5.0 out of 5 stars Brandy - The Phoenix Rise
Published on October 16, 2012 by Ensaeshah

3.0 out of 5 stars A Huge Fan, but still disapointed
I am a huge Brandy fan and have been since I was a little girl. From Brandy Dolls, to concerts, to being the first one at the store to pick up her CDs. Today was no exception. I even drove to 2 stores because the first store hadn't put it on the shelf yet. At any rate, I listened to most of the songs entirely and I'm a bit disappointed. I feel that the lyrics are a bit...
Published on October 16, 2012 by Angie B

5.0 out of 5 stars Brandy - The Phoenix Rise, October 16, 2012
Ensaeshah "j73ce" (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
After listening to this album by Brandy, I see this as the Phoenix Rise of Brandy. When I listen to this album, I hear the hunger; I can feel the confidence in which she sings the material this time around. Brandy's vocals are so textured and layered with much diversity. We all know how vocally versatile she is and this album puts her voice on display. The material in which she crafted along with her contributors is meant to change the direction in which her career had been going. When I hear Two Eleven, I hear shades of Full Moon but mostly as a professional viewer noted; it is the album that should have been made after Aphrodisiac. I would have to agree. This album has some haunting beats much in the same way that Aphrodisiac had. When someone makes a good meal there is a saying that the person "put their foot in it". Brandy and her contributors did more than that, they put their hands and their feet in this project and you can tell. Brandy should be proud of herself. A top ten R&B single with put it down, although not the best of the set. This album can take Brandy places if the machine behind her believes in the project because there is substance to the album and it deserves the promotion. Right now the track that is hauntingly playing in my head is Wish You Love Away. A very solid effort by Brandy and one that she should be proud.

5.0 out of 5 stars Two Eleven Is Pure Fire, October 17, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Audio CD)
Brandy has delivered one if not best R&B album of the year. She took a risk and it paid off in a good away. I've been a long Brandy fan from the 90s (94 to be correct), and to me Two Eleven is her best body of work to date.

The album opens up to a hard beat that ask the users to "Pump Me Up" then dives right into the sexy yet soulful "Wildest Dreams". "So Sick" has Norwood telling her man how she has had enough and is questioning the relationship. "Slower" is sexy - telling her lover to slow it down speed racer, and take it slower. "No Such Thing As Too Late, Let Me Go, Without You" add to the fire on the second half of the album.

Then comes Norwood's chart topping "Put It Down" feat. Chris Brown that drives the album into a different space that set's the mood for the follow up tracks. "Hardly Breathing" is the heart of the album. Brandy's voice truly shines on this song as well as "Do You Know What You Have?". "Scared of Beautiful" is a pure and honest song emotionally (one of the gems of the album), and "Wish Your Love Away", takes Norwood wishing she could get the love of her life out her head.

After the end of the tracks 11 & 12, my eyes were heavy but then Norwood spices things up with the sexy "Paint This House", followed by the Outro.

Stand out tracks

Wildest Dreams
So Sick
Slower
Let Me Go
Hardly Breathing
So You Know What You Have?
Scared of Beautiful
Wish Your Love Away

If you're looking for album that delivers from play to stop then "Two Eleven" is, an album that will speak to your heart in many ways. Brandy is back, and as a die hard star - her voice has truly been missed in music.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Real Conversation About Music., October 16, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
Let's Talk About Brandy. After all, a real conversation about music that doesn't include Brandy is incomplete.

We've all participated in the age-old debate about the best artists of our time. It's a list reserved for the usual suspects - the artists who dominate the repetitive airplay on the radio or the performance lineup of music award shows on TV, or conveniently, both. Anyone who has followed Brandy's career from the release of her first self-titled album to the eagerly anticipated release of 'Two Eleven' have always rated her in the top tier of that list despite her preposterous absence from the music industry's relevance radar.

Not only is Brandy relevant, but absolutely, undeniably necessary.

'Two Eleven' is more than just the album's moniker or her cleverly masqueraded birthday, it's a celebration of what is most loved and respected about Brandy as an artist, singer, songwriter, and performer. It's about her growth, her courage, her talent, and her uncanny ability to deliver records that motivate her fans to create new lists upon which to perch her at the top -- Best Runs in "Wildest Dreams", Sickest Harmonies in "Slower", Sweetest Pillow-Soft Tone in "Scared of Beautiful", Slickest Reinvention of Cool in "Let Me Go", Most Classic Delivery of the Brandy Sound in "Do You Know What You Have?", and the Realest Conversation about Music in "Music".

I always say that an artist in today's musical landscape should be exceptional. And that should be the rule. Brandy stands solidly as an exceptional artist. This album, like its predecessors, once again prove that fact beyond a doubt. "Two Eleven" is Brilliant. Whole. and Very Honest. Each song delivers a piece of Brandy - vulnerable, yet defiantly strong and beautiful - she puts it all out there with sweet nods to being a woman, fully in love, unafraid of her sexuality, and tenderly appreciating the blessings of her life. It's a gift. To Her. From Her. To Us.

