‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Great 4th installment!, August 5, 2008
This review is from: When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles Book 4) (Mass Market Paperback)
I really liked the first book in this series "The Rest Falls Away" but it didn't really draw me in until the second book. By the third book, I was hooked and madly in love. With this 4th installment in the Gardella Vampire series, it has been cemented that this is my favorite series in the supernatural romance catagory.

This story picks up with Victoria returning to London after her traumatic experiences in Rome, the latest being almost being turned into a vampire by Sebastian's grandfather Beauregarde. Besides the vampires, the mysteries and the guilty pleasure of getting to read what feels like a regency romance combined with Buffy the vampire slayer, it is Victoria's turbulent relationships with Sebastian and Max that really draws the reader in.

They are both so different in temperment and attitudes. Max has never really been a serious player for Victoria's affections I believe until the 2nd book. Even then, his actions towards her seem to stem mostly from animosity. Sebastian on the other hand has always made no secret of wanting to be with her.

I don't want to post any spoilers so I'll just say that I had been rooting for one of them and finally in this book, my expecations has been satisfactorily met. I can't wait for the next book and I know it'll be just as good.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vampire Slayer Series Is A Must Read! (B+ Grade), August 15, 2008
If you are not reading this series, you are seriously missing out. The latest book in the Gardella Vampire Chronicles, When Twilight Burns is available now and I can say that this is the best book in Gleason's series. Where else can you read about a regency vampire slayer, who has a way with a stake and two men at her disposal? By now most are aware of the on-going love triangle between the shady yet seductive, Sebastian Vioget, Lady Victoria Gardella Grantworth de Lacy and the broody, "I need a therapist" Max Peasro.

When Twilight Burns brings the action back to London, England after the last two books took place in Rome. Not only are vampires still sucking the blood and lives of unsuspecting people at night, but now there is one or perhaps more who are striking during the day, and Victoria is being framed for these crimes. Poor Victoria never gets a break. Her mentor, aunt Eustacia who was the oldest living Venator was killed and now Victoria has no one to guide her. Victoria is adrift, trying to keep her secret night life, just that, a secret. She still can't get over the memory of her husband she had to stake because he became a vampire and her feelings for Max, which have become more of an attraction, puts her at odds with herself because Max was the one to kill Eustacia. Then there is Sebastian who is a Venator like Victoria but walks a fine line because his grandfather, who is one of the head vampire honchos, so Victoria doesn't know where his loyalties really lie.

There is a lot of action and vampire butt kicking that you won't want to miss, plus Victoria, in a round about way makes a decision on whom she loves. I still think whom she ends up with could go either way. Max and Victoria have a major earth shattering moment between them, much more so than the heated kiss they shared in The Bleeding Dusk and Sebastian finally tells Victoria how he feels for her. Victoria is torn between these two men. She wants Sebastian in the physical sense but she can't trust him, whereas with Max she cares for him because he lost in the world, much like the way Victoria feels sometimes.

If you think love triangles and blood thirsty vampires aren't enough, Victoria also has a big personal problem that may destroy her life. She may have a lot more in common with these creatures she hunts than she could ever have imagined.

Again, if you are not reading Colleen Gleason's, Gardella Legacy, I am giving you a call to action to hop to it.

Katiebabs
The Rest Falls Away: The Gardella Vampire Chronicles
Rises The Night: The Gardella Vampire Chronicles
The Bleeding Dusk: The Gardella Vampire Chronicles

5.0 out of 5 stars I Love this Series, The Gardella Vampire Chronicles, August 19, 2008
This is the 4th book in the series and I wasn't disappointed at all. Victoria has recovered from being bitten by a seductive vampire and worst of her she bit him back and was almost turned. She is back home in London and there are vampire attacks taking place in the daytime, Victoria is attempting to solve this mystery along with Sebastian. Max is back and it seems her heart is still divided between the two men. Lilith the Vampire Queen is back in this book and Victoria comes face to face with her again and Lilith is still after Max, the Vampire Slayer, who she held in her thrall for many years. I found at the end of the book, that I am looking forward to the next book in the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy I discovered this series and the author!!!, April 7, 2009
joeyjhg2 (BATON ROUGE, LA United States) - See all my reviews
I'm not going to go into what the book is about because other reviewers have done an excellent job of that. :)
I had seen reviews of the Gardella Vampire Chronicles at different sites on the Internet, and finally decided to try one book. Needless to say after reading the first one, I immediately bought the rest of the books in the series.
Colleen Gleason knows how to write and knows how to keep the reader interested.
Loved this series!

4.0 out of 5 stars It's hard to know who to root for, December 30, 2008
This one takes up right after the (admittedly slightly predictably happy... and yet there was that one twist...) ending of the last book in the series (The Bleeding Dusk). And it dives right into another great story that kept me reading straight through. Again, we see characters acting very human, making mistakes, and questioning themselves and their motives. Not the normal two-dimensional cutouts that most people think of when they think about a romance novel. These characters really carry the story, because I'll admit, of all of the main plots in this series, this was the weakest. It seemed the 'main' plot was just there to provide a setting for the real story about the characters.

If you've read this far in the series this is a must-read. I don't think this book would stand particularly well on its own, so if you haven't read the first three books in the series I urge you to go back and do so (I would recommend the series to any paranormal or romance reader). And I can't wait for the next in the series...

4.0 out of 5 stars Another hit in the series, October 7, 2008
another great read, once you get into the next adventure its hard to put the book down, you only want to read what happens next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better and Better, I loved When Twilight Burns. Can't wait for the next one., September 27, 2008
I love that this series, which is already an original combination of genres - a regency urban fantasy as oxymoronic as that sounds - keeps evolving. The last book left us hanging. Is Victoria on her way to becoming the very thing that she's been hunting? She's not a vampire but the other Venator's sense her as such, so what is she? Will she be lost? Will Max be able to avoid Lilith's wrath now that he is no longer a Venator? And Sebastian, now that we know his secret and the ties that bound him away from his destiny have been cut, what will he become? All the answers are here and they are revealed amidst much action and emotion, in a very satisfying manner. Victoria's relationships with Max and Sebastian evolve, with both some steamy moments and some poignant ones. I can hardly wait to see where Gleason takes Victoria next.

For those of you that aren't regency fans, don't let that put you off from giving this series a try. Start with the first book and don't let its initial light and frivolous tone put you off, because Victoria's transition from hopeful debutante whose future is gowns and marriage, growing through tragedy and loss, to becoming the powerful woman willing to sacrifice to accept the responsibility of the legacy that is hers to fulfil, makes for some really great reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always enjoy a good Gardella story!, April 9, 2013
Colleen Gleason continues to hit home runs with her Gardella series. I wish that there were more. I love the theme, and am always up for a good read. I love her plots, the characters, and fervently hope to see many more of her books!

5.0 out of 5 stars If you love vampire stories this collection is great., April 6, 2013
Enjoy this book very much. I like to read about vampires and was surprised about this story line. Good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars I Enjoyed It, August 31, 2008
I'm definitely on deck for the next installation. Although this love triangle is driving me crazy!! Lol possibly, because I know who I want to win, but its not looking so good for him right now. I think maybe they need another female venator. I can't recall another other than Victoria and Eustacia.
I liked that Victoria continued to grow as a character and the plot moved smoothly.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles Book 4)
When Twilight Burns (Gardella Vampire Chronicles Book 4) by Colleen Gleason (Mass Market Paperback - August 5, 2008)
Used & New from: $0.01