5.0 out of 5 stars ***CONTAINS SPOILERS: Doesn't Fall Short Of Brilliant.
Published on December 1, 2011 by Eden

1.0 out of 5 stars Perri is great, the rest is a bore
Published on November 12, 2011 by crinum lily

5.0 out of 5 stars ***CONTAINS SPOILERS: Doesn't Fall Short Of Brilliant., December 1, 2011
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
Firstly, I suggest one watch the movie before purchasing because once one see's how each song is perfectly timed to fit the scenes they'll love the songs even more especially because they'll be able to fit an image with their favorite song! Fortunately, I'm a diehard Twilight Fan that remembers each scene with the song. Therefore I'll match the key ones. The overall vibe of the album is softer than all of the soundtrack's before it (trust me people if you watch the movie you'll understand that it matches the scenery), yet it has a different soulful edge to it that up until this soundtrack, Twilight fans would not be used to--That doesn't necessarily mean that the material is any less suitable it just means that I expected a different reaction to this soundtrack than to all the others that are more up in the "Alternative" alley in music. Songs like "Neighbors" By Theophilus London (who I expect to blow up or at least become better known in the near future), "It Will Rain" By Bruno Mars. That fits Jacob's point of view.

Since the movie starts with everyone getting the invitations to Bella & Edward's wedding you can't expect much less than an intense softness from its soundtrack. The movie then goes into Bella training to walk in heels for the huge wedding Alice has single handedly decorated with her "Vampire speed" & buoyancy touch. It needs to be said before--The scenes don't go exactly hand in hand with the track listing. In fact, the opening track "Endtapes" By The Joy Formidable plays in the end credits starts half-way into the song. The lyrics of "Endtapes" perfectly shadows that the Saga is ending with the chorus lyric: "Sellotape end to, a story that is ending".

Songs that are more Alternative are by unknown bands (I may add that this gives the opportunity for us as listeners to discover new talented bands we wouldn't have heard of otherwise) Songs include: "Like a Drug" By Hard-fi (Bonus Track) is a festively fun song played while everyone dances at the wedding & Alice wow's the crowd with a backflip dancing with Jasper. "Sister Rosetta (2011)" By The Noisettes. Now this Version of the song is not the one being played in the movie while Bella is changing to get ready to go for a swim with Edward & spend the night with him. Although, after listening to both, I conclude happily that The 2011 Version is the better Version of the two. "From Now On" By The Features, played during a montage scene of Bella & Edward in their honeymoon, while Bella is trying to entice Edward's character to touch her again after bruising her up the first night. "I Didn't Mean It" By The Belle Brigade, is played in the last scene when the Voltrui is getting a note that explains that Bella is changed. This song also describes jealousy that perfectly coins Jacob's feelings the whole entire movie towards Edward & Bella's relationship. The song "Requiem On The Water" By Imperial Mammoth is played right after Edward packs to leave their Honeymoon & Bella is left to look in the mirror & touch her stomach to feel what she alone believes to be the miracle of life inside of her.

Beautifully written songs include "Turning Page" By Sleeping At Last, that is played in a flashback montage while Bella is looking in the mirror the morning after being with Edward for the first time. The Instrumental Version of "Turning Page" is played while Charlie walks Bella down the aisle & one gets a good angle of Bella's Hair Clipped veil,(Twilight Breaking Dawn "Bella's Hair Comb in Velvet Box), leading down to the intricate embroidery on the back of Bella's beautiful wedding dress. "A Thousand Years" By Christina Perri, This song ties in brilliantly with the wedding speech Edward made in front of everyone about "Starting with forever" & "Llovera" By Mia Maestro, a Spanish song that translates to the word "Rain". This is played during the moonlit scene in the water with Bella & Edward night bathing at the beach in Brazil. Absolutely stunning piece. & How can you not mention The New Version of "Flightless Bird, American Mouth" played during the wedding scene. It is Edward & Bella's song since the first Winter Formal scene in the first Twilight Movie. Therefore it wouldn't be a Wedding without it. "Cold" By Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz a masterpiece, its sound is rooted in Twilight's old sound used in The New Moon & Eclipse soundtracks. This song is played while Bella unravels herself in the mirror while her body is going through major deterioration while she tries to keep it together during her baby's pregnancy. "Sing for the lion & lamb" Is among my favorite lyric, giving off a "lullaby-ish type" of melody that contradicts the truthfully cunning vibe of the song, bringing a goosebump worthy sight to the big-screen in such a bone chilling scene. Lastly out of the soft batch of songs is "Love, Death, Birth" By Carter Burwell. This is a great song that comes full circle with the developing of Bella's character since Carter Burwell created Twilight's "Bella's Lullaby" & this song is played at the end during the montage that goes on while she is transforming & all the scenes of the previous movies/memories of hers come up while Bella's human life is coming to an end. & They even have a view of Charlie & Renee' carrying Bella has a baby in that montage to climax into the awakening of the new Bella. The Rebirth of Bella as a vampire & her new life for all of eternity, with beautiful red beaming eyes: the most anticipated part of the whole series.

