Twilight (Single-Disc Edition)
Format: DVDChange
Price:$4.98+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on April 13, 2010
This DVD of Twilight has 3 discs in it! The extras on each disc are awesome! If you are a true Twilight Fan, you'll want this edition!!
Disc 1 contains extended scenes not scene in theaters, audio commentary by director Catherine Hardwicke, Kristen & Robert, plus Music Videos from Muse, Paramore, Linkin Park & others.
Disc 2 contains a detailed 7 part documentary that gives you the ulimate insider's look at how Twilight was created - from book to script to screen - plus never before seen deleted scenes.
Disc 3 contains a revealing conversation with Stephenie Meyer, intimate journeys with Robert in "Becoming Edward" and Kristen in "Becoming Bella" and more on the music from the film including Edward's piano concert.
This is the ultimate edition available of Twilight!
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on March 22, 2009
If I were rating this movie solely on quality of the film, it would get one star. if i were rating it solely on how much i love to watch it even though it's awful, it would get 5 stars. SO I averaged it and got 3.

The dialogue is horrendous, the effects cheesy, the music (not the soundtrack which is great, but the score) indescribably awful. It looks like a made for TV movie.

However- I can't stop watching it. i saw it 3 times in the theater and pre-ordered my own copy. It entertains me. Plus, Edward is nice to look at... oh, James too. LOVE James.To me this movie is absolutely hysterical- where it doesn't intend to be. The scene where Edward first sees Bella in class and he looks as if he may throw up on her??? Great! The look that Billy Black and Edward exchange as they pass each other in their cars? Priceless. I love the baseball scene! But the crouch down and prepare to fight stance they take at the end... Can anybody say Power Rangers? But just mentioning all this makes me want to watch it again. I know it makes no sense. It just has that power.

I should be embarrassed to like this, but I'm not. I will watch it over and over again proudly. I will recommend it to anyone I can. Watch it and love it. But know that it's terrible and know that it can't compare to the book and that all of it's charm is due to it's cheesiness.
108108 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
VINE VOICEon July 3, 2005
Director Robert Benton has crafted a film reminiscent of the 1940's in this complex and character driven film with an ensemble cast of screen veterens and one future star in her first adult role. The mystery is engrossing and the performances are stellar as Benton shows how age and life experience sometimes shades the black and white of right and wrong to gray.

The story revolves around former P.I. Harry Ross (Paul Newman) attempting to do a favor for Jack Ames (Gene Hackman) that leads to blackmail and murder. The favor may involve Jack's beautiful wife Catherine Hayward (Susan Sarandon). A twenty year old murder comes into play as well as Harry slips back into a life he left behind when the Ames' spoiled little brat Mel (Reese Witherspoon) brought him some bad luck a few years prior on a case down in Mexico.

Newman is terrific as he reluctantly tries to fix things for everyone as the bodies pile up. It's a task that gets more difficult as he gets closer to the truth. The unspoken attraction between he and Catherine is cause for concern as well in this character driven mystery. Stockard Channing gives a nice performance as Harry's old flame Lt. Verna Hollander, and Reese Witherspoon acquits herself nicely in her first adult role.

Benton has added enough humor to the story to give it the feel of reality. This film was not designed for the teen driven box office of today but for the rest of us. It has some terrific performances from the entire cast and some true-to-life moments.

It is James Garner who truly shines as the old pal of Harry and Jack, Raymond Hope. Garner always makes it look so natural and easy his performance sometimes gets overlooked. He is really great here and the interplay between he and Newman as they discuss growing older and the events taking place are priceless. It may seem clear what happened twenty years ago but it is the relationships that drive this story and the ones that are shattered forever when Harry finally peels away the gray to reveal the black and white.

This is a fine film that subtly shows what can happen to people who become used to having everything work out for them. As Garner's character Raymond tells Harry: "There's them, and there's us, Harry." Benton has crafted an old style film that you won't want to miss if you're tired of the teen box office fare. It is a mature and thoughtful mystery and a meditation on friendship and growing older. This one is worth owning.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2009
I had heard about the fantasy books by a friend when they first came out but didn't have the time to look into them. By the time the movie came out, I'd nearly forgotten about the book referral, but asked my hubby to take me as it looked like a good vampire romance flick. The scenery of the Pacific Northwest forests, rivers, and coastline was breathtaking and as a native to this area, it was like going out into my own backyard which made the film that more appealing. I was so captivated by the actors portrayal of the characters (the facial expressions and emotions brought out of the characters by Rob, Kristen, Peter, Nikki, and the rest were mesmerizing) and the depth of the back-story left me desiring more! The very next day after viewing the movie in the theater - I raced to the bookstore to grab the first book. I was hooked, read through all four books (plus went to the authors website to read the extra materials she had posted there) in a week. Then, still not satisfied, went back and saw the movie several more times - IN THE THEATER, something I've never felt compelled to do before - because I was so drawn to the characters and the story. This may have been written for the young adult audience but I'm 32 and a parent of four children, and still found the story to be well worth my time.