Happy Two Eleven, Brandy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brandy's Big Comeback, October 25, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I was honestly into Brandy's last album, some of the songs were good, some of them were too yawn, and sadly, it wasn't as big as it should have been, and I think that it was kind of sad to see one of my favorite singers' albums go down the drain like that, but when I first realized that she was going to make a new album, I was having doubts if it would be one of her biggest ones yet, and I'll say that I was so wrong, when she first released "Put It Down", yeah, I thought it was okay at first, but then, the song grew on me, like a lot, and when "Wildest Dreams" was released as a single, that's when I KNEW that this was going to be her best album.

And whoop-de-doo, I was so right. This album was highly amazing, now here's my track by track review.

Intro - 5/5 --------- I honestly loved the introduction of the album, it was kind of like the introduction of what's to come, the music kind of reminded me a bit of Full Moon's "B-Rocka Intro."

Wildest Dreams - 5.5/5 ---------- The beat of this song, it's like BOOM-BOOM-BAM, and it's so addictive, her vocals on this song are highly amazing, and I love that she's actually breaking out of that hurt and the pain and putting in more pride and care in relationships, this is the best song for love.

So Sick - 4.5/5 ---------- This is when the feeling of the sound kind of slows down a bit. I loved this song too, but at the other side, I did feel like it needed more umph for me to repeat it as much, but those vocals are really hypnotizing.

Slower - 5/5 ----------- Chris Brown should really write more for Brandy. Although, the sexual side of Brandy seems to be out of her comfort zone, I feel like she still takes it to what an actual sexual song should be, it should be simple and sensual. The beat also makes the song 10 times as perfect.

No Such Thing As Too Late - 5.5/5 --------- Without this song, this album would totally incomplete, Rico Love makes the song amazing as well. At first, Brandy's vocals go from being soft and sweet to being serious and deep, her voice really shows a lot in this song, it shows that Brandy still has that magic from her Never Say Never - Full Moon days.

Let Me Go - 5/5 --------- I love the fact that she used Lykke Li as a sample in her song, however, the only thing that's kind of making me a little angry about this song is that it's too ... you know, quick, I wish it was longer, but forget the length, the song is really interesting and really catchy, and very likely easy to dance to.

Without You - 5.5/5 ---------- This was one of her best thorough vocal songs ever in this album, the beat also fits her voice, it's easy for me to understand the emotion in her voice when she sings, especially in the beginning, but at the chorus is where the emotion gains.

Put It Down - 5/5 ------------ Now, this is where I first thought Brandy wasn't going to improve with her new album, but realizing how much it grown on me, I changed my mind, the only thing that kind of makes me dislike this song is Chris Brown's rap, I would have preferred a duet, Brandy singing on one first verse and Chris on the second verse. But overall, I love the song.

Hardly Breathing - 5.5/5 ----------- Just like the Wildest Dreams, NSTATL and Without You, I could feel emotion in this song, and on top of that, Rico Love produced it. I loved this song to death,, I repeated this song non-stop, and it's just beyond amazing, and it's definitely a highlight from Two Eleven.

Do You Know What You Have - 5/5 -------- I loved this song. That's all I have to say. Just loved it, I don't even think that there is any good actual reasons of why, it's just too amazing.

Scared of Beautiful - 5.5/5 ----------- Now, I'll say, I LOVED Frank Ocean's version, and it's just so hard to compare two amazing artist versions together. But if I had any say, I loved Brandy's attempt. Frank Ocean is an amazing writer, and I'm kind of glad that Brandy's singing more challenging songs.

Wish Your Love Away - 5.5/5 ---------- Mario Winans. Thank you for writing this for Brandy. This song is highly amazing, the beat fits Brandy's voice definitely, it reminds me of Full Moon. The thing that I'm also glad is that she's taking challenges by using more "bad" words, although, I'm sure that's not what she wants, but "All them other bitches you could do without," kind of had me in awe, I loved the way she said it, but the emotion in this song is great.

Paint This House - 5/5 ----------- This honestly reminds me of something Drake would collaborate on, Rico Love did amazing on this song, and I think that if Brandy makes a new album years later, she should stick to Rico Love and Bangladesh and leave Rodney Jerkins/Darkchild alone, because her new style is showing because of this song.

Can You Hear Me Now, Music and What You Need - 4.5/5 ----- I'll be honest and say that I wasn't really fond of the bonus tracks as I thought I would, but the two highlights were Can You Hear Me Now and What You Need, I wasn't as interested in Music, but either way, they were all amazing as ever. What You Need has it's sexual type of side, it goes from a rough violin type of style in the beginning, and lowers down to a pop type of feeling, while Can You Hear Me Now has it's amazing vocals and it's amazing beat.