Overall, the soundtrack is quite astounding & maybe the best soundtrack to intertwine altogether perfectly with the meaning of the lyrics & scenes themselves. SUPERB job on the music you guys, I can't wait for Breaking Dawn: Part II!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Set the night on fire if we want to, November 8, 2011
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
There is only thing about the Twilight movies that I actually like -- the soundtracks.

Overall, the soundtracks for these movies have been excellent, with some truly sublime songs by talented artists. And I don't have a lot to complain about with the "Breaking Dawn Part 1" soundtrack, which continues the tradition. A few of the choices are headscratchers (Bruno Mars? Really?) but the majority weave a delicate, bittersweet atmosphere over some very enjoyable pop tunes.

It kicks off with The Joy Formidable's "Endtapes," which is a pretty solid way to begin the album -- it's a sprightly song that seems to swing between marchlike beats and swirling pop melodies. Then we have Angus & Julia Stone's "Love Will Take You," a wistful, mellow little folk-pop song that lifts you up and cradles you in a silken wash of violin.

That feeling is carried over through most of the songs -- we have sorrowful, romantic piano ballads by Sleeping At Last, Aqualung & Lucy Schwartz, Mia Maestro and Iron & Wine; the thumping smoky defiance of Belle Brigade's "I Didn't Mean It"; the gentle soaring acoustic guitars of Christina Perri and Imperial Mammoth; and the tinkling prettiness of Cider Sky's "Northern Lights."

But there were a few songs that stuck out like sore thumbs. Bruno Mars' "It Will Rain" just drips with over-the-top drama, and it feels clumsy compared to the subtler songs that surround it. Also, Theophilus London's "Neighbors" is... a rap. That REALLY doesn't fit with the other songs. Whose idea was that?

However, the rest of the album feels oddly cohesive, despite being made by several different artists. There are misty layers of gentle piano and satiny strings, a rougher undercurrent of earthy acoustic guitar, and a sprinkling of starlit synth blips that pop up here and there. Occasionally you get a more robust, boisterous pop melody, keeping the album from getting monotonous -- the Features and the Noisettes particularly.

And it has a very distinct atmosphere as well -- the songs seem to drift between bittersweet contemplation and romantic coziness, reflecting on the loss of love as well as how wonderful it can feel. One song can charm you with its romantic exuberance ("Northern Lights") and the very next can break your heart... and some manage to do both at the same time (Iron & Wine's contribution).

I don't expect "Breaking Dawn Part 1" to be any better than the other Twilight movies, but it's undeniable that the soundtrack is exquisite, if flawed. Ignore Mars and Theophilus London, and this soundtrack ends up sublime.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Beautiful, December 15, 2011
The Breaking Dawn soundtrack is by far my favorite of the soundtracks, but even more so this score is my favorite of the scores. I had my doubts about Carter Burwell returning, because I didn't really like his score for Twilight at all, but it is like he has become a whole new composer on this album. He actually explains a lot of his reasoning in the liner notes:

"Three years ago, when I wrote the music for the film 'Twilight', Bella Swan was a fairly typical teenager, at fairly typical high school, in a fairly typical - if rainy - American town. The music I wrote attempted to play that world and the ways in which love shifted it's foundation.

"While Bella is still Bella, the world in which 'Breaking Dawn Part One' takes place is no longer typical. Bella is marrying a vampire, is planning to become a vampire herself, while her best friend is a shape-shifting wolf. And that is literally only the beginning.

