1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple, small and (hopefully) tough, February 15, 2007
This review is from: Twinhead Durabook D13RI 13.3" Notebook PC (Intel Pentium M Processor 740 (Centrino), 512 MB RAM, 80 GB Hard Drive, and DVD+/-RW Burner (Personal Computers)
I bought the D13RI after a brief encounter with the 15" N15RI. That unit died after a week of use but hopefully was just a lemon and not typical. I've now had the 13.3" D13RI for 3 weeks of heavy use and had no real problems. But since I've had experience with both I'll try to compare them here as you can't find them in stores.

I like the looks of the D13. It's not as sleek as an Apple or Vaio,but the carbon fibre look on the outside is more attractive than the painted metal on the N15RI. The overall sizing is comfortable both for desk work and hauling around in a briefcase. Set up is easy with very little software preloaded. Keyboard and touchpad have a nice feel. i HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH THE wIfI AND MY GENERAL IMPRESSION IS THAT THE RECEPTION IS NOT AS GOOD ON THIS UNIT AS SOME OTHER NOTEBOOKS AND THAT THE iNTEL WIFI SOFTWARE SOMETIMES GETS CONFUSED. Sorry about the caps. Battery life is good, definitely will ad more ram to try and improve speed. Biggest gripe is lack of connectivity. It has only 2 USB ports (both on the right side) , could use two more on the other side (where the power cable goes), needs firewire and a card reader and bluetooth would be nice (apparently available on the 14" model). bUT DEFINITELY NEEDS MORE THAN 2 usb CONNECTIONS IN THE MODERN WORLD (MY PORTABLE HARDDRIVE REQUIRES 2 BY ITSELF. N15RI has 3 USB and firewire...still not much but better. Haven't really tested the durability...not brave enough to pour liquid on it or drop it, but read several reviews that suggested it is durable...got to be better than my last two (Acer and HP, both disasters). Certainely a lot cheaper than Panasonic toughbook, but I wonder if it's really a better choice than recent offerings from Toshiba and Fujistsu that offer spill resitant keyboards and harddrive protection in more sophisticated machines. All in all happy with it and like the size and form factor much better than the similar but bulky N15RI. Also it does not run nearly as hot as the N15RI. Not sure about Twinhead customer service based on my experience with the last one, but crossing my fingers.