Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports STEM

Flavor: English Breakfast|Change

on February 21, 2012
Have been drinking Twinings Earl Gray for the last 10 years or so. However the last batch from Amazon was so mild and lacking the flavor that I had grown to love, that it was almost bland. Do not know how genuine the report on Wikipedia is, but it seems Twininigs, in their infinite wisdom has tweaked the original formula in April 2011. Going by my experience, it sounds about right.
Sad when a company has to tweak a great and well loved flavor, and still sell it as 'classic'.

I will not be ordering it, till they bring back the original 'classic'

Shame Twinings.

Update: And just so you folks know..Twinings had said that they would send me a pack direct, to make up for my dissatisfaction. It is over 3 months and I am still waiting. I will not hold my breath. Looks like they changed their customer service formula too!
1515 comments| 81 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2007
A nice, medium-light strength black tea. I drink 2+ cups of hot tea a day, selecting which kind of tea by time of day, whether with food or not, kind of food, etc. I like this in the evening, black (i.e., no additives, like sugar, milk, or lemon), without food -- just a hot cup of comfort to enjoy while reading a book. It's also nice with "delicate" treats - say, angel food cake, lemon cheesecake - since it will complement the food without overpowering it. Or, when you're getting over the flu and want something hot and steamy that won't feel like it's etching your stomach lining.

I don't know that I'd say Twinings is the best of the English teas, but I'd put it near the top. (I'm quite fond of Fortnum and Mason, but that is REALLY hard to find, even in metropolitan areas, and it's not cheap. I guess that's what happens when the vendor is known as "purveyor to the queen".)

Here in rural MN, I can't always find Twinings, let alone Darjeeling. So, it was nice to find this at Amazon, and at a better unit price than when I do find Twinings of any kind. A case is a lot of tea (especially since I bought cases of a couple of others!), but each bag is individually packaged, so it should keep its flavor. (And they make nice additions to a gift basket or to tuck into a birthday card.)
on June 18, 2006
Twinings English Breakfast Tea is by far the best black tea sold in teabag form that you can get on the retail market. Rich, full bodied and spicy. It's great alone or lightly sweetened. I drink a cup every morning for my caffeine rush, and it's MUCH healthier then drinking coffee! The price to buy Twinings English Breakfast Tea in bulk from Amazon is truly a great deal. Normally, in the grocery store, a 20 bag box sells for $4.99. This 50 count x 6 boxes makes it about $4.75 a box, but for 50!!! Not 20! If you're a tea lover, then trust me, you will love this tea. And buy it from Amazon, cause you can't beat their price!
55 comments| 57 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 10, 2013
I used my first tea from this large order this morning (50-COUNT BOXES, 6 PACK). It is awfully bland. I thought I was getting a good deal - but not if I can't stand to drink it. I wish I had listened to several reviewers who advised that Twinings had changed their blend of tea. I loved my Twinings Earl Grey Tea. I now have read on the Internet that Twinings changed their blend of tea for the Earl Grey blend. The company claims it was only for the UK market, but I find that very hard to believe after drinking this cup of tea and reading many other reviews. I will never buy another box of Twinings Earl Grey tea. I will try other brands. I will write to Twinings and see if they send me a coupon for another blend. Very disappointed!!!
on February 18, 2008
I only drink coffee in the morning and usually only one cup. I'm a pharmacist and used to drink coffee all day long for a little pick-me-up when my energy flagged, but the coffee sometimes bothered my stomach since I drank so much. My doctor suggested I switch to tea.
I started drinking L****n tea, you know the one in the yellow and red box, what did I know about tea? I was working at the time with a young Chinese man (a friend of my son's) and he was a Star Trek fan, as am I. When I went out for a container of tea one day I asked if he wanted anything and he asked for Earl Grey. I asked why and he told me that Capt. Pickard on Gen II always ordered "Earl Grey hot" from the replicator. I laughed as I had seen that too and just never connected with the brand and had one also.
Well, I liked it so much that it became my favorite tea. I still have English Breakfast and some Chinese teas sometimes, but I must have Earl Grey with my dinner. Sometimes people wonder at my "tea sophistication" and I don't tell them where my preference actually comes from.If they only knew.
66 comments| 49 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 22, 2012
Upon ordering this tea I thought it would be a strong and dark earl grey. Instead I received a tea that is very bland and in order to improve on the flavor I have to double up on my bags.

This tea is about half as strong as Bigelow's earl grey blend.
on November 1, 2014
I've been drinking Twinings Earl Grey as my main tea since the 1970s... loved the rich flavor and aroma! A year or two ago I noticed a general weakening in the flavor and wondered if it was me or the tea. Then I found the stories about how Twinings was changing their classic blend. It was still drinkable, but so bland that I found myself not looking forward to drinking a cup.

However, the first tea bag out of the box I just ordered from Amazon is far worse than what I'd been getting lately. It's not only bland, but has a distinctly "soapy" taste... horribly unpeasant!

I'd really wonder if my taste buds were going bad if I hadn't experienced this sudden change - from the last bag out of a previous box to the first out of the most recent order. Twinings Earl Grey has gone from bland to undrinkable. I think the other boxes are going back to Amazon.
on January 3, 2016
I am an experienced tea drinker and thought I had a perfect tea until I rediscovered Twining's Irish Breakfast. It is perfect only if you like your tea rich and malty and well caffeinated, as we do.

One of the tricks is to let it steep for a long period of time. 10 minutes is not too long!

Believe it or not, but it reheats well in the mircrowave.
on June 7, 2014
At the beginning I felt kinda tinge in it.. but now I got used. I do not drink any of tea in tea bag usually, only tea leaves of a good quality.. and I drink this- it means I like it. I'd not drink trash, guys.
review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image review image
on October 1, 2013
I drink tea every morning and usually enjoy Tazo Earl Grey. I have tried Twining's Irish Breakfast tea a couple years back and thought it was fantastic, so I thought I would try their Earl Grey, seeing as they are the first company to ever mass produce it. I made a cup and was very disappointed.

The tea really had no flavor. It was very weak and I could taste the teabag even more than the tea. I brewed another cup with less water and for a longer time, but the result was the same. Apparently the tea flavor was changed a couple of years back, and like so many companies these days trying to save money, it was probably changed for the worse to be cheaper. That is a shame for a company with so much history. I will not buy this tea again and will be hesitant about any other Twinings teas in the future in fear that they may try to "tweak" the recipes of those teas and I will again waste my money.