Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Twisted Vengeance: A Supernatural Thriller
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on December 16, 2011
A solid plot, excellent character development, and unexpected ending provides for a very entertaining serial murder mystery with a paranormal twist.

Twisted Vengeance features Rick Burns as a detective with a tidal wave of issues: a serial murder case, a dead son and a dead detective of a brother, a woman he loves but can't have, and a paranormal twist in the story that carries him deeper and deeper into the mystery.

I would rate Twisted Vengeance 4.3 stars out of 5 stars (I wish Amazon would let me rate this way). Upcoming author Jeff Bennington surpassed my expectations with not only his plot, but with his effective and descriptive writing skills. It was a pleasure to read Twisted Vengeance.

If you like a murder mystery, the paranormal, or the movie The Sixth Sense, then Twisted Vengeance by Jeff Bennington should be on your reading list.

Anthony Wessel onwer of DigitalBookToday.com and MnLakeWear.com.
on January 8, 2012
(I changed my vote for this book from 3 stars to 2. It has a ton of 5 star reviews but I just don't know why...I'm not sure I read the same book as everyone else, other than the guy who gave it 1 star. I think there's something fishy about all these 5 star reviews...especially since one of them comes from a review blog run by the author himself.)

I really wanted to like Twisted Vengeance but I just couldn't finish it. I got through seven chapters and never felt like I got to know the protagonist enough to care what happens to him, nor did I feel like he was ever truly in danger. Additionally, I felt like there were some things that both the author and his editor could have fined tuned. The narrative was confusing and unclear at times while the dialogue was a bit unnatural in certain areas. Add all of those things together and it just wasn't a good read.

This book is inexplicably acclaimed.
55 comments| 65 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 11, 2012
Review of Twisted Vengeance
By Jeff Barrington

I am always blest to open a book and find my attention captured from the first page. Almost all writing courses and how-to books recommend use of the "reader's hook," by which an author captures the reader's attention and never lets go; but honestly, not every writer seems to manage this. "Twisted Vengeance" accomplishes it in spades-from first page on, escalating the fear, the terror, the suspense, the mysteriousness of "reality"-this is a can't-be-put-aside novel. The Supernatural and paranormal elements are intertwined so well that they seem not only possible, but even realistic and factual. Suspension of disbelief is no problem here.

I love this book, but I have to say-it is not for the faint of heart nor the easily queasy of stomach. I've been reading horror, mystery, suspense, Supernatural, and paranormal for about 5.5 decades (plus watching horror films and TV about that long), and I thought I'd pretty much read everything gory and gruesome (think Graham Masterton), but "Twisted Vengeance" had me shaking my head in shivers and revulsion at some of the death scenes (I can think of at least one I'll never erase from my mind). However, let that be no reason to avoid a great book like this one!

Twisted Vengeance
on December 7, 2012
I am not really good at reviews, but this book is well written. I was captivated immediately by the characters and the writer's descriptions were so visual that I was actually in the book with them. I love to "get lost" in my books and this one kept my interest on every page. I never had to fast read to get past a dull point, it kept my attention and I couldn't wait to get back to the book every time I had to put it down. If you like supernatural thrillers with great endings, you will LOVE this book. Good writing, Jeff Bennington!
on September 17, 2014
I really, really enjoyed this story. Got me hooked and keep me reading on. At times I couldn’t wait to get back to the story. I enjoyed the twists and turns and characters. The only reason this is not a five star is due to the end of the book. Very unhappy with the ending! I should be used to is after reading so many Stephen King books since his never pan out the way I want them to either. No matter what this was a great story with elements of action, horror, paranormal and mystery.
To those who rated it a one star and claimed it was written as if it was a teenager writing it and accusing him of having his family and friends give him five stars. Get over yourselves. It was very well written and didn’t read as if written by a teen. I don’t know this author at all, in fact this is the first novel I have read by him and have downloaded a couple more now so there goes your theories!
To those who stated they couldn’t finish it..to bad for you because you missed out on a good story. I read both good and bad reviews before I purchase a book but many times I see the one stars and their reviews sound more like jealousy and that is when I will purchase the book.
Would recommend.
on September 10, 2012
This is the second book I have read by this author and it was indeed a supernatural thriller! The picture on the cover gave me the chills before I even began reading. Rick Burns, the detective trying to solve unusual murders over the last few years struggles with his own grief over losing his son and brother, and falling in love with his brother's widow. Rick looks for the connections among the murder victims and follows the ghostly child who wants to help him solve the crimes. Rick is also struggling with his what he believes is his own inadequacy, comparing himself to his deceased brother whom he is convinced was always a better detective than he could be. He examines the past of the young victim and his own past, learning much about himself and those he loved.
on November 9, 2012
This book kept me on the edge of my seat till the end. And....I would never have guessed the ending. A really scary and enthralling book that I would absolutely recommend to readers that enjoy the supernatural.
on November 6, 2012
If you like ghost stories and mysteries then this book is up your alley. It had me interested from the beginning, and kept me interested throughout. There were some weak spots but nothing to rate a 2 star.

If you like English or Gothic ghost stories you WILL like this story. It's just set in modern times with a guy as the main character - not a woman. I guess that some of the men who rated this story can't deal with a guy having difficulties like this character has.

I thought it was an entertaining read.
on October 1, 2012
This was a great, intelligent horror story, written as a detective-type novel. Fans of this genre will love it. Whodunnit goes to...WHAT did it?

I thought the author should have quit while he was ahead, though...the ending softened the echo of horror that sustained itself throughout the finely etched storytelling. Stop.
on November 17, 2015
I began this novel before an overseas move and it became temporarily shelved. However, the deeply creative and luring premise of the book stayed in my mind and brought me back. Isn't that what good books do? I was able to come back and barely miss a beat. And I'm glad that I finished this book.

The way the author skillfully meshes the characters' pasts with the serpentine road of the boy's mysterious journey and paranormal flights keeps the reader well engaged and hungry for more. But what sets this book apart is the creative enigma and evil tapestry of the boy and his past. In fact, the plot of the strange youngster is, I feel, the heart of this novel ... so much so that I wished the author had developed it even further.

I like the way the author brought in the police investigations and other very human elements; they gave an otherwise disturbingly supernatural novel a certain plausible gravity. The twists toward the end of the novel will leave everyone not just entertained, but spooked before bedtime.

Very well done and certainly worth the read.

Yours in literature,