2,313 Reviews
 (1,254)

5.0 out of 5 stars Best edition of Twilight!!
This DVD of Twilight has 3 discs in it! The extras on each disc are awesome! If you are a true Twilight Fan, you'll want this edition!!
Disc 1 contains extended scenes not scene in theaters, audio commentary by director Catherine Hardwicke, Kristen & Robert, plus Music Videos from Muse, Paramore, Linkin Park & others.
Disc 2 contains a detailed 7 part...
Published on April 13, 2010 by sb-store

If I were rating this movie solely on quality of the film, it would get one star. if i were rating it solely on how much i love to watch it even though it's awful, it would get 5 stars. SO I averaged it and got 3.

Published on March 22, 2009 by A. King

5.0 out of 5 stars Best edition of Twilight!!, April 13, 2010
Disc 2 contains a detailed 7 part documentary that gives you the ulimate insider's look at how Twilight was created - from book to script to screen - plus never before seen deleted scenes.
Disc 3 contains a revealing conversation with Stephenie Meyer, intimate journeys with Robert in "Becoming Edward" and Kristen in "Becoming Bella" and more on the music from the film including Edward's piano concert.
This is the ultimate edition available of Twilight!

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh so terrible, but amazingly addicting. Love it, but wonder why., March 22, 2009

The dialogue is horrendous, the effects cheesy, the music (not the soundtrack which is great, but the score) indescribably awful. It looks like a made for TV movie.

However- I can't stop watching it. i saw it 3 times in the theater and pre-ordered my own copy. It entertains me. Plus, Edward is nice to look at... oh, James too. LOVE James.To me this movie is absolutely hysterical- where it doesn't intend to be. The scene where Edward first sees Bella in class and he looks as if he may throw up on her??? Great! The look that Billy Black and Edward exchange as they pass each other in their cars? Priceless. I love the baseball scene! But the crouch down and prepare to fight stance they take at the end... Can anybody say Power Rangers? But just mentioning all this makes me want to watch it again. I know it makes no sense. It just has that power.

I should be embarrassed to like this, but I'm not. I will watch it over and over again proudly. I will recommend it to anyone I can. Watch it and love it. But know that it's terrible and know that it can't compare to the book and that all of it's charm is due to it's cheesiness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Became a fan after the movie..., January 9, 2009
I had heard about the fantasy books by a friend when they first came out but didn't have the time to look into them. By the time the movie came out, I'd nearly forgotten about the book referral, but asked my hubby to take me as it looked like a good vampire romance flick. The scenery of the Pacific Northwest forests, rivers, and coastline was breathtaking and as a native to this area, it was like going out into my own backyard which made the film that more appealing. I was so captivated by the actors portrayal of the characters (the facial expressions and emotions brought out of the characters by Rob, Kristen, Peter, Nikki, and the rest were mesmerizing) and the depth of the back-story left me desiring more! The very next day after viewing the movie in the theater - I raced to the bookstore to grab the first book. I was hooked, read through all four books (plus went to the authors website to read the extra materials she had posted there) in a week. Then, still not satisfied, went back and saw the movie several more times - IN THE THEATER, something I've never felt compelled to do before - because I was so drawn to the characters and the story. This may have been written for the young adult audience but I'm 32 and a parent of four children, and still found the story to be well worth my time.

If you haven't read the stories, I encourage you to do so. Regardless, this film will be a treasured part of your movie collection and one you'll be sure to watch several times before you'll feel satisfied.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twilight 3 Disc Special Edition DVD, January 16, 2011
As huge fans of Twilight, we really enjoyed the additional features provided in the 3rd disc. If you only want to watch the movie itself and you are not into extras, of course this would not be for you. For all of you who do like having, owning, seeing every aspect of these films, it is far worth paying the extra to own this, even if you own the 2 disc that was more readily available when the DVD first came out, it is worth the money to get this 3 disc edition.

Not only are there plenty of extra interview materials, but there are extra scenes not included with the 2 disc. Remember the infamous Biology scene where Edward seems repulsed by Bella? Imagine if he suddenly attacked her from behind and drug her from her seat, biting her and doing what he so desperately wanted to do. Well, that was an alternate idea for that scene, and you'll get to see it on the 3rd disc.

