1,578
The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (Special Blu-ray/DVD Single-Disc Edition)
Format: Blu-rayChange
Price:$9.81 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

Showing 1-10 of 64 reviews (2 star)show all reviews
on January 6, 2011
Format: DVD
Kristen Stewart and Rob Pattinson have a commentary on the dvd that I was really looking forward to since they didn't do one for the New Moon dvd. Maybe my expectations were too high, but it was a very disappointing.

At the very beginning of the commentary, Rob says something like: "I'm in LA and Kristen is in Montreal, so this is probably going to be very awkward and annoying and we'll have nothing to say after 3 minutes." He was right! Scenes were passing by and there was no commentary, only Silence. The pauses were so long, I thought the commentary on my dvd player had shut itself off.

Also, I had to watch the commentary with subtitles because I couldn't understand what they were talking about, and then even with the subtitles, I couldn't understand Kristen half the time. She said things like (and this is word for word): "I don't know. I mean, maybe it's just like, I mean, maybe it fits with the, you know, us us humans are really fragile and like the main character is a girl and all of that and the fact that she's willing to subject herself to something like so sexually overpowering is like something that's actually it's not just it's not just like, it's not just like cool and scary, it's actually sort of like not not the smartest thing. Maybe that's, you know what I mean, maybe they're reminding you that this girl or whoever like these like they're actually really sensitive so yeah I don't know, whatever."

Or "She was yeah she was getting like really yeah every time she was getting close I mean I'm kidding she totally could have done whatever, but."

Really great scenes were passing by and there's no commentary! Just silence. For example, in the scene where Bella leans against Jacob in wolf form, that would have been a great opportunity to talk about how they did that. All's Kristen says is something like, "his little suit." What? What's that mean? Was that an actual wolf suit? When I saw the behind the scenes takes, I realized that Taylor Lautner was actually dressed in this gray scuba-like suit for that scene. He leans down and she pats his head just like he does in wolf form. That would have been something interesting to talk about, but no.

Also, Kristen tells Rob to "shut up" or "shhh" about 30 times which was kind of annoying.

Half way through, Rob says, "People are going to watch this and be like, really, that's all you have to say?" At least he was aware of it!

One high point is Rob's sense of humor. I was laughing out loud during some parts of his commentary. And seeing his real personality and accent, it made me appreciate him as an actor since he is really nothing like Edward.

Aside from the commentary, I know this movie could make me cry if there was another actress playing the role of Bella. Kristen Stewart is a good actress, in other movies. For some reason, I can't relate to her. My heart won't soften when she's on the screen. With Edward and Jacob, my heart starts to break, and then she shows up and it stops. There's no chemistry with her. She's not vulnerable enough or something. And she never smiles. She's got the right look but that's all. It's kind of a shame, imho.

Stephenie Meyer and one of the producers also do a commentary, and that one is excellent. No long awkward pauses. They're focused and give you lots of behind the scenes info.
on November 3, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
Being a huge Twihard fan, I was excited about the low price of the 2-disc special. After receiving it in the mail, I was shocked to see the cover in English and in Spanish. I haven't opened it due to wanting to research it first and possibly return it before opening. Luckily, someone had written a review on the same subject and said it's all in English with a Spanish option. Puts me at ease so now I can finally watch my movie! It should be written in the item description not to freak out if you receive the bilingual cover, since it's confusing that the main picture on the page to order from, is all in english.
on July 13, 2011
Format: DVD
I kept blanking out. I have no idea what their problem is or why tween girls would tolerate so much indecision. Victoria's very small story would have made a great episode of Criminal Minds or Buffy/Angel. The music wasn't as good this time. The werewolves dialed down their workout. There was not enough of Dakota Fanning and her movie brother.

