5.0 out of 5 stars A largely unknown intellectual
Published on August 3, 2001 by D. Landrum

3.0 out of 5 stars Book
For a class that i took. Quick read. I think i finished it in under an hour. Buy it and learn something
Published 2 months ago by Philey

5.0 out of 5 stars A largely unknown intellectual, August 3, 2001
D. Landrum (Charlotte, NC United States) - See all my reviews
I had the extreme pleasure of sitting in two classes with Ms. Smith as she talked about Twilight. It is a wonderful work with a documentary foundation that educates you on the happenings during the infamous Los Angeles riots, from Korean shopkeepers to Black gang members to White-male politicians--Smith has made sure every reader gets the full spectrum of views. Each monologue is actually an interview Smith personally conducted; each are placed in an order that somehow manages to flow together to tell a collective story of an unfortunate occurence in recent American history and justice. It will remind you that the passions of the event had personal roots for all involved.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good read for theater and history folks, January 12, 2000
Even though the reading of this book can't really capture all of the essence of seeing it staged, Anna Deveare Smith's Twilight is still something that should be bought. She takes interviews and performs the poeple exactly the way they are in order to reveal a truth. It's very moving.

4.0 out of 5 stars Twilight : Los Angeles, 1992, August 27, 2005
This play offers the viewer a chance to reflect on recent history in California. It is an intelligent look at the discussion of race in America. Any chance for thoughtful self-evaluation is an opportunity to grow and learn. Anna Deavere Smith's work is grand.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING, November 11, 2001
Anna Deavere Smith truly brought out what the LA riots of 1992 were about. She shows us how blind we can all be, how an action of one person can actually cause the suffering of another for the rest of their lives. It was scary to think that this could have happened anywhere, or anytime. She showed us that sometimes, we have to open out eyes and watch was is going on around us. It was a great experience. The characters touched me deeply. I recommend it to everyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and provocative., January 26, 1997
By A Customer
A brilliant and provocative work, one that truly captures the American conscious during a benchmark moment in our history. Lest we forget ourselves in the years to come, we have "Twilight" to help us reflect and remember

5.0 out of 5 stars Understand Los Angeles, January 21, 1999
By A Customer
This is a must read if you really want to understand Los Angeles and the fabric that connets communities.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book, June 12, 2014
Philey (Califronia USA) - See all my reviews

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably better as a play, January 28, 2014
I get what Smith is going for here, I think, and I will admit that it sounds like it would go over well on stage. As it is, the faux-conversational cadence of the book as written is a little bit distracting. The subject of this book is one that should clobber you over the head while grabbing your attention. I myself could never really get past the abbreviated prose. It comes off as a bit too-clever-by-half for me...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great~, April 8, 2013
This review is from: Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 - Acting Edition (Paperback)
If you're into race and racism in the United States and if you're interested in Black literature, this is a book you should try~

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight, February 27, 2011
This review is from: Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 - Acting Edition (Paperback)
I ordered a copy of the play and that's what I received and it was in brand new condition. I knew what I was ordering and I received what I ordered in a timely manner. Nothing else to say.

Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 - Acting Edition
Twilight: Los Angeles, 1992 - Acting Edition by Anna Deavere Smith (Paperback - January 1, 2002)
$9.00 $8.10