OVERALL. Two Eleven is just what Brandy needed to make the amazing comeback, it didn't even have to be as perfect, and it wasn't horrible at all, this was just right, just what the fans needed. Two Eleven is BY FAR, the best R&B album this year, no doubt about it.

5.0 out of 5 stars I dont know how anybody can rate this album as 1 or 2 stars, October 20, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
BRANDY!!!!!!!!!! You dont even know what you did on this album. Brandy DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOU GOT HERE????? It's been on repeat since Tuesday at work, at home, in the car etc.... I love the whole album. My faves are hardly breathing, Scared of beautiful (OMG this song is deeeeeeeppppp), so sick, what you need, slower, without you. And I love the sensual side of Brandy. FLAWLESS!!!! The album has all my feelings messed up :) :(. And I know everybody is entitled to their opinions but anybody that's giving this album a 1 or 2 stars rating is probably not listening to the Two eleven album im listening to

5.0 out of 5 stars Brandy's BEST work to date, October 19, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
When Brandy comes out with an album, I know people won't hesitate to compare how it matches up with her previous work. But let me tell you why it's criminal to even think of doing that.

I love the fact that each of her albums offer a completely different sound from the others, and she uses a different voice on each one. The debut album, which in my opinion is definitely overlooked and discounted by some but it was a great introduction for her. She channeled Whitney Houston in her vocals but still had her own distinct style. Never Say Never, although her most successful album, I feel most people cling to this album because of nostalgia. The Full Moon and Afrodisiac albums solidified Brandy as a singer's singer, a true musical, vocal Icon among her peers and for those who came after her. Human is also a gem, as it like all her other albums reflects the state of where Brandy was at in her life at the time. I simply love that about Brandy's music. It's literally like, however she's feeling during that time in her life, her music reflects her feelings and she's amazing at giving a variety of emotions in her songs.

But let's get to this album! This album is one of the best R&B albums of the year. It borrows from past Brandy eras vocally and musically and combines them together to form something that sounds uniquely fresh, classic, and futuristic simultaneously! From the classic, bangin' vibe given off from "Wildest Dreams" to the progressive edge of "Slower", to the emotional depth of "Hardly Breathing" Brandy takes her listeners on a cosmic journey with her multi-dimensional voice. Another standout track is the amazingly done "Without You". Just listen and be amazed.

This album showcases Brandy's voice in a new light. She tackles a variety of subjects, emotions, and feelings. She gives you sexiness, sultriness, confidence, love, and so much more. I just LOVE how Brandy's music is actually a reflection of what takes place in her pesonal life, as that makes her music so genuine, real, and relatable. This album shows off more of Brandy's sexy side as well, but it's not overdone. It's actually done quite tastefully, especially on the bonus track "What You Need". Brandy repeats that throughout the song as it seems that she's rechanelled a bit of "Bran'Nu" who most would've thought was long gone. The bass line and the strings on that song in the verses just add such a haunting, chilling vibe to it. But this is a very rich album, from the vocals, to the lyrics, to the production, it's just simply remarkable. For some people, it may have to grow on you after a few listens because this is a very RICH album, almost like the gourmet dessert treat that was "Full Moon", but it's worth it!

Don't be fooled by lead single Put It Down, as that song doesn't even scratch the surface of the vibe of this album. As a matter of fact, I'd have to agree with some reviews that have said that Put It Down is one of the album's weaker offerings, but the rest of the album is just amazing. I think the uptempo song with the Swedish Pop singer Lykke Li sample "Let Me Go" is a lot catchier and easier to sing along with than the lead single. Also, Let Me Go's melody is less wordy than Put It Down. That's a great song, and who would've predicted that for Brandy's album? The only thing that I think is missing is a torch song, or a ballad where she truly unleashes the power of her voice, like in her bathroom banger videos. Other than that, a job well done. My opinion, get this album and experience it for your own ears, you most likely won't regret the purchase.

My favorite tracks: No Such Thing As Too Late, What You Need, Without You, Slower, and Paint This House

5.0 out of 5 stars "Two Eleven": Quietly Reminded of Greatness, October 24, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
It has been one week and one day since I picked up the Deluxe Version of Brandy's "Two Eleven." In these nine days, I've only listened to Miguel's "Kaleidoscope Dream" other than Brandy, which is also great, then went right back to "Two Eleven."

On this sixth offering, Brandy has painted a vivid picture of what love, loss, joy, fun, desire, heartbreak, and triumph looks like through song. Unlike the safe, but enjoyable "Human," this is Brandy below the skin. She is once again the unapologetically vulnerable artist who is giving us her again. This is not to say that masterpieces like "Camouflage," "Long Distance" and "Shattered Heart" didn't give us a peek into her vulnerability that we were used to, but the songs on "Two Eleven," as a collection, just seem to tell a more complete story.