Maybe most importantly, we feel it was a horrible idea to change directors, feeling Catherine Hardwicke had done her homework and by far had the best grasp on the romance of the books and film and the subsequent directors have done a horrible job, getting away from the romance and changing the films into an action series. Like Titanic, it's a romance series at heart. While the boat sinking was a big part of Titanic, it would not have been nearly the hit it was without the well told romance between the main characters. Since changing directors, the series has greatly gone down hill due to forgetting that the romance is the true basis of the series.

Having realized we were not going to enjoy the subsequent films as much as the original, we have made a point to collect as much as possible from the original film. If you love Twilight, you will love this 3 disc collection. Thank you Catherine Hardwicke for such an amazing job on bringing Twilight to the screen. We ache that the fools who came late to the party didn't get it but had their way. Jim & Stephanie Patton

5.0 out of 5 stars Obsessing over Twilight and can't wait for the DVD!!, January 9, 2009
I came into the Twilight series not expecting much. The books were, after all, marketed to the teen crowd, so I originally dismissed it. I didn't expect much from the film. I wanted to see it not for the story, but because I knew Robert Pattinson from "Harry Potter" and enjoy the vampire book/movie genre.

4 books and 7 viewings later, I am happy to report that I am now a happily obsessed "Twilighter."

Going into the movie, I found myself hooked within the first 10 minutes. As soon as the Cullen siblings walked through the cafeteria door, I knew I was in for the ride. And by the time Edward and Bella were sitting together at the restaurant in Port Angeles, I was smitten. The love story, the beautiful vampires, and the amazing chemistry between leads Rob Pattinson and Kristen Stewart, made this film - for me - utterly irresistible. I knew I wanted to see it again as soon as it was over, and the female relatives that I went to see it with couldn't agree more.

7 viewings later, I am still obsessed. Like "Titanic" and all the wonderful Jane Austen and Elizabeth Gaskell tv/movie adaptations before it, I was enthralled by the love story of Edward and Bella. Edward Cullen, a 108 year old vampire trapped in the body of a 17 year old, falls in love for the first time...to a human - a young unsuspecting girl named Isabella Swan. Bella becomes equally fascinated by Edward, and this mutual fascination soon grows into yearning and love. Theirs is a Romeo & Juliet like love story but this time it's not a family feud that keeps them apart, but the fact that Edward is a vampire and Bella is a human - the predator and the prey fall in love (or as Edward puts it, "...and so the lion falls in love with the lamb"). Within the story are some other conflicts, as Edward and his family's true nature must remain a secret, and as other vampires threaten Bella's life.

Author Stephenie Meyer has crafted an irresistible tale, and screenwriter Rosenberg Melissa Rosenberg does a fine job of staying faithful with the novel. Some scenes and plotlines are changed around or omitted in order to make it work on film, but the essentials are there. Director Catherine Hardwicke does a superb job of bringing all the elements together and guiding her young cast through the journey, so I was saddened to hear that she will not be helming the sequel.

The major breakthroughs in this film, however, are the young and talented leads - Robert Pattinson and Kristen Stewart. What started out as a small independent film has now become a worldwide phenomenon and has catapulted Rob and Kristen to the brink of superstardom. And this is no accident. The charismatic and versatile Robert Pattinson is brilliant as Edward. He properly conveys the internal conflict that rages within Edward and brings it out in full force. When he's onscreen, you couldn't take your eyes off him. His Edward can be gentle, loving and tender, but also fearsome and dangerous. Kristen Stewart brings a beautiful and nuanced performance. She is exactly how I pictured Bella and she does an excellent job of bringing the character to life. The supporting cast is also wonderful. Of the supporting roles, Billy Burke (Charlie Swan), Ashley Greene (Alice Cullen), Kellan Lutz (Emmett Cullen) and Peter Facinelli (Carlisle Cullen) are standouts. I think everyone - with the exception of Nikki Reed's Rosalie Hale/Cullen (who I feel just doesn`t fit Rosalie physically) - are perfectly cast.

I am also a fan of the soundtrack and Carter Burwell's amazing score, and I highly recommend purchasing these as a companion to the dvd. I am thrilled that the dvd is finally coming, and I although the final specs are not yet available, I hope that Summit Entertainment will release a dvd version filled with extras, deleted/extended scenes and behind-the-scenes footage. I'm a huge fan of the books and I feel that the cast and crew of Twilight has done an amazing job of bringing one of my favorite books to life. I'm looking forward to New Moon, and I hope that it will be as good as, if not better than, the first film. This film is a gem and one of my favorite love stories ever. Bella and Edward has joined the ranks of Elizabeth and Darcy, John Thornton and Margaret Hale, Jane Eyre and Edward Rochester, Cathy and Heathcliff, Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater, and yes Romeo and Juliet, as two of my very favorite romantic couples that has ever graced the big and small screen.

