I'm holding. 10/10!

1.0 out of 5 stars This does not work with a MacBook Pro Retina, January 10, 2014
This item should not be allowed to be listed. It *DOES NOT* work with the MacBook Pro Retina. It is way too large. Essentially, it becomes a laptop inside of a Trapper Keeper from 3rd grade. The quality of the material is impressive, but the listing is 100% misleading. It does not, will not, could not, should not work with the MacBook Pro Retina. The listing should be flagged.

Wrapping a Retina inside of a blanket or towel and shoving it into your laptop bag would be a more cost effective solution and be sized like this case.

Not to mention the return shipping was $10! Now, I'm out $10 for a product that was improperly listed.

Rate and Discover Movies