There are two songs on the album where Brandy appears to be singing for dear life: "No Such Thing As Too Late" and "Without You." Soaring, gorgeous vocals. These are Brandy's finest vocal performances on the album. "Without You" is now ranked in my top five Brandy songs.

"Hardly Breathing" effortlessly captures the elements of progressive R & B's current mood. The Weeknd, Muhsinah, Frank Ocean, and Rochelle Jordan are some of its progenitors. We can easily look back to Janet as well as Aaliyah for a similar sensibility. Brilliant song.

I believe it was a smart move to collaborate with Chris Brown on "Put It Down." This song is not simply a song to put Brandy on the map again or a play at the charts. This is a genuine collaboration that actually works. It, emotionally, doesn't compare to some of the other tracks on the album but it's a good song. I disagree with people who say that this track does not "represent" the quality of the album. The track is of high quality just like the rest.

Like "Put it Down," "Let Me Go" has been erroneously labeled as "too young sounding" or "too cookie cutter." This is an extremely innovative track production wise. Remember, Brandy has always embraced the future and this track speaks to this impulse. It is not necessarily one of my favorites but this is Brandy pushing her work.

"Wildest Dreams" is great. "So Sick" and "Do You Know What You Have" are both smart, sensual, and should be sent to radio immediately. Great songs.

"Scared of Beautiful" sounds a lot like Frank and Brandy does an excellent job of interpreting these lyrics. The more I listen to it, the more Brandy becomes apparent. Wonderful song.

"Wish Your Love Away" is another favorite. I love how she sounds in her lower register on this song. "Remember that you told me that you loved me?"

"Paint This House" is gorgeous. Very melancholy, yet sensual. Brilliant combination. Love this song.

Recently, India.Arie paid tribute to Brandy. It was beautiful. India has a song on her debut album "Acoustic Soul" called "Always in my Head," which is her song about how important music is to her life. Brandy's "Music" is such a song in this pantheon. Fantastic song.

No Brandy fan should be on the fence about purchasing this album. It is stunning. She reminds us of why we've loved her and why we should continue to love her in the future. She is classic and innovative. Familiar and new. "Two Eleven" represents her birth, the death of an icon, and a life that can breathe through it all.

4.6

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rise & Shine of R&Brandy, November 4, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
All I'mma say is, if you want any R&B album that you can Cuddle, Dance, Cry, Vent, Sex, Break up and Make up too, than this is your album. EVERY SONG is either Good, Great or Excellent! (With everything being more on the excellent side.) Brandy is giving you everything that made you fall in love with her plus Edge and Extreme Growth. Stellar CLEAR lead vocals, her signature harmonies & Ad-libs that only she can do. And her range has also broaden. Her lows are DOWN there without losing the essence of voice and while she's never been classified a powerhouse vocalist, she's is belting to the Gods on this album effortlessly without OVER singing. I can go on and on about this album, but it truly speaks for itself. If you are a Brandy fan or just a fan of good R&B music, this album is a must have. Please support good music. We don't want to lose the genre of R&B for it is being overshadowed by Pop, Twerk Tunes and degrading Rap (Which I listen too). But for some reason, R&B is not selling, yet everyone enjoys it. Anyhow, Brandy is BACK and regards of this albums final outcome, Brandy has put together yet another incredible record, and in my opinion has OUT Done herself!!! Two ELEVEN!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank You Brandy, November 4, 2013
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
I bought this album the day it came out. I'm a huge Brandy fan and this album only made me love her even more. She completely reintroduced herself to the world with this album. Her voice on this album was just amazing. She really showed her vocal range on this album. The runs on Wish your love away and Slower are everything. I can't choose a favorite because this entire album is soooo good. Thank you Brandy for showing the world that you are still one to be reckoned with. One of the best R&B albums of 2012 and 2013.

5.0 out of 5 stars CLASSIC., October 26, 2012
This review is from: Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) (Audio CD)
This album is hands down THE best work from Brandy. I really did not believe that she could have topped Full Moon, because once artists have been out for nearly 20 years they rarely top their earlier classic work. Brandy is one of those rare artists in the music industry that consistently puts out EXCELLENT material. I love her for staying true to herself, and not giving into the pressure of the mediocre music industry and the foolishness that has been playing on the radio today.

Favorite songs on the album: Slower, Without You, Do You Know What You Have?, and Wish Your Love Away.

Bottom line, this album is an INSTANT CLASSIC and will be played many years down the line. If you do not like this album, then you are not a fan of genuine music from the soul period. Do yourself a favor and purchase this album, and make Brandy the Platinum selling recording artist we all are use to.

Two Eleven (Deluxe Version)
Two Eleven (Deluxe Version) by Brandy (Audio CD - 2012)