1.0 out of 5 stars Is this what love is supposed to be?, April 6, 2009
This is one of the most frightening displays of romance I've ever seen in my life. This is NOT a love story. Edward (male protagonist)is obsessive to the point of restraining order. He watches her sleep, follows her everywhere and is only interested because this is the one persons mind he cannot read. Bella (female protagonist) is about intriguing as a candy bar wrapper (an empty one at that).

Since I've read the books (occupational hazards of a librarian) I know this only gets worse. In a world of quality young adult literature where relationships are often shown as fleeting and impermanent, this story should not have been published let alone made into a movie.

After reading/viewing anything I have to ask: what's the point? In this instance I cannot come up with anything. What is this book/movie trying to say about relationships? Because this is scary, obsessed love, not fulfilling, lasting love.

P.S. Why do recent authors think they have personal license to change vampire lore?

1.0 out of 5 stars Much ado about nothing, August 20, 2009
The only people on earth who are allowed to sparkle are as follows...

1) Drag Queens. A Drag Queen who does not emit sparkly fabulousness from the core of their being is a very sad thing and should be given a hug.

2) David Bowie. Need I say more?

Someone needs to explain the why's and wherefore's of this whole "sparkly vampire" business to me. I really don't understand it at all. Going out in daylight... OK, Dracula could do it if he were well fed, so why not? But sparkles?

Anyway on to the meat of this review... (which will likely get thoroughly ignored as there seems to be so much hype over this flick)

As far as I can tell, Twilight has no plot. At all. There aren't any conflicts until the last 20 minutes or so. There isn't any drama. This is a vampire movie with no conflict among the main characters, only teen angst and Bella and Edward mooning over each other. The dialog between Edward and Bella would be better if it were done with semaphore flags. Thank goodness I had rifftrax going during those awkward silences. The really sad part is that neither of them really seems to have any real reason to angst over their boring lives. Nothing's really keeping them apart. The few glimpses of indistinguishable backup high schoolers didn't have anyone telling Bella what a horrible person she was and no one went to torment "the new girl."

Anything that could be remotely called interesting would have been centered around Bella's sheriff dad and the "maulings" (read: vampire attacks) he's investigating. But the script instead goes to focus on Bella and Edward's wangsting.

Anyone who thinks of Bella as a Mary Sue, I agree. This is perhaps the worst case of published marysueitis I have ever run across. Everyone likes her. She always gets her way. People drop everything to save her even if they have utterly no interest to do so. To make things worse, I found her to be a horrible character in general. There's one scene where one of the indistinguishable backup high schoolers is asking her out to the prom and she isn't paying the poor bit character the slightest whit of attention, preferring to gaze longingly at Edward in the distance. I'm sorry, but that's just rude and under most circumstances would probably make someone a bit miffed. I don't care if the poor guy is a bit character, I'd rather a small look at any of the their small dramas, because I could at least see that they had things going on in their lives from the tiny glimpses shown in the film.

Speaking of small bit characters, the best one is some poor construction or engineering guy in a hard hat who finds himself hunted by the "OMG bad vampires." I'll give the redshirt credit, the shadowplay on the screen says that he gave them a fight and with an iota more depth, he would have fought them off. :) Go redshirt, go! I'm told that scene was not in the books. It makes me lose all desire to ever read them.

As seems to be the trend for this movie, the villains aren't developed at all. They are clearly "OMG EVOL!!!1!!" because they act like, well, normal vampires and because they see Bella as an interesting snack. Were they given more depth or a motive at all, I probably would have started to root for them. As it was, I was bored silly.

Aesthetically speaking, the film wasn't terrible, although I could have done with less cool toned lighting. Kirsten Stewart is a pale deadpan enough without the camera making it even more obvious. Also, the soundtrack has a rather pretty piano piece in the middle, supposedly composed by Robert Pattinson. I hope he manages to get himself fired from the sequels before his entire career goes down the drain. He played a good Cedric in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.

I wouldn't recommend Twilight to anyone. No amount of pretty camera work or tiny scene additions could save this movie from a script that would have been better used as toilet paper.

1.0 out of 5 stars Atrocious in a thoroughly enjoyable way, March 23, 2009
I can't recall the last time I had this much FUN with a poorly-made movie. I honestly can't decide whether I want to give it 'one star' for how genuinely terrible it is, or 'five stars' for how enjoyable it was to be appalled by.