If you haven't read the stories, I encourage you to do so. Regardless, this film will be a treasured part of your movie collection and one you'll be sure to watch several times before you'll feel satisfied.
4848 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 16, 2011
As huge fans of Twilight, we really enjoyed the additional features provided in the 3rd disc. If you only want to watch the movie itself and you are not into extras, of course this would not be for you. For all of you who do like having, owning, seeing every aspect of these films, it is far worth paying the extra to own this, even if you own the 2 disc that was more readily available when the DVD first came out, it is worth the money to get this 3 disc edition.

Not only are there plenty of extra interview materials, but there are extra scenes not included with the 2 disc. Remember the infamous Biology scene where Edward seems repulsed by Bella? Imagine if he suddenly attacked her from behind and drug her from her seat, biting her and doing what he so desperately wanted to do. Well, that was an alternate idea for that scene, and you'll get to see it on the 3rd disc.

Maybe most importantly, we feel it was a horrible idea to change directors, feeling Catherine Hardwicke had done her homework and by far had the best grasp on the romance of the books and film and the subsequent directors have done a horrible job, getting away from the romance and changing the films into an action series. Like Titanic, it's a romance series at heart. While the boat sinking was a big part of Titanic, it would not have been nearly the hit it was without the well told romance between the main characters. Since changing directors, the series has greatly gone down hill due to forgetting that the romance is the true basis of the series.

Having realized we were not going to enjoy the subsequent films as much as the original, we have made a point to collect as much as possible from the original film. If you love Twilight, you will love this 3 disc collection. Thank you Catherine Hardwicke for such an amazing job on bringing Twilight to the screen. We ache that the fools who came late to the party didn't get it but had their way. Jim & Stephanie Patton
77 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
For me in the movies, few things are as satisfying as watching two old pros who have the game down cold play a scene together. In Twilight, when the old pros include Paul Newman and Gene Hackman, I can have a very good time. The old pros also include Susan Sarandon and James Garner, in a tale of murder, blackmail and regret.

Harry Ross (Paul Newman) is a retired cop who has been living in Los Angeles with his friends Catherine Ames (Susan Sarandon) and Jack Ames (Gene Hackman). The Ames were big movie stars once, but now Jack Ames is dying of cancer. Catherine Ames first husband disappeared mysteriously twenty years ago. Now it appears Jack and perhaps Catherine are being blackmailed about just what actually happened to the guy. Jack asks Harry to deliver a package of money to a certain address, but when he arrives he finds a retired, corrupt cop who has just been shot. Harry needs to find out what's happening, partly to protect his friends and partly because, in a way, he's been in love with Catherine for a long time. Into the mix is Raymond Hope (James Garner), another retired cop who for years worked as a security man for the movie studio the Ames did much of their work at. He was a well-paid 'clean-up' man. At one point he says, "Don't you ever get tired of all the beautiful people, Harry? Doesn't it ever bother you that they do whatever they want because there're people like you and me who'll clean up after them?" Also around are Liev Schreiber and Margo Martindale as small-time crooks on the make.

The story is right out of the Forties noir tradition, with a straight ahead story line, no fancy footwork and a nice 20 year-old mystery combined with current murders. Most of all, the movie has first-rate stars showing why they have star power. When Newman and Hackman play a scene together or when Newman and Garner do, you're getting free lessons in quality technique.

There is a low-key tone of sadness and regret about the story...aging, sickness, missed opportunites...which, for me, just adds to the richness. Most of all, however, there is Newman, Hackman, Sarandon and Garner. It may be a little unsettling to realize that their combined ages when they made this movie added up to 263 years, but experience and charm really pay off. I've always liked this movie a lot. The DVD looks just fine.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 9, 2009
I came into the Twilight series not expecting much. The books were, after all, marketed to the teen crowd, so I originally dismissed it. I didn't expect much from the film. I wanted to see it not for the story, but because I knew Robert Pattinson from "Harry Potter" and enjoy the vampire book/movie genre.

4 books and 7 viewings later, I am happy to report that I am now a happily obsessed "Twilighter."

Going into the movie, I found myself hooked within the first 10 minutes. As soon as the Cullen siblings walked through the cafeteria door, I knew I was in for the ride. And by the time Edward and Bella were sitting together at the restaurant in Port Angeles, I was smitten. The love story, the beautiful vampires, and the amazing chemistry between leads Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, made this film - for me - utterly irresistible. I knew I wanted to see it again as soon as it was over, and the female relatives that I went to see it with couldn't agree more.