"Bella's life is no longer that of a typical teenager and the music I wrote for this film is different as well. In many ways this film encompasses Bella's entire adult life - leaving home, marriage, pregnancy, birth, death - and so the music covers a lot of ground as well. While the score to the first film was intimate and centered on guitar and piano, this one grows dramatically in scale, eventually incorporating a symphony orchestra, choir and a battery of percussion. It also traverses wider and wilder emotional territory, and does so in ways that are frankly melodramatic.

"How else would you describe a scene in which a vampire and a man-wolf perform an improvised Caesarean section on the girl the both love, no one knowing what they're delivering? Despite the extraordinary events depicted in the film (and the music), it's still truly a love story, and when the characters occasionally pause and remember this, there is a hint of their first love theme, 'Bella's Lullaby'."

Do yourself a favor and get the Breaking Dawn soundtrack as well, as there are some beautiful instrumental pieces on there that are not part of this score. Many of them are instrumental versions of songs that were featured for a moment or two during the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bruno Mars doesn't seem like it fits... but otherwise it's great!, November 9, 2011
L. Gates (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
While listening to this, I have the strangest feeling that the bridge/intro (instrumental)of "Turning Page" sounds identical to an Imogen Heap/Frou Frou song. I just wish I could remember which one.

Overall, it is a great album, I just wish there was a Muse or a Deathcab for Cutie song since those two bands reign true to the series. Perhaps even a nod to Stephanie Meyer's playlists that she used while writing the series could have been incorporated in one way or another into the soundtrack like previous ones. The instrumental score tracks are great thought. "Love Death Birth" had a great infusion and a sense of maturing from Bella's lullaby, Edward's theme, and even a hint of connection to the songs that Robert Patterson sang for the 1st movie. The overall theme of the songs matches the overall theme of the books, Maturity, Change, and Closure. Removing all of the Fantasy stuff, the characters grew up and now have to make adult decisions about relationships so in that aspect the soundtrack also complements the books.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE, January 26, 2012
Whether you're a Twilight fan or not, every soundtrack they put out is incredible! They have great music on each movie and I own all of the soundtracks! There are singers/groups I've never heard of but end up loving and then buying their individual CDs - I've found some of my favorite groups off of Twilight soundtracks! Even if you hate Twilight - you'll love this soundtrack and all of the others!!

5.0 out of 5 stars So happy to finally add this to my collection, November 10, 2011
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
Woo-hoo!!! I cannot wait for Breaking Dawn Part I and the sound track is a good preview for the tone of the movie. LOVE One Step Closer and It Will Rain. Some of the songs will have to grow on me, but I felt the same way about the other three soundtracks. After watching the movie I'll enjoy listening as a reminder to what the characters were doing.

1.0 out of 5 stars Perri is great, the rest is a bore, November 12, 2011
crinum lily (Indianapolis, IN) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
Let me begin by saying that *all* of the previous Twilight soundtracks are among my favorite albums of the last few years. I could listen to them all again and again -- and they introduced me to some great new artists. Even their worst songs were still pretty good. So I had high hopes for the Breaking Dawn part 1 soundtrack. I was worried though after listening to audio clips online before the album was released and not feeling hooked by any of the songs. I love Christina Perri, and her song "A Thousand Years" is lovely. But after listening to the soundtrack as a whole a few times over, I feel that the rest of the album is boring and forgettable. Some of the songs are kinda pretty, but totally forgettable as soon as you are done listening to them. I can always tell right away when an album just isn't working for me. I listen to a lot of music. And this one just isn't working for me. I had no desire to re-listen to any track except Perri's. And the only other redeeming track is the last track on the album -- which is from the musical score. I say save your money on this one and just download Perri's track and the musical score album when it comes out. I guess after such a good run of soundtracks, one was bound to suck...

5.0 out of 5 stars Great CD, December 11, 2011
chad (cookeville tn usa) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
Great cd! If you love the movie you will love the soundtrack! Brings back all the great moments in the movie.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE IT!!!!!!, December 10, 2011
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
GREAT CD!! Love it! The sound track totally fits the movie. I give it 5 stars all the way. I can't wait to purchase the movie!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, December 2, 2011
This review is from: Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (Audio CD)
This is an excellent cd. It is very mellow and beautiful. I can feel the emotions from the characters in each song.

Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn
Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn by Various Artists (Audio CD - 2011)
Rate and Discover Movies