IS it over?

an eclipse, a total permanent eclipse, that's what's called for
Format: DVD
I suppose I was naïve to think that this third installment of the Twilight cultural phenomenon would be any better or more interesting than the first two "films" in the series. To be honest, I watched this (and read the first three books) out of a sense of pop culture obligation--I do need to stay abreast of the popular trends in YA literature and culture. Sometimes that obligation is enjoyable and rewarding (e.g., the Harry Potter novels and films), and sometimes that obligation is an excruciating act of penance (e.g., any and all things Twilight). What can I say to express the profound artistic void that this film represents? That the acting is wooden and hammy? That the story is about as interesting as watching bread mold? That the script is amateurish and insipid? That the film looks as if it were shot in a teenager's basement and backyard? That the special effects are, in effect, anything but special? That the only thing worth looking at in this entire film is Taylor Lautner's bare torso? I shudder to think that the final installment of this series will be divided into two films. Please, have mercy and end this entire Twilight fiasco already.
on November 16, 2010
Format: DVD
I enjoyed Eclipse, the book, but was not expecting a whole lot considering the first two movies. My first bone to pick is with the hair and makeup department. I did miss Rachelle as Victoria, but I like Bryce D Howard as an actress and she was good here, but who on earth put her in the hideous wig? Her real hair is much prettier. She looked like the love child of Bozo and Raggedy Ann. Jackson/Jasper's wig was better in this one than New Moon at least. Edward's hair has not been bronze (his trademark in the book) since the first movie. It's sad when Hardwicke, with virtually no budget, gets the hair and makeup the best out of the three. Rosalie/Nikki's wig was the best of the wigged cast. Bella/Kristen's wig looked like the one Jacob/Taylor wore in the first movie and Carlisle/Peter's wig looks like a hairspray helmet. These things bug me because they are easy to get right. Emmett/Kellan looked like he showed up at the wrong set and meant to play Spock.

Taylor shines as usual. Loved Jasper's story and Jackson's chemistry with Ashley Greene (Alice). I wish we got more of Rosalie's history. It's one of the more interesting parts of the book, IMO. Although playing adversaries, Taylor and Rob have wonderful chemistry. Unfortunately, the only person Kristen seems to have chemistry with is Taylor. She acts apathetic during the make-out scene on the bed and during the proposal, but that's normal for her. I watched the first Twilight with an open mind, but I now can predict how she plays pretty much any role: gape, deep intake of air, run hands through hair, stutter, blink, repeat. She did the same thing in Into The Wild and Adventureland. (Sorry, I think she's over rated.) Since she's the main character, she should mostly carry the film, but she drags it down. I also think that Melissa Rosenberg must have been cheap because I can think of no other reason they keep her after all this time. I know movies are rarely as good as the book, but MelRose skewers the script.
Format: DVD
Love Lesson From Twilight #4,267: "Love" turns all guys into controlling jerks who don't do anything except compete to see whose dingdong is bigger.

Sadly that's most of what's going on in "Twilight: Eclipse." It's the best of the series thus far, mainly because some underdeveloped characters get some backstory and there are some interesting action scenes... but the movie is smothered in a thick coating of phlegmlike teen angst, whining and bickering. It gets to the point where you WISH the bad guys would arrive.

In summary: Edward (Robert Pattinson) is pestering Bella (Kristen Stewart) to marry him. Bella doesn't want to because (boohoo) her parents are divorced and marriage is dead to her, but she DOES want to become a vampire. Jacob (Taylor Lautner) wants Bella to dump Edward and be with him instead.

Meanwhile, the evil Victoria is raising an army of newborn vampires to come to Forks and kill Bella. Yes, seriously -- she raised an entire army to kill ONE bland human teenager. Not the Cullens, or the people of Forks. Just Bella. And since the entire universe revolves around Bella, both the werewolves and the Cullens are desperate to protect her. So they overcome centuries of mutual hatred and join forces to protect her.

I will admit it: "Twilight Eclipse" is easily the best movie in this series... which is like saying that a pinch is less unpleasant than a poke in the eye. Amazingly, there are actually some taut, fast-paced scenes here, as well as some creepy eerie scenes involving the newborn army (like their too-briefly glimpsed mayhem in Seattle).

Too bad that isn't what the plot is REALLY about. Instead, we're battered with a bad teen soap opera -- lots of heavy breathing, kissing, whining, and romantic estrangements that last about two minutes. The dialogue is painfully vapid ("You love him." "I love you more." "I know"), and the director seems to be desperately trying to come up with some kind of plot other than Edward and Jacob being emo jerks.

Kristen Stewart gives her usual one-note performance -- dead eyes, masklike face and a monotone voice. And the insipid Bella just drifts through the movie, more of a living MacGuffin than a heroine. It's hard to see why not one but TWO boys would be ready to die for a boring girl who just sits there breathing through her large front teeth.

