Published on August 23, 2005 by A. Ryan

2.0 out of 5 stars great eye candy - little else
Published on February 27, 2010 by Linda Beaty

5.0 out of 5 stars Convenient kit. Fun, clever designs. Great way to start quilling!, August 23, 2005
This review is from: Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything With Simple Paper Strips (Klutz) (Spiral-bound)
Ever found yourself rolling up odd bits of paper, cinema ticket stubs, food wrappers, etc. in a moment of distraction? Well this is your lucky day my friend; you could put that undiscovered skill to use in an old art form known as quilling. Want a fast greeting card? A clever gift package tag decoration? A cute accent in your memory book? Something to frame and hang on your wall? Quilling will do the job nicely while impressing the heck out of your friends and it's just plain *easy*. Really! Once you see the simple diagrams in the step-by-step photo layouts you'll be asking yourself why you never thought to do this yourself.

In a nutshell, you take various lengths of narrow, colored paper strips, twirl them tightly around a special quilling tool (or a toothpick, or a stick pin if you're really advanced) and glue them down in various configurations to make artistic shapes. You could form realistic looking flowers, birds, bugs, an alphabet of letters, and even cartoony animals. Talk about a cheap hobby, especially if you take the time to cut your own strips of paper. Or, just make them by running them through a paper shredder.

Twirled Paper is one of those Klutz kit books that has everything you need to get started on quilling, or "paper twirling" as Klutz calls it. Here's what is included with the book: a lot of colorful narrow paper strips, a quilling tool, glue and several googly eyes (for the animals you'll make). The book itself is a practical spiral-bound to lay flat, the pages are made out of that slick wipe-clean type cardstock. After a simple section on pinching and finger shaping your coils, you're off to things like fish, UFOs, cats and flowers. I have to say, Klutz made this book fun and upbeat to appeal to kids 8 years old through teens, but if I were just starting out now as an adult I'd be enjoying this very much and use a lot of these designs in my own greeting card projects. I don't think I'll be able to let my kid have it when he turns 8 next year!:)

-Andrea, aka Merribelle

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books out there., October 31, 2005
If you are like me and looking for something not so girly or full of flowers, this is the book for you. I have several quilling books and they all have flowers in them. Nothing boyish. This book has butterflies, dragonflies, fish, octapus, mermaid, star fish, farm animals, an alphabet, aliens, a penguin, owl, flamingo, peacock, and assortment of bugs and insects, food, a chameleon, monkey, frog, cats and dogs and an assortment of ideas/examples. I absolutely love this book and would recommend it to anyone. If you scrapbook and you have boys, get this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun - complete kit to learn fun quilling., May 11, 2006
Quilling, or paper filigree, is back in crafting style. It's showing up on scrapbooking pages and homemade cards.

I wanted to try this craft I remember from many years ago. A traditional snowflake kit has sat in my projects bin for a long while, untouched. Then I saw the author of Twirled Paper on the Carol Duvall show. The fantastic underwater scene in bright colors and outrageous shapes was not the same quilling. I was intrigued, and I had a blast with this kit in a book.

The designs are unique - animals, bugs, fish, aliens, food and letters. The book is colorful and friendly. Quilling is easy enough to teach children, while there are plenty of designs to keep busy at all skill levels. The designs are so creative and fun that I was inspired to create my own.

The book comes with everything you need to quill, except for some basic household supplies - waxed paper, straight pins, ruler, toothpicks. The kit includes: the quilling tool, glue, googly eyes, and lots of quilling strips in great colors.

The first quilling technique is tight coils. Very easy and explained well in the text.

Next, we moved on to loose coils, which are used in most projects and are turned into shapes to form your designs. Many different shapes are shown in a visual glossary, with diagrams. I referred back here as I made the designs.

I followed right along with the pictures and directions to make a flamingo.

If you would like to try quilling, buy this book. It's a great for learning quilling, with a casual tone and creative designs. I'm ready for my lacy snowflakes kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely for grownups, too!, July 19, 2004
d papercrafter who's fairly new to quilling, so I've been looking for new patterns and ideas. I happened to come across this book in the children's section of my local bookstore, and I loved the gorgeous photos and clear instructions. The ideas are extremely creative and can be adapted in many ways. Having a kit of supplies attached is icing on the cake! In short, I like this book the best out of many books I've perused - including the ones geared toward adults. Definitely worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great scrapbook ideas, July 3, 2004
I LOVED this book. The instructions are simple and the projects are adorable. I will definately use them in my scrapbook. The projects are appropriate for boys, girls, children and adults. Best of all, the book comes with everything that you need to complete the projects (even little wiggle eyes). This book is worth twice the cost!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for rainy day at gramma's, June 26, 2004
jeanine dagenais (Escanaba, Michigan) - See all my reviews
I was happy to see projects in this book very appropriate for boys as well as girls. Ms Lee made this craft book fun and is extremely creative. She thinks out of the box. Everything you need is included and the instructions are easy to follow. The book is fun to read and definitely at a kids level. Wonderful picture instructions. Love the greeting card ideas. I have recommended this book to others.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent resource for arts and crafts programs, March 25, 2004
Maria Munoz (Capiz, Philippines) - See all my reviews
A wonderful book - easy instructions, beautiful projects. Everything is very nicely illustrated that there is little chance for making mistakes. Even a novice crafter can create beautiful twirled paper projects. The book also gives a brief history of filigree or quilling - what Klutz calls "twirling". An excellent resource book for art teachers and therapists. With teacher guidance, children as young as six can re-create the projects in this book. Even with mistakes, the projects come out beautiful! The best Klutz craft book ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! What a great book, April 2, 2004
By A Customer
I bought this book for my niece but it was so cool I ended up keeping it for myself and buying her another one. The projects are easy to do and hilarious: aliens, bugs and the funniest fish you've ever seen. Finally, quilling projects that are as funny as they are fun.

2.0 out of 5 stars great eye candy - little else, February 27, 2010
Linda Beaty "birdbeaty" (Arlington, Tennessee United States) - See all my reviews
Lots of really cute pictures - but I bought it to make certain items that I saw on the cover and in the book. Well - much to my surprise, the instructions(lengths of paper, etc) for all of the items I wanted to make were not included. What a major disappointment. I am an experienced quiller, so I can probably figure it all out, but it would have been so nice to have instructions for all of the pictures. Not so few. To say I'm sorry I purchased this book would be an understatement.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great For All Ages!!!, February 21, 2006
I am a senior. This is my first quilling book. The projects are cute, colorful and interesting to make. The instructions are simple and easy to follow. My friend's children (girls of 10 & 7)saw this book and loved it, so I bought another one for them. Surprisingly, the 7-year-old can twirl the paper strips better than I do. You don't really need anything extra if you have this book -- the multicolor paper strips, the wand for twirlling and even the glue are all provided. Highly recomanded for any one of any age who wants to do quilling and it is not difficult to learn.

Twirled Paper: Make Almost Anything With Simple Paper Strips (Klutz)
Used & New from: $0.01