5.0 out of 5 stars A Lost Masterpiece
Published on February 18, 2004 by SandmanVI

3.0 out of 5 stars Synthie-Pop, with a "Twist" of Goth...
Xymox is light enough to please synth-pop fans, and dark enough to be somewhat gothic. Overall pretty unique style, with a cool mix of sounds and tempos. Deep vocals and angst filled lyricism add to the ambience.
Some of my favorites: "Evelyn"/"Obsession"/"Craving"/"The River."
Worth checking out: De/Vision, Distain,...
Published on January 12, 2001 by Morado

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lost Masterpiece, February 18, 2004
SandmanVI (Glen Allen, VA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
Xymox' (formerly Clan of Xymox... and they have since returned to the "Clan of" moniker) `Twist of Shadows' is truly one of the lost masterpieces of the late 80's. It was, is and shall forever be a wonderful work of mysterious dark synth music, perfectly balanced halfway between `Substance'-era New Order and The Sisters of Mercy. The album was more electronic than their previous, more-Goth releases and combined ominous sounds with moments that were uplifting and hopeful.
"Evelyn" opens the album with an orchestral flourish, not unlike the way "Plainsong" opens The Cure's `Disintegration', which evolves into a haunting yet strangely danceable piece about yearning and longing. "Obsession", also excellent, has a similar vibe and format. Next up is the Goth masterpiece "Craving" that could have been ripped straight from the Sisters `Floodland'; it features the kind of juggernaut bass line that a Goth power song should. What follow are 2 ballads, something that Xymox had never done before: "Blind Hearts" is the most pop of anything on the album and "The River" is a minimal number sounding a bit like a clone of Peter Murphy's "My Last Two Weeks". On the 2nd half of the disc you can find "A Million Things" and "In the City", which are both energetic and moody blending synth, bass and wet-effected guitars. "Imagination" may be the best song on the album, yet oddly is the only one where female member Anka Wolbert replaces Ronny Moorings' baritone voice on lead vocals. The programming is very reminiscent of New Order's "True Faith", but the feel is more uplifting and hopeful. The album winds down with the dreamy, atmospheric instrumental "Clementina".
I have yet to see the revival of interest that this release deserves. While Clan of Xymox has had a resurgence, this album is deserving of more credit. Perhaps it is seen as the transition to Xymox' weaker years where they tried to go more directly into the pop mainstream - that's a shame.

5.0 out of 5 stars Too good to describe in words, February 22, 2000
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
This late 80's release by captures the turn of the decade great with it's late 80's sound mixed with a foward look into the 90's. Unfortunately, it came out at a time when I was in junior high, & it wasn't so easy to find out more about bands, like you can these days off the internet, & I didn't even find out who did this song until last year. After hearing "Imagination" at a club after a looong absence of not hearing it, I had to get it so I could have that song on cd because I never got it recorded in junior high, being the tape-off-the-radio junkie that I was. This album gives me the same mood that dark "pop" bands like New Order and Depeche Mode do for me...peppy (at times) with a a strange, hard-to-describe darkness under it, but of course, it's a lot better and meaningful than anything labeled "pop" these days could ever be. The band on this album reminds me of a darker Pet Shop boys, although I haven't had a chance to hear their other albums as Clan of Xymox yet (I'll do that eventually). When the 1st minute of "Evelyn", with it's orchestral like beginning, I was totally satisfied, & luckily you can expect the rest of the album to be just as good. For me, it's great to listen to, especially when I'm not in a good mood, because it's like being taken out of reality for almost an hour, and makes me feel better somehow afterward. Although I'm not much into lyrics and what they mean, the lyrics on this album make me listen for once, which few albums do. In comparison sound-wise to other bands other than the ones mentioned already, "Blind Hearts" reminds me of The Fixx (the guitar in "Red Skies to be exact"), & you can't deny the Pink Floyd-like vocals in "Tonight". It's hard to say what songs stand out, because they're all good, but "Imagination" still stands out, even 10 years after I 1st heard it, & "The River" is also great. I got this album out of mere curiousity, & I hate most modern stuff because I've been stuck in the 80's the past couple of years, & this is just a great album anyway, so those are enough reasons to purchase this underrated album by a great, hardly known band.

