5.0 out of 5 stars Need a twist in your life?
In today's mail was a lovely surprise! My copy of Twisted-Stitch Knitting, by Maria Erlbacher, had finally arrived.

Published on September 12, 2009 by Shirley M. Hooper

3.0 out of 5 stars Twisted stitches...
As a novice twisted stich user, I found this book less informative than others. I would not recommend as a tutorial but it had great historical value with some charts that were difficult to read for a novice.
Published 20 months ago by Anna

5.0 out of 5 stars Need a twist in your life?, September 12, 2009
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)

This was previously published in three small volumes as Uberlieferte Strickmuster. Now published in English, what a treasure trove this is, with 174 traditional sitch patterns, several pages devoted to explanation of techniques, plus patterns for men's and women's vests, sweaters and stockings. While there are no glossy colour photos, each pattern is accompanied by a black-and-white closeup photo of the pattern and/or garment, and a chart. There are no written out instructions, and although no line numbers are provided, the charts are easy enough to understand. In short, this is a no-nonsense book of twisted stitch patterns.

I am so glad that I got it, as it will be wonderfully handy when I get the courage to design my own stockings, or something else equally gorgeous and elegant!

5.0 out of 5 stars Here comes a Twister!, April 20, 2010
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
A wonderful, vast, expansive treasure chest of great, versatile patterns!

The charts are accurate and easy to read and to follow. I prefer charts over written, line-by-line instructions, since I can "see" the pattern in a chart and, thus, don't need line numbers.
I believe I read somewhere, that some of these patterns were also written down for children, who were knitting before they could read and write. They needed the symbols to follow. To me, most of the symbols are self-explanatory.
Even a beginning knitter can work his/her way through the patterns. Some of them are only a few stitches wide, ideal for a first taste of twisted knitting.

The black-and-white pictures show the structure and construction of each pattern really well. They also emphasize that twisted knitting originates in solid, (natural-)colored yarn. That's when those patterns look their best, IMO.

I love the versatility of these pattern: They can be done with any size yarn (depending on your taste! I don't like many patterns in bulky and super-bulky!), many different colors, and many, many, many, items: vests, sweaters, gloves, mittens, scarves, hats, and my favorites: SOCKS & KNEE-HIGHS, to name just a few.

I am a long-time follower of the "alpenländische" (relating to the Alps area) knitting traditions - so this book was a true treasure for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, authentic patterns from the Austrian Alps, October 21, 2010
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
This is such a great collection of traditional alpine knitting patterns, one of very few, even in Austria and Germany where those patterns come from. I've ordered the booklets from the museum that published them originally.

The patterns themselves range from very simple and suitable for beginners to quite challenging. It's a lot easier to knit them in the round than back and forth but absolutely manageable with a bit of practice. The instructions even include how to twist the stitches without a cable needle, really useful with the more complex patterns.

The only other comparable collection are the three books by Lisl Fanderl, "Baeuerliches Stricken", 1-3. Unfortunately they're out of print. Grab them in a second hand online shop if you can. Or just stick to this one since the majority of patterns are the same.

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted-Stitch Knitting from Austria, October 11, 2010
Book Muse (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
I have been wanting this book for a while. As soon as it arrived, I couldn't wait to to look through it. These patterns have been handed down from knitter to knitter since the 18th century. They were previously printed in 3 booklets by the Landschaftsmusuem in the Schloss Trautenfels in Austria. Twisted-Stitch knitting is a different type of knitting that makes an almost 3D effect. This is one book that you will have to read through the explanations of stitches before you start. The symbols are similar to what you are used to, but there are also different ones as well. It is also recommended that you do a gauge swatch to determine the needle & yarn combination that fits the design. Pictures of the knitted chart are black and white, but there is a lot of good contrast in them. Also in the back of the book there are patterns for vests, socks etc in which the previous charts are used.

I would highly recommend this book to anyone that appreciates the history of knitting or is just looking for a new challenge. This book helps to keep alive and preserve these patterns.

5.0 out of 5 stars my precioussss...., April 30, 2013
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
Normally, I'm happy to share my knitting books. I pass them around, I let people look through them for inspiration (although, of course, I never copy patterns, but instead encourage them to support the author and buy their own copy.)

This one is carefully hidden away in one of my knitting bags. I don't even want anyone else to touch it. The cables are amazing, and I've finally found a way to add texture to my knitting that doesn't add the bulk of more traditional cables.

I will say that the charts are hard to get used to - they give instructions a row beneath the row you are supposed to make the change on, so I keep getting mixed up. I finally ended up grabbing a knitting font, and retyping the patterns I am using in a more traditional chart format - now I'm able to cruise right along.

I will say, though, that these cables make "just one more row!" an even more likely phrase for my family to hear, because it's so fun to see what happens next!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great history of knitting patterns, January 18, 2011
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
This is not for beginners except for some history. It's mostly beautiful patterns and in my opinion a person should be an experienced knitter to use these patterns. I really enjoy this book and am pleased to add it to my knitting collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars really wonderful!, January 11, 2014
Nancy M. Lund (Chapel Hill, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
This book teaches how to do traditional Bavarian Twisted-stitch patterns.
Lots of examples in the book, step-by-step instructions to createTS designs

5.0 out of 5 stars must have for twisted stitches, August 24, 2013
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
Very informative but charting is non standard so it is a little hard to understand the charts at first. So many stitches!

5.0 out of 5 stars Twisted stitch knitting, July 6, 2013
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
I love all the patterns. I bought this to make my son a pair of socks to go with his lederhosen. I love books like this that tell you more than just the patterns. Some background. Fun reading when I am not knitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars resource, February 7, 2011
This review is from: Twisted-Stitch Knitting (Paperback)
I love complicated stitch patters, especially Arran and this book is great. The patterns are more delicate and suit fine yarns very well. A great resource book and one I will use again and again.

Twisted-Stitch Knitting
Twisted-Stitch Knitting by Maria Erlbacher (Paperback - August 10, 2009)
$28.00 $23.90