It's a sort of tradition amongst my local friends and I to rent movies we fully expect to be bad and watch them together; often we're just bored and, by the time the ending credits roll, feeling that we just lost two hours of our lives that we shall never get back. This one, though, stands out as one of the greats.

If you're new to the series, the premises is this: Bella Swan (yes, 'beautiful swan') moves from her arid Phoenix home to Forks, Washington, where she meets and falls in love with a dour and seemingly perpetually-nauseated boy named Edward Cullen. She soon discovers his secret - that he's a vampire! - by Googling "cold ones," a term she finds in a book of Native American mythology. One would expect that Googling this term would actually yield many pages pertaining to beer. Or maybe that's just me. Anyway, a very clingy and angst-ridden relationship ensues, and after playing baseball in a thunderstorm with Edward's family, Bella meets a nasty vampire named James, who immediately develops his own obsession with her.

Unlike Edward, though, James wants to eat Bella. Really badly.

Most of this takes place in the latter half of the movie. The first half is comprised mostly of Bella moping around her new town and exchanging silent stares with Edward.

Ah, Edward.

It gave me pleasure to discover exactly how much the lead actor, Robert Pattinson, despises Edward Cullun.

"When I read it I was convinced Stephenie was convinced she was Bella and it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published. It was like reading her sexual fantasy, especially when she said it was based on a dream and it was like, 'Oh I've had this dream about this really sexy guy,' and she just writes this book about it. Like some things about Edward are so specific, I was just convinced, like, 'This woman is mad. She's completely mad and she's in love with her own fictional creation.' And sometimes you would feel uncomfortable reading this thing..." "...the more I read the script, the more I hated this guy."

Edward Cullen has a completely inconsistent personality, and Pattinson solved this by playing him as, in his own words, "as a manic-depressive who hates himself."

Now, I understand some preteen girls actually find Edward's various advances upon Bella to be romantic - like admitting to sneaking into her room to watch her sleep for months before he even made an attempt to be nice to her. I'm led to wonder how some fathers would feel if they knew their young daughters admired such qualities in future boyfriends. Personally I think Edward is downright creepy, but as Pattinson apparently meant to portray him this way, kudos to Mr. Pattinson!

For Bella's part, she's an unabashed Mary Sue, with every male in town falling all over himself to befriend, date, or, in one scene, gang rape her. It's Edward, however, who wins her inexplicable devotion, mainly by following her around and saying things like, "We shouldn't be friends," or, "Stay away from me!" in a low menacing voice.

By the end of the movie, after lots of heaving and sighing and rushed special-effects, we're meant to believe that the two are star-crossed lovers, though they seem more like an abusive relationship in the making. With the vampire James dispatched, Edward and Bella slaver over each other's necks at prom, and James' female companion Victoria slinks away in the backdrop, doubtlessly plotting mischief.

There's also a sub-plot straight from the underwhelming "Underworld" series regarding a rivalry between werewolves and vampires, but it's barely touched on in this installment.

I wonder, given his public slandering of the franchise, whether Mr. Pattinson will reprise his role as Edward in the next film. A part of me is looking forward to it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Twilight Extras, June 3, 2010
I'm a big Twilight Saga fan and after reading reviews of this 3 disc version of the movie Twilight I decided to purchase it and I wasn't disappointed. I thought that the extras on the 2nd & 3rd discs were great! I'm still undecided as to if I will spend the extra money to purchase the 3 disc version of New Moon or not, but I think that for any true Twilight Saga fan the 3 disc version of the movie Twilight is a good pick. Love it!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, May 13, 2009
I just got my Ultimate Blu-ray edition in the mail and it isn't entirely what I was expecting. The blu-ray disc, the photos, and the soundtrack are awesome, however, the jewelry box is made out of cardboard and the bookmark is nothing special. The bookmark just says Twilight on it. I have seen better bookmarks on other websites sold separately. The bracelet is decent. The watch looks like a kids watch that you can purchase out of a gumball machine. I am mostly just happy to have the dvd, but for $80, I was expecting the quality of the other items to be much, much better than they were. Overall, it probably would have been better to buy the blu-ray disc separately and then shop around at other websites, like Etsy.com, for the other items made from better material.

Twilight (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition) [Blu-ray]
Twilight (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition) [Blu-ray] by Catherine Hardwicke (Blu-ray - 2010)
Used & New from: $0.79