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem of that time period, November 19, 2004
Herbert West (The Rabbit Hole) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
This review is coming from someone who really likes punk/old school industrial, but this album is awesome. I like a handful of the Clan's albums but this one is my fav. As 80's as the synths and drums sound with the goth vocals, this disc is streaming with wonderful melody. The songs are catchy and melodic, as well as uplifting sometimes. Its still mostly goth but with a new wave backbone this time around. This album has and will be with me until cd players are obsolete. Note: This album cannot be purchased without Creatures, they go so good together. One of best mellow goth rock albums for sure

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem during the lull, August 27, 2005
Arevee "Mel" (Orlando, Florida United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
I practically wore this album out when I bought it. I think the reason was that during this period of time in music there was next to nothing good at all being produced. Twist Of Shadows was and still is a refreshing blend of Gothic without being too overwhelmingly gloomy and modern synth pop that doesn't get too cheesy. Lyrically the songs are not very meaningful but they are all so well crafted that you have to appreciate the final product.

5.0 out of 5 stars three albums you must own, December 16, 1999
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
I discovered Xymox in 1990. I was introduced to them by a friend who was into the rave scene and I was absolutely blown away by their orchestration, emotion, and raw talent. Three albums were available at the time: Clan of Xymox, Twist of Shadows, and Phoenix. These three form an exquisite progression. Clan of Xymox has a rare quality of originality among rave music. Twist of Shadows displays a larger production budget and more complex orchestration. Phoenix presents a maturity that seems to be the bluesy flower of the energetic adolescence of the first 2. The entrancing voice of Anka Wolbert still sends chills up my spine after 10 years of repeated listening. If you were ever into "New Wave" "Modern Rock" "Rave" or "Goth", you must own these seminal works of an amazing band. At their best, Xymox was as good or better than: the Cure, U2, New Order, or Depeche Mode.

5.0 out of 5 stars more commercial but good, January 29, 2006
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
The band's 3rd album, released in 1989 signalled a change not just in sound, but in name too. Abandoning "Clan Of" to become just "Xymox" and signed to a major label, the band's musical approach became more commerical, although the core sound was still routed in darkwave territory. "Evelyn" , "Obsession" "In The City"are the 4 best tracks IMO, but also worth a mention is "Craving", which is probably the one track that is most reminiscent of their previous album, Medusa. Not the best album to start your Xymox collection with (for that, go for the self titled album , "Medusa" or "Hidden Faces or anything later"), but for fans of the band, it's a must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive, September 21, 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
This is not only one of the 5 best cd's I have ever bought, but it is utterly addictive. Once you listen to it, you will not stop for a long time. You just cannot put it down. Whenever I am about to take a long drive somewhere, this is the first cd I grab. It is that good. I wish other less talented bands would listen to it to see what good music that is actually listenable sounds like. Thank god there are great European bands like XYMOX to take us away from the boring, mundane crap that is played on the radio. This is what alternative music should be. Not the semi-mainstream crap alternative has become. It is a shame very few bands sound this good. Just about every song in the cd is great. My favorites are EVELYN, CRAVING, and IN THE CITY.

3.0 out of 5 stars Synthie-Pop, with a "Twist" of Goth..., January 12, 2001
Morado (cincinnati, ohio USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
Some of my favorites: "Evelyn"/"Obsession"/"Craving"/"The River."
Worth checking out: De/Vision, Distain, B-Machine!

5.0 out of 5 stars twist of shadows, January 25, 2002
buryn (collingswood, NJ United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
this is simply one of the best albums of all time... floaty, dreamy, distant.. yet with a great driving rhythm.. and speaking of driving.. this cd is a must for long car journeys..xymox blends synth textures and reverbed guitars in a most melancholy way.. accented with ronny and ankas beautifully dark voices...it reminds me of night...

5.0 out of 5 stars "I keep dreaming of a million things, and they have wings", November 25, 2003
Thomas R. Carley Jr. (gresham, oregon United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twist of Shadows (Audio CD)
The only purpose to listen to this record is to dance, but it is dancing with a dark purpose in the shadows. Following in the paths of New Order, Clan Of Xymox has it's own mystery. They were once on the great 4AD label, along with other groundbreaking groups, like Cocteau Twins, Colourbox, and others. "Twist of Shadows" is also a great record to listen to while cruising down the highway, and when you do, blast it and let the music drive you.
My five favorites on the record are as follows. 1)"A Million Things". The lyrics are great with beats that match. 2)"Craving". I love the slow build up to one of the coolest dance songs ever, that has a rock feel to it. 3)"In The City". This one has an eerie feeling to it, kind of what a city feels like at dusk. Awesome. 4)"Obsession". Pure dance floor magic. The longing that is expressed in the music is what makes Clan Of Xymox special. 5)"Evelyn" The title track and the hit of the record is just great. Clan of Xymox has a unique feel to thier music, a great cross of Cocteau Twins meets New Order, with a little techno trown in. I highly recommend this record if you are looking for music that is a little on the mysterious side.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Twist of Shadows
Twist of Shadows by Clan of Xymox (Audio CD - 1994)
Rate and Discover Movies