7 viewings later, I am still obsessed. Like "Titanic" and all the wonderful Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell tv/movie adaptations before it, I was enthralled by the love story of Edward and Bella. Edward Cullen, a 108 year old vampire trapped in the body of a 17 year old, falls in love for the first time...to a human - a young unsuspecting girl named Isabella Swan. Bella becomes equally fascinated by Edward, and this mutual fascination soon grows into yearning and love. Theirs is a Romeo & Juliet like love story but this time it's not a family feud that keeps them apart, but the fact that Edward is a vampire and Bella is a human - the predator and the prey fall in love (or as Edward puts it, "...and so the lion falls in love with the lamb"). Within the story are some other conflicts, as Edward and his family's true nature must remain a secret, and as other vampires threaten Bella's life.

Author Stephenie Meyer has crafted an irresistible tale, and screenwriter Rosenberg Melissa Rosenberg does a fine job of staying faithful with the novel. Some scenes and plotlines are changed around or omitted in order to make it work on film, but the essentials are there. Director Catherine Hardwicke does a superb job of bringing all the elements together and guiding her young cast through the journey, so I was saddened to hear that she will not be helming the sequel.

The major breakthroughs in this film, however, are the young and talented leads - Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. What started out as a small independent film has now become a worldwide phenomenon and has catapulted Rob and Kristen to the brink of superstardom. And this is no accident. The charismatic and versatile Robert Pattinson is brilliant as Edward. He properly conveys the internal conflict that rages within Edward and brings it out in full force. When he's onscreen, you couldn't take your eyes off him. His Edward can be gentle, loving and tender, but also fearsome and dangerous. Kristen Stewart brings a beautiful and nuanced performance. She is exactly how I pictured Bella and she does an excellent job of bringing the character to life. The supporting cast is also wonderful. Of the supporting roles, Billy Burke (Charlie Swan), Ashley Greene (Alice Cullen), Kellan Lutz (Emmett Cullen) and Peter Facinelli (Carlisle Cullen) are standouts. I think everyone - with the exception of Nikki Reed's Rosalie Hale/Cullen (who I feel just doesn`t fit Rosalie physically) - are perfectly cast.

I am also a fan of the soundtrack and Carter Burwell's amazing score, and I highly recommend purchasing these as a companion to the dvd. I am thrilled that the dvd is finally coming, and I although the final specs are not yet available, I hope that Summit Entertainment will release a dvd version filled with extras, deleted/extended scenes and behind-the-scenes footage. I'm a huge fan of the books and I feel that the cast and crew of Twilight has done an amazing job of bringing one of my favorite books to life. I'm looking forward to New Moon, and I hope that it will be as good as, if not better than, the first film. This film is a gem and one of my favorite love stories ever. Bella and Edward has joined the ranks of Elizabeth and Darcy, John Thornton and Margaret Hale, Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester, Cathy and Heathcliff, Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater, and yes Romeo and Juliet, as two of my very favorite romantic couples that has ever graced the big and small screen.
2020 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on August 18, 2001
I can't believe how much people focus on Paul Newman in this movie. Gene Hackman is great. 70 year old actors are more capable than younger actors. Susan Sarandon looks wonderful... Stockard Channing has a great chemistry with Paul Newman. This movie will take you away to a place where loyalty still means something and people care about each other. James Gardner plays his part well. I don't like to reveal too much with a mystery, the other supporting characters are good. This is a gritty, true to life mystery. Reese Witherspoon was very fortunate to have this as one of her first movies, anyone with any sense would have taken their clothes off to work with this cast! She plays the spoiled daughter well. It compares to LA Confidential in my experience...
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 6, 2009
This is one of the most frightening displays of romance I've ever seen in my life. This is NOT a love story. Edward (male protagonist)is obsessive to the point of restraining order. He watches her sleep, follows her everywhere and is only interested because this is the one persons mind he cannot read. Bella (female protagonist) is about intriguing as a candy bar wrapper (an empty one at that).

Since I've read the books (occupational hazards of a librarian) I know this only gets worse. In a world of quality young adult literature where relationships are often shown as fleeting and impermanent, this story should not have been published let alone made into a movie.

After reading/viewing anything I have to ask: what's the point? In this instance I cannot come up with anything. What is this book/movie trying to say about relationships? Because this is scary, obsessed love, not fulfilling, lasting love.

P.S. Why do recent authors think they have personal license to change vampire lore?
5353 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 3, 2010
I'm a big Twilight Saga fan and after reading reviews of this 3 disc version of the movie Twilight I decided to purchase it and I wasn't disappointed. I thought that the extras on the 2nd & 3rd discs were great! I'm still undecided as to if I will spend the extra money to purchase the 3 disc version of New Moon or not, but I think that for any true Twilight Saga fan the 3 disc version of the movie Twilight is a good pick. Love it!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...