Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Twins! Pregnancy, Birth and the First Year of Life, Second Edition
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 6, 1999
At last! A book that I can recommend to the hundreds of couples who are hungry for information about the special pregnancy they are going though. This is a positive, well written book that parents will turn to again and again. The Elizabeth Noble book is scary and so negative. This easy to read book is not only a joy to read from cover to cover, but also well indexed so parents can go directly to the chapters they need. Most parents expecting twins cannot find material,let alone information that is both practical and up to date. I publish childrens books for families of multiples and receive up to 30 calls a day which mostly consist of Moms and Dads in shock over the news that they are having twins or more! This book fills an important need and I am happy to send my customers to buy it. What a great shower gift and along with the authors 2nd book, "Caring for your Premature Baby," these parents will be fully prepared to be knowledgeable concerning this wonderful time in their lives. I only wish that it had been available when my daughter was expecting her twins. Don't walk,run and get this book,read it and then relax,enjoy this special time. God Bless you all.
on July 9, 1998
My husband and I are the parents of four month old twins and got this book about a month before our daughters were born (at 36 weeks). It has been great! We bought the Elizabeth Noble book early on in the pregnancy and did not find it uplifting and, while it had a lot of information, the tone was generally negative and judgmental. I happen to be nursing both of my babies but it was clear to me that, while the writers of TWINS! were encouraging breast feeding, they were also trying to support mothers who chose or need to bottle feed. I felt like TWINS! offered lots of information (we really liked the list of questions to ask a potential pediatrician and I think it helped us make the right choice). The focus on seeing yourself and your doctors as members of a team was extremely helpful. I still refer to the book alot and would recommend it to any expectant parents of twins. I give it four stars. How about sequels for the toddler and elementary years?
on May 18, 2003
I was extremely disappointed in this book and am not sure why so many people gave it such high praise. If you haven't read any other books about pregnancy, birth, or infants I suppose this book provides some good general background. However, I was looking for more in-depth discussions of how twins specifically develop during pregnancy and in their first year, how they relate to each other, and how I can better meet their needs and help them to thrive. Instead I found a lot of general comments such as, "...you will need to decide whether or not you want to put your twins in two cribs, or co-sleep them in one." Obviously I will have to make this decision, but the book offers absolutely no perspective on how to decide, the benefits of each arrangement, etc. Again this book provides decent general perspective on babies, but it simply takes the basic information one finds in other, more thorough, books and replaces the word "baby" with the plural "babies" - offering little or no insight into the deeper challenges and decisions involved in parenting twins. In addition, I found the round table discussions somewhat difficult to follow and not terribly helpful. I do not recommend this book.
on January 29, 2000
I am currently 28 weeks pregnant with fraternal twins and this book has been a great help to me. The book's monthly sections on fetal and maternal progress are missing from many twins books, and are a god-send to anyone expecting twins or more. I especially appreciate the sections on how to make your other children comfortable with the idea of new babies during your pregnancy, and how to include them in your new family structure post-partum.
The only problems I have with this book are pretty minor. I would've appreciated longer, more detailed sections on pregnancy itself and less of the forum discussions by parents of twins. Although interesting, the forum discussions are far less useful to me than hard facts. Also, for a book on twins, there is a real lack of information on the possible complications a mother of twins may face during her pregnancy. When I suffered an abruption of the placenta 3 weeks ago, it was not this book that helped me one bit, but my old standard What to Expect When You're Expecting. I really feel this book could be improved by a section on pregnancy complications.
For anyone who is expecting twins, I would definitely suggest you purchase this book. I would also recommend that you buy a good book on high risk pregnancies as well.
VINE VOICEon February 15, 2002
I found this in a bookstore ... where it was the only book on twins anywhere in my hometown. It's a fascinating read and helps ease the jitters in this new mom-to-be!! It's very helpful and with week-by-week guides to your symptoms as you go through pregnancy. For example, did you know that when you're carrying twins, the hormones are raging twice as hard than in mothers carrying just one baby ... and that morning sickness may continue throughout the whole pregnancy.
I am so glad that I found this book ~~ it's one I keep in the bathroom whenever I need a tibit of advice or encouragement!
2-15-02
on December 14, 2000
Being pregnant with twins, I have found it difficult to find good information about this unique type of pregnancy. This book has good information, month by month, but I found that it did not answer many of my questions and concerns, or not in enough detail. The "roundtable" discussions in each chapter did not correspond to the monthly developments and were therefore fairly useless. I found the ultrasound images and the illustrations very useful to help put things in perspective each month. Overall, this book is a good supplement but I think that Barbara Luke's book had much more complete and detailed information.
on July 22, 2003
I am so glad that I didn't buy this book as my sole means of sussing out important twin information. Informative, yes, but there were many points left out & a lot of silly little sections of parent conversations that could have been easily excluded. I also found that I was able to skim & the skip the whole first section of the book because while interesting to some, I didn't have the time or the need to read in detail about how twins come to be. You'd think if you were having twins, you'd already know that from that initial conversation with your doctor, right? Overall, it was nice to have a book just on twins, but the singleton books seem to have a lot more of the basics.
on January 20, 2003
I have been somewhat happy with this book; however, it really focuses on Fraternal Twins as opposed to Identical Twins. Hoping the author will read this before they offer an update- one of the most important topics for identical twin mothers to be is on Twin to twin transfusion. Although two pages are noted in the information, only one is accurate and it is just a listing of a place that offers information/assistance for this syndrome. The first chapter also begins by saying there are four identifiers of identical twins and then never continues to out line or discuss these four things. I have found some info good, but these two other issues, make me wonder what else is missing. I am only 4 months into my pregnancy so I am sure I will find something else within this book that lacks complete information. Sorry to give a bad review- that wasn't my hope when I made the purchase. Hope this helps others!
on September 30, 2004
My twins will be a year old next month and I have used this book constantly since early in my pregnancy when I received it as a gift. I came to the site to order a copy for a friend who just found out she's pregnant with twins and decided to write because I saw a review that said this book had "doom and gloom: and I could not disagree more! I went through my pregnancy with this book and then right on into my babys' first year and used it as my first reference all the time. I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone pregnant with twins.
on January 9, 2001
I really liked this book the best of all the books I purchased on having twins. It addresses the problems and concerns that come with expecting twins but does not focus entirely on them. This was especially nice for me since I had a problem free pregnancy and wanted a positive view. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who receives the wonderful news of a multiple pregnancy.