Robert Pattinson is pretty obviously just here for for his paycheck, while Taylor Lautner gives it his best effort. Unfortunately his character has turned into a controlling jerk to rival Edward, and the two male leads have more sexual chemistry with each other (the tent scene) than with the leaden Stewart. In fact, the only decent character development is given to Jasper and Rosalie, and seeing their backstories (especially Rosalie's bloodthirsty bride rampage) makes them richer and more intriguing than our bland protagonists.

"Twilight Eclipse" is the best movie of the Twilight series.... which isn't saying much. It has some good moments, but those are smothered by all the teen soapiness.
on December 6, 2010
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
First off, I pre-ordered this movie for my wife and I recieved the movie two days after its dvd release date. As an Amazon prime member I'm guaranteed to have this movie on its day of release, instead she had to wait while everybody else was running down the street to Wal-Mart and getting it Saturday morning. My biggest complaint though is the packaging of the Special Edition Blu-ray and Dvd combo!! They actually want to charge upwards to $30.00 for a single disc release that contains the blu-ray on one side and the dvd on the other! I and others find this completely unacceptable and just another way cheapen their product while cheating the consumers!! Also, for a blu-ray that costs around $30.00 where's the freaking digital copy?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 3, 2012
Format: Amazon Instant Video
I stumbled on to the Twilight series in the 3rd installment, so I had much to catch up on when viewing the movie with a friend who had seen it several times. I bugged him throughout the movie:

Q. So who's this guy with the eyebrows, and why is he wearing so much makeup?
A. He's the hero - a vampire. He needs to look undead, thus the makeup.

Q. A teenage vampire for a hero? I guess he must be a "good" vampire, then?
A. Yes, he's a good vampire. He and his coven fight bad vampires.

Q. But what does he do for food? I mean, doesn't a vampire's dietary requirements pretty much drive his moral character?
A. No worries -- the good vampires have managed to become vegetarians.

Q. Very progressive. So what's the deal with this other kid who can't keep his shirt on? I mean, he's definitely ripped, but it's a bit gratuitous, even in a movie like this.
A. He's a werewolf. He takes his shirt off when changing form so that it isn't ruined.

Q. But what about his pants? They always seem to come back somehow.
A. Maybe they're made of Lycra or something stretchy.
Q. No, watch: he's a wolf right now - no pants. Now he's turned back into a human - pants.
A. I don't know what to tell you.
Q. And what about this female wolf? Somehow both her shorts and top conveniently reappear.
A. Maybe they needed to keep the movie in PG territory for demographics, okay?

Q. I will grant you that. One final question: Why are these two guys practically killing each other over this girl? Aren't there any other women in the Pacific Northwest? She's not especially pretty, and always seems to have a sneer on her face. What gives?
A. She's the female lead - take it or leave it.

Conclusion: If you are not a member of the target demographic for this movie, I recommend the latter option.
on December 8, 2010
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I don't usually do written reviews, but this time I have to say that I'm EXTREMELY disappointed on how this version of the so called blu ray and Dvd combo was packaged. Using only one dics to have both the blu ray and Dvd version? HUH? I could have saved myself money and just bought the Blu ray only if I only wanted one disc. I like fact that every blu ray/ dvd combo I have bought have had two discs separately. One for my blu ray player and one for my dvd player. It was a shock to get this one with both formats on one disc. I think for the price they should have done two or at least make it clearer that it was only going to be one disc which to me is a dumb thing to do. Back when I preordered this item I don't recall it being advertised as a Single-Disc, as it is now. It may be cheaper for them but not for me. I will not be buying any more combos done this way. I have learn my lesson. Save yourself some money and avoid them too. Either buy only the blu ray or the DVD since you will only get one disc with the combos, and save yourself some bucks.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on December 13, 2011
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
I don't believe I ordered the French or Spanish edition of Eclipse, however that's what it reads on the box and case i received. Unable to tell whether it's in a widescreen format as well. I guess I shoud've got the French and Spanish Rosetta Stone as well. This disc is clearly from Quebec, Canada. I just hope this editione speciale works cause it's for my girlfriend who is not French or Spanish. Lesson learned...Do not buy from Optishopper, LLC even if it's fulfilled by Amazon for shipping.