The Twilight Zone BR set on sale today: safe to buy yet?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 4, 2012 10:05:58 AM PDT
donna dias says:
I remember when this set came out there were several problems with it, especially audio wise. They apparently rereleased it last month but I have this sinking feeling that Amazon is going to send people the old set to get rid of stock. I know they have done things like that before and they are pretty shady about returns in situations like that(they have tried to make me pay for a return in a similar situation, had to waste 5 minutes talking to their CS who know very little english).

Is there a way to identify which set I have before opening it? I don't want to bother with a half broken set and Amazon doesn't have the common sense to make a new page for the new version of it.

Any help would be appreciated. I've already ordered, I just want to know what i'm getting into.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 11:34:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2012 11:38:39 AM PDT
Alan says:
The new release version is an actual set with 5 season boxes slipped into the box.
What you're referring to was a "bundle" that Amazon put together - buy all five seasons and they'll offer the bundle at a reduced or special price.
Amazon is not the distributor nor maker of these, so any technical problem would go back to the distributor as defective product.
Secondary marketplace sellers are listing the season sets - and now the box set (here on Amazon and eBay and everywhere else), but where they get their product from is a big question as cheap blu-ray bootleg items are now flowing into the country.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 12:16:51 PM PDT
I just talked to an Amazon customer service rep about this. When I asked about the problems with older releases, he was very quick to tell me that this boxed set (released on June 5, 2012) is not a repackaging of those releases.

He also told me to call back if there were any problems with the set I receive. He mentioned the options of both replacement and refund. I don't ever recall being told that by a rep before.

I don't think an Amazon rep would say anything about refunds if the manufacturer was not standing behind this product. The most likely scenario in my mind is that the manufacturer heard enough about problems with the past release(s) to fix those bugs for an improved reissue (as far as the product page says, the only difference in content between this and the 5-season bundle is the box).

I guess there is the possibility that the manufacturer is guaranteeing these sets to Amazon simply because Amazon has had too many sets returned and is not happy about it, and that the only difference is in fact the box. We should believe it is really an improved product when we see it. Check it out as much as you can in the first 30 days after you get it, and compare it to what you heard about previous problems. And post your findings here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2012 5:03:13 PM PDT
donna dias says:
Yea, i'll definitely watch as much as I can this month. I thought they had a complete series page before this but I guess it was just the bundle page.

Anyway, been wanting this forever so i'm stoked. I use a PS3 for BR so I know I won't have compatibility issues. I just hope the audio is fine.

Posted on Jun 27, 2014 1:46:16 PM PDT
Jack Brown says:
@Shatner the Hutt (hehe) ... I would not read too much into what a telephone customer rep tells you. They have zero info about the manufacturer support, policy, or DOA rate. What he/she told you is basically correct however- if you get a defective copy (even from original press) Amazon will let you return it. Or better yet if it is "defective" i.e. their fault, they will pay return shipping. That is the basic policy. Some makers have higher defect rates (i.e. WB, HBO, etc.) on sets but that policy is universal for Amz. The only reason to question to raise is because "audio irregularities" can't be physically verified - but the Rep you talk to for a return will only flag it is "defective" and not really why. Should be no hassle (based on my experience on Amz 10 years as customer, 5 years as a 3rd party seller)... don't worry and buy at whatever price you like.

I just received the "multi-format" set (ASIN B007I8KXQ8) from 3rd party seller American Standard. Amz price today about $178. It is in fact the Blu-Ray set issued 2012. Per Image Entertainment (maker) there is no multi-format (dvd + blu-ray) edition - it is really just a listing error on Amz. They literally have TWO listings for the Blu-Ray edition. I have opened it, no problems at all physically, not sure what to look for re: audio bugs? But from what others report it sounds like the 2012 re-master resolved that.

The other "blu-ray" format listing looks exactly the same, but with a different listing (ASIN B005PTNVMU) and $50 more... Amz price today $236. Well, if the photo is any indicator this more expensive listing may not actually have the outer slip case (holder for 5 season cases). The slip case is nice enough but flimsy, not much loss I think. Anyway, yesterday the Amz page showed all 3 listings separately, today both M-F and BR and bundled together and you have to expand the MF to see BR (.

I won't tell Amazon to merge M-F and BR because it will drive the price up on you. ;)

Based on my experience feel free to order Multi-Format and expect Blu-Ray (only). For price checking- put in those ASIN numbers to CamelCamelCamel.com and you can see price history- and even setup an email alert for "low price" etc. So next time a New copy is <$150 you will get alerted, if you can wait that long. Just a suggestion.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Jul 